SMC Discussion Areas
June 02, 2024, 11:46:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Glass Bottle Resurgance  (Read 8145 times)
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« on: March 18, 2014, 04:31:37 pm »

I know this has been discussed on here a few times, couldn't find the old thread to add on to though.

I have noticed a lot more glass bottles in the local grocery stores here in NC, not sure if it's becoming more popular or just a phase.

Here's what my local Harris Teeter has in stock for the common brands:

355mL: MexiCoke, MexiSprite, Fanta Orange/Grape/Strawberry/Pineapple (plus all the Jarritos flavors)
8oz: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Dr. Pepper
12oz: Pepsi, Mt. Dew

Pretty good selection for stocking machines (that is if you use them for soda!  drinking )

Found the old thread, mods feel free to merge, I can't delete this one: http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,16858.50.html
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 04:36:57 pm by tkaz » Logged

georgescustompaint
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 05:07:11 pm »

Good to see more bottles making a comeback.
Dr pepper !!!!! Sweet. Haven't seen that in bottles in a long time

halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 06:32:09 pm »

What? No Cheerwine?

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 07:01:19 pm »

Now I have the Fanta song stuck in my head

I dreamed I had a good job and I got well paid.
I blew it all at the penny arcade.

-Eric Clapton & B.B. King
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 07:27:56 pm »

If only they weren't so expensive. I mean, I know soft drinks in all packages have went out of sight in recent years, but even now they charge a premium on glass bottles. Over $1.00 each!
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 07:51:26 pm »

Funny you posted this as I was just noticing this today when I went to visit our local Target store.  They had multiple varieties of Fanta and Coke in 12oz glass bottles.   Also, I am seeing the varieties of 8oz glass bottles too like Dr. Pepper, Sprite, Coke....etc.  In fact in my original post from last year that you mentioned (http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,16858.50.html) I had an update that I spoke with the local store manager at Lowes Grocery stores about ordering multiple cases of diet coke in 8oz bottles.  Since then I have been doing it about every 3 months.  I just call him, place my order and in about 2 weeks I get my Diet Coke.  I am not sure how long it is going to last, but so far so good. 
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 07:56:35 pm »

I am starting to see many cool soda bottles around here also but I agree the cost doesn't come down, still at least $1 per bottle if you buy it in singles by the each or 4 or 6 pack. Hard to justify paying that when the 12 pack cans go on sale for $3 which is 25 cents per can. Plus at $1 per bottle it's cheaper to buy most beers. That is why you will only find beer in my coke machine and soda cans in my fridge. Unless I win the lottery of coarse. PS. I was referencing the above as 12oz but even the 8oz are still at least a buck.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 07:58:25 pm by mygoose101 » Logged

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 08:05:40 pm »

The prices on the 8oz 6-packs were about $4.50, which is getting better, but I agree the big ones are still too much to justify vs. cans. 

I remember going to Ireland 5 years ago and everything was in small glass bottles, from tonic water to Coke, and it was all put in crates on the curb to be refilled.  Much more significant glass too, just like the old Coke bottles.

Ross
10 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 08:15:40 pm »

I have been have good luck finding glass bottle sodas in central Illinois.  Sam's club carries IBC Root Beer by the case at about $0.40 per bottle.  They also have the Mexican Coke by the case.  I believe it is around $0.75 per bottle.  K-Mart is good for IBC Black Cherry, Cream Soda, and Grape, Strawberry and Orange Crush for about $0.55 per bottle buying 6 packs.  Wal-Mart also carries the Orange, Strawberry and Orange Crush for a similar price.  Several other varieties are available, but they are around $1 per bottle.  Hopefully, more will drop their price closer to the $0.50 per bottle range.

Westinghouse WE-6
Vendo V-110
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 09:19:41 pm »

I have been have good luck finding glass bottle sodas in central Illinois.  Sam's club carries IBC Root Beer by the case at about $0.40 per bottle.  They also have the Mexican Coke by the case.  I believe it is around $0.75 per bottle.  K-Mart is good for IBC Black Cherry, Cream Soda, and Grape, Strawberry and Orange Crush for about $0.55 per bottle buying 6 packs.  Wal-Mart also carries the Orange, Strawberry and Orange Crush for a similar price.  Several other varieties are available, but they are around $1 per bottle.  Hopefully, more will drop their price closer to the $0.50 per bottle range.

$0.40 bottle = $9.60/24 or $2.40/6 - That's not a bad price at all for IBC these days.

Glass bottles carry considerably more risks for the store and bottler, which I can't help but think is being factored into their price. They can be broken easily before they're paid for, and people can easily get hurt on the broken glass. I don't know if they will ever get much cheaper because of that. That may be one reason glass bottles are more common in other countries, fewer lawsuits.

One thing I haven't heard much mention of is glass bottle Pepsi, are those still around?
Fire708
25 Cent Member

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 11:43:16 pm »

I think pixel is right on the mark. My wife and I visited family In Europe last year, plastic is just starting to appear. It's sad, something about glass just makes the soda better, and the sugar doesn't hurt.

Maybe the US bottlers will start producing, the coke products are all imported. That has to figure into the cost.
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 08:21:06 am »

One thing I haven't heard much mention of is glass bottle Pepsi, are those still around?

My local grocery stores here in PA are carrying Pepsi and Mt. Dew in glass bottles.

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Jcarter168
5 Cent Member

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 09:19:01 am »

My local store has the Mexi Coke, Sprite and Fanta also along with the 8 oz bottles.  We have a new Wal Mart grocery just down the street and they carry the Jarritos and Mexi Pepsi plus lots of other Mexican glass bottle stuff I've never even heard of.  But I still have to travel to Branson, Missouri to get glass bottle Dr. Pepper.  For some reason they carry it there but nowhere else in the state.

Here is what I do on the 8 oz Cokes.  Go to Target at Christmas time, they always have them on sale for around $3 and you get a free coke bear if you by 3 or more.  I just buy enough to last me most of the year, then I don't have to pay $4.99 a six pack at the grocery store.

Vendo 81D Original x2
VMC 110 Pepsi
Vendo 63 Dr. Pepper Queen Anne (Cans)
Cavalier CS-80E
Cavalier C-55D
Cavalier CS-64ES
Cavalier CSS-64FS
Westinghouse WC-102MD x2
Selectivend 9A Dr. Pepper original
Selectivend 1A Dr. Pepper, 7up, RC
SureVend Pepsi P-47
boss
5 Cent Member

Cautiously Optimistic

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 10:48:01 am »

I ordered 2 cases of Dr Pepper in 12 oz bottles in December for about 50 cents a bottle. I went back to the same chain (different location) in Feb and the price was $1.19 a bottle.  I think I'll try the first location again when these run out.

Fresh, not from concentrate.
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 01:58:09 pm »

I think pixel is right on the mark. My wife and I visited family In Europe last year, plastic is just starting to appear. It's sad, something about glass just makes the soda better, and the sugar doesn't hurt.

Maybe the US bottlers will start producing, the coke products are all imported. That has to figure into the cost.

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that imported raw sugar is tariffed, but products made with that sugar then imported are not. I think that holds even under the
North American Free Trade Agreement, but don't quote me on that.

That would help explain Mexican sodas made with sugar being imported here, particularly where NAFTA is concerned. It may be cheaper to import them that to make them here. Especially if Coca-Cola US has not formally sanctioned this importation.

You can of course still get domestic Coke in glass bottles, but it's still sweetened with HFCS, and not much different from Mexican Coke in price. I have become concerned about the quality of the water used in Mexican Coke, however.
Fire708
25 Cent Member

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 08:19:46 am »

Unfortunately, that makes  sense.
Ross
10 Cent Member

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 06:48:05 pm »

My local Sam's Club now has a mixed case (24) of Mexican Cokes (12), Sprite (6), and Fanta Orange (6) for $18.88.  It is the same price as the case of Mexican Cokes.  The sign said onetime purchase.  Not sure how widespread the availability.

Westinghouse WE-6
Vendo V-110
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: