SMC Discussion Areas
June 02, 2024, 01:44:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 56 Square top question  (Read 6709 times)
choice120
« on: December 27, 2008, 09:43:52 am »

I am in the process of restoring a v56. On the refrigeration system I have hooked up a 3 in 1 starter. As I was trouble shooting I noticed when I plug the compressor directly into an extension cord the all the coils on the evaporator get nice and frosty with a frost built up on them. When I go to run the the unit normal with the compressor plugged into the power block only the top 2 or so coils get frost  built up on them. Is this normal when the system is running in a normal configuration or not ? I have the whole unit out of the machine so there is no way to test how well it cools. Thanks Guys drinking
Here is a pic of what the evaporator looks like when every thing is hooked up normally.

Here is the other side

When I plug in just the compressor with an extension cord the whole evaporator gets frosty like the couple coils above.  help
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 03:34:44 pm by choice120 » Logged
choice120
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 04:05:17 pm »

Here is the evaporator with the compressor plugged directly into an extension cord. All coils are nice and frosty.

Do you think it could be the power block the compressor plugs into may be at fault since it works on an extension cord?
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 04:09:11 pm »

I can't see how the use of an extension cord could possibly change things, but maybe somebody more knowledgable about refrigeration systems will chime in.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
zadd
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 06:26:12 pm »

In my experience plugging it into the extension cord directly showed that the unit had freon and worked . If the unit frosted plugged into the extension cord and not in the power block I would say it needs a new thermostat . I bought several non cooling machines and plugged them into the extension cord and had them frost then replaced the t-stat and they worked great . Just my two cents biggrin

Zadd
Dr Pepper Queen Anne Bottle Machine
Dr Pepper Queen Anne Can Machine
7up Ideal 55 slider
Vendo 81D
VMC 33D
Nehi Pelco Koolie
choice120
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 10:15:11 pm »

figured it out. low refrigerant. Bought a can of freeze 12 added a little and she is down to 31 degrees in 30 minutes. I now know I must have a small leak and will have to either find it or replace system. whats the best way to find a leak?
zadd
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 07:24:52 am »

Pressurize the system to manufacture specs with a gas (nitogen I think) and look for the leak. Also look for a oily spot around the coils or cooling lines . It could be a rusty condenser then you might be screwed . Just my two cents .

Zadd
7up Ideal 55 slider
Vendo 81D
VMC 33D
Nehi Pelco Koolie
choice120
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 08:48:39 am »

I think you are right rusty condenser. I may have a deck lined up from someone. Hopefully?
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 09:46:46 am »

For small & really small leaks, the best method I've used is UV leak detector dye injected into the system & a UV lightsource (FYI...UV=Ultra-Violet light ie: "Black-light") you can pickup a UV dye injection kit fairly affordably, & you can find them locally at most automotive supply shops ( Murrays, Autozone, PEP Boys, etc.) they may have them behind the counter/in the back at this time of year, so you may have to ask them to let you have a look in the back to locate a kit) or you could maybe rent an electronic refrigerant leak detector

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Yarochrehc
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 11:17:07 pm »

You can also use some soapy water and spray it on the coils, copper lines to see if any bubbles form, if so you have found your leak

Bob

Restored
Vendo H63B  Coke in use in basement
Original
Vendo V/VF63/7  Pepsi in use

Restoring: Glascock Standard
(2) Vendo 63
(2)Vendo 90
Vendo 126  waiting for paint
VMC 56
Westinghouse WE-6
zadd
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 07:18:10 am »

Looking at your photo's again . I think the coils are doing what there suppose to be doing . I would make sure both fans are working and replace the t-stat and see how she cools . I still think it's just a bad t-stat  smile

Zadd
7up Ideal 55 slider
Vendo 81D
VMC 33D
Nehi Pelco Koolie
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: