SMC Discussion Areas
July 03, 2024, 04:58:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Glass Bottle Resurgance  (Read 8386 times)
Fire708
25 Cent Member

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 11:43:16 pm »

I think pixel is right on the mark. My wife and I visited family In Europe last year, plastic is just starting to appear. It's sad, something about glass just makes the soda better, and the sugar doesn't hurt.

Maybe the US bottlers will start producing, the coke products are all imported. That has to figure into the cost.
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 08:21:06 am »

One thing I haven't heard much mention of is glass bottle Pepsi, are those still around?

My local grocery stores here in PA are carrying Pepsi and Mt. Dew in glass bottles.

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Jcarter168
5 Cent Member

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 09:19:01 am »

My local store has the Mexi Coke, Sprite and Fanta also along with the 8 oz bottles.  We have a new Wal Mart grocery just down the street and they carry the Jarritos and Mexi Pepsi plus lots of other Mexican glass bottle stuff I've never even heard of.  But I still have to travel to Branson, Missouri to get glass bottle Dr. Pepper.  For some reason they carry it there but nowhere else in the state.

Here is what I do on the 8 oz Cokes.  Go to Target at Christmas time, they always have them on sale for around $3 and you get a free coke bear if you by 3 or more.  I just buy enough to last me most of the year, then I don't have to pay $4.99 a six pack at the grocery store.

Vendo 81D Original x2
VMC 110 Pepsi
Vendo 63 Dr. Pepper Queen Anne (Cans)
Cavalier CS-80E
Cavalier C-55D
Cavalier CS-64ES
Cavalier CSS-64FS
Westinghouse WC-102MD x2
Selectivend 9A Dr. Pepper original
Selectivend 1A Dr. Pepper, 7up, RC
SureVend Pepsi P-47
boss
5 Cent Member

Cautiously Optimistic

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 10:48:01 am »

I ordered 2 cases of Dr Pepper in 12 oz bottles in December for about 50 cents a bottle. I went back to the same chain (different location) in Feb and the price was $1.19 a bottle.  I think I'll try the first location again when these run out.

Fresh, not from concentrate.
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 01:58:09 pm »

I think pixel is right on the mark. My wife and I visited family In Europe last year, plastic is just starting to appear. It's sad, something about glass just makes the soda better, and the sugar doesn't hurt.

Maybe the US bottlers will start producing, the coke products are all imported. That has to figure into the cost.

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that imported raw sugar is tariffed, but products made with that sugar then imported are not. I think that holds even under the
North American Free Trade Agreement, but don't quote me on that.

That would help explain Mexican sodas made with sugar being imported here, particularly where NAFTA is concerned. It may be cheaper to import them that to make them here. Especially if Coca-Cola US has not formally sanctioned this importation.

You can of course still get domestic Coke in glass bottles, but it's still sweetened with HFCS, and not much different from Mexican Coke in price. I have become concerned about the quality of the water used in Mexican Coke, however.
Fire708
25 Cent Member

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 08:19:46 am »

Unfortunately, that makes  sense.
Ross
10 Cent Member

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 06:48:05 pm »

My local Sam's Club now has a mixed case (24) of Mexican Cokes (12), Sprite (6), and Fanta Orange (6) for $18.88.  It is the same price as the case of Mexican Cokes.  The sign said onetime purchase.  Not sure how widespread the availability.

Westinghouse WE-6
Vendo V-110
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: