SMC Discussion Areas
June 28, 2024, 10:25:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To blast or not to blast?  (Read 3894 times)
bergy
5 Cent Member

« on: September 30, 2011, 02:37:53 pm »

I am in the process of restoring my Vendo 44 and have the machine apart. I will be doing the body work. When I talked to the guy that is going to paint it he said don't bother sand blasting just sand by hand the areas that need work and then prime them. But to me it would almost seem easier to sand blast it and repair and prime it. The paint appears to be completely original. It has typical dings and scratches for a 50s machine, but overall is in good shape. Any thoughts suggestions from people that have already done this?
Thanks.
briandr1
25 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 04:08:15 pm »

Get a new painter if he doesnt want to blast it down you may regret it if you dont, paint is only as good as the prep work.

selectivend 64 sa
2 cavalier 96
1975 bally hi deal em pinball machine
1920 wate and fate penny  scale
cokecolaman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 05:34:51 pm »

Ditto! Only as good as the prep!

VMC Coke 88 (nice original)
VMC Pepsi 81
VMC Orange Crush 81
VMC Squirt 81
VMC Dr. Pepper 81
VMC RC 81
VMC 7up 81 st
Vendo 44 original
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Cavalier 33
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 06:32:57 pm »

I must disagree somewhat. I do agree that prepwork is important but I'm sure Vendo did just that, so a re-paint over original will still have a good base to it.

Chips should be filled rather than sanded smooth though, to avoid a wavy finish but if the old paint hasn't peeled or cracked in 50 years, I usually don't remove it. I did take a multi-layered Pepsi machine in to be sandblasted 2 months ago and the guy warped the side of it trying to remove decals. darn

Two exceptions, and the first is rust removal where blasting is preferred but will surely take the paint off with it.  Secondly, is blasting the embossed letters and surrounding areas as removing prior material will result in them looking much deeper and clearer. I just use a small home blast unit for this.

Glen
bergy
5 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 11:36:47 pm »

What you are saying about the base being good is what my painter was saying. I was thinking the same thing about the embossing. I think what I will do is sand down any imperfections and fill/sand prime them. Sandblast the embossing and prime those areas. Then i will scuff up the original paint. I am actually surprised how good the original paint is. It just has a few to many dings to leave it as is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: