SMC Discussion Areas
May 19, 2024, 10:24:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cavalier Coca-Cola vending machine model #CSS-64FS  (Read 21249 times)
GSP1

« on: October 28, 2013, 06:25:13 pm »

I found one locally for $150. It's in fair condition. I think it's a model #CSS-64FS, judging from the pictures I found online. I don't know if it works, so to be on the safe side I'll assume it does not.

Can anyone tell me if this is a desirable model, is the price good and what era is this machine from? It's a 20 cent machine.

It looks alot like this: http://www.antiquehelper.com/item/313541
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 07:06:54 pm by GSP1 » Logged
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 07:36:22 pm »

Yes, that is the best model they produced.

Glen
cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 07:10:16 am »

For $150 it would be hard to go wrong.  Great machine for a restore.

Greg
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 07:51:50 am »

Interesting that working machine with the nice light-up sign in the auction sold for $80.00 back in 2007.

There would have been a lot more bidding on it in 2013.

Glen
GSP1

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 03:18:51 pm »

Thanks for the replies.

I plan to get it after I acquire the parts for my cooler.

GSP1

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 10:20:41 pm »

I was curious the approx. cost to rebuild this machine if most parts will have to be rebuilt or replaced and what the value would be once restored. It will need to be repainted. Also, what era is this from? The 60's right?
cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 07:31:56 am »

It is from the 60's.  If all the parts are there you are looking at about $2500 to get it professionally restored. Could go higher depending on how you finish it.  If you are doing it for your own use, they are great machines and worth restoring in my opinion. If you are restoring it to resell you will probably not get back what you put into the restore.

Greg
GSP1

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 01:22:54 pm »

I plan to do as much of it myself as possible. I might go look at it again after while. If I do I'll try to take some pictures of it.
GSP1

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 07:52:41 pm »

Here it is. It only has 3 shelves, no keys and some rot on the bottom of the bottle door. I think it has some chrome missing from the front. I don't know how hard it's going to be to find the missing parts. Any advice, ideas? All input is welcome.

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 08:11:04 pm by GSP1 » Logged
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 08:42:02 pm »

That is the deluxe model which included the light-up sign, stainless exterior trim and end caps on each end of the coin entry plate.
       The lock and shelves are no problem to find.   I think it's a good candidate for restoration.

Glen
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 08:56:57 pm »

That's the trim level my drawings were based on. I didn't know Cavalier ever designated trim levels like "deluxe". The trim is stainless? I thought it was chrome.
GSP1

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 09:00:50 pm »

That is the deluxe model which included the light-up sign, stainless exterior trim and end caps on each end of the coin entry plate.
       The lock and shelves are no problem to find.   I think it's a good candidate for restoration.

Thanks MoonDawg, I like the light-up sign/color combo on the picture you posted better than that of my future machine. Any ideas the approximate year of mine? Also, which of the two is more rare/desireable?
 The white paint inside the door area on this one is flaking bad and I wasn't sure if it had been repainted sometime after it had left the factory.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 10:05:36 pm »

Also, which of the two is more rare/desireable?

The picture I posted is your model with all the trim chromed or polished.

The white was re-done by Coke, see how they placed their slogan further back on the sides?

Glen
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 10:23:47 pm »

Your red "Enjoy Coca-Cola" is a later marquee. At least the plexiglass part is. The sides were repainted to a later style, common during the woodgrain-era. The original would have looked more like this on the sides. Note that you might have had a different slogan, the outline of the white might have been a different shape. I think there were different sub-styles.

To me, it looks like your machine was "updated" to match the style of Cavalier CSS-64 common from about the mid sixties on, like
this one, but without the woodgrain.

The top machine (and the bottom one also, I think) were restored by our very own Pat Pixley (aka Custom Soda Works). They look fantastic.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 10:34:02 pm by Pixel » Logged
GSP1

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 10:51:51 pm »

Thanks for the information. I will definitely return this one back to it's original style. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up this week.
GSP1

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 10:59:28 pm »

The top machine (and the bottom one also, I think) were restored by our very own Pat Pixley (aka Custom Soda Works). They look fantastic.

Yes they both look great.
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 11:44:50 pm »

I'm not an expert on these machines by any means, I'm learning as I go myself. If you aren't sure about something, feel free to post to the forum.

I owned a woodgrain style machine similar to the one I just posted (but nowhere close to as good a shape), for several years. When the cooling system is right, you can't ask for a better one, IMO. The later Cavaliers have a slightly different cooling system, but I don't know of any reason the early ones shouldn't be just as good. I never owned one in your style, but I really like the detailing on them.
SelVend 7 up
5 Cent Member

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 12:25:10 pm »

Pixel, how on earth did you get that paint to gloss like that?  Polishing compound?  That looks spectacular.

jawdrop
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 02:53:24 pm »

I'm sorry for the mistaken impression. I did not restore these machines. Forum member Custom Soda Works did. I never meant to imply that I restored them. I don't think in my wildest dreams I could do that well. He did an spetacular job.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 02:55:02 pm by Pixel » Logged
SelVend 7 up
5 Cent Member

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 03:01:13 pm »

Sorry, I skimmed through reading it and made assumptions.  Mea Culpa.
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 03:07:38 pm »

That's alright, I just didn't want to take credit I didn't deserve.

I did make a drawing of the early style deluxe though. If you'd like to see it, here it is.
SelVend 7 up
5 Cent Member

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 03:10:16 pm »

Hey, that's very sharp!  That would be a good way to do concepts for paint schemes to determine the best colors to use.  Very cool.
GSP1

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 03:29:51 pm »

That's alright, I just didn't want to take credit I didn't deserve.

I did make a drawing of the early style deluxe though. If you'd like to see it, here it is.

That's very impressive. I'll try to model the resto on this one after your drawing.
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 04:37:19 pm »

That's very impressive. I'll try to model the resto on this one after your drawing.

Thank you. I'm glad you like it.  smile I did a lot of research to get the style right. I based the drawing of the side on Custom Soda Works's restoration. There are different versions of the "Drink Coca-Cola" sign. One includes the text ENJOY THAT Refreshing NEW Feeling below the Drink Coca-Cola. I went with the simpler version of the sign. I do not know if it makes a difference. I think you can get either sign new at site sponsor Fun-Tronics. The signs may be reproductions, but I've heard a lot of good things about the company's work.

Hey, that's very sharp!  That would be a good way to do concepts for paint schemes to determine the best colors to use.  Very cool.

Thank you, you're right. smile Thinking along those lines, I actually produced other flavors as well. I have a separate thread about them.

Of all of the ones I made, my favorite is this Pepsi Cola Machine with 3D Sign. Cavalier never made one like this that I know of, and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. To me, it looks like one that was repurposed by a Pepsi bottler in the mid-late 60's.
GSP1

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 09:56:14 pm »

Thank you. I'm glad you like it.  smile I did a lot of research to get the style right. I based the drawing of the side on Custom Soda Works's restoration. There are different versions of the "Drink Coca-Cola" sign. One includes the text ENJOY THAT Refreshing NEW Feeling below the Drink Coca-Cola. I went with the simpler version of the sign. I do not know if it makes a difference. I think you can get either sign new at site sponsor Fun-Tronics. The signs may be reproductions, but I've heard a lot of good things about the company's work.

Thank you, you're right. smile Thinking along those lines, I actually produced other flavors as well. I have a separate thread about them.

Of all of the ones I made, my favorite is this Pepsi Cola Machine with 3D Sign. Cavalier never made one like this that I know of, and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. To me, it looks like one that was repurposed by a Pepsi bottler in the mid-late 60's.

You're welcome. I wont be starting on it anytime soon. I'll save it out of the weather and get to it when I can. So far I've found most of what I need for it, other than the trim.
GSP1

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2013, 04:48:27 pm »

I just picked it up. It's a model CS-64E. Is there somewhere that I can find the exact you by looking up the serial number?
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2013, 05:08:12 pm »

Did you meant the exact year? I don't know about these early models, but the later woodgrain-style ones had a squarish foil sticker on the back side of the coin door, with the serial number and date stamped into it. The woodgrain model I had was made in 1977, for example. With the back of the coin door facing you, look near the top and to the left of the coin entry.

I'm not sure if they did that on the earlier styles though, but it's worth a shot.
GSP1

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2013, 05:47:05 pm »

Did you meant the exact year? I don't know about these early models, but the later woodgrain-style ones had a squarish foil sticker on the back side of the coin door, with the serial number and date stamped into it. The woodgrain model I had was made in 1977, for example. With the back of the coin door facing you, look near the top and to the left of the coin entry.

I'm not sure if they did that on the earlier styles though, but it's worth a shot.

Thanks, I'll look tomorrow after I take it off of the trailer. I'm taking it for longterm storage until I have time to work on it.
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2013, 08:14:57 pm »

I've been meaning to ask you, did you find the label I was talking about on the inside of your coin door? If not, I'm not really sure where else to look
for it date information, unless they happen to have stamped it on the ID tag on the left side of the machine. I wanted to know if the earlier ones
featured that label.
GSP1

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2013, 08:24:09 pm »

I've been meaning to ask you, did you find the label I was talking about on the inside of your coin door? If not, I'm not really sure where else to look
for it date information, unless they happen to have stamped it on the ID tag on the left side of the machine. I wanted to know if the earlier ones
featured that label.

I looked, but didn't see anything. One thing I thought of was that if I could find out the years Cavalier made the CS-64E models, it could narrow it down a bit. I would doubt they would make more than one version of the 64 bottle capacity machine at the same time.
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2013, 09:10:27 pm »

Here's a link to a page with some Cavalier serial number information. I didn't see serial numbers for the square tops, but there is some interesting Cavalier stuff there if you'd like to take a look anyway. I don't know how accurate it is.

http://www.grandamericajukebox.com/page13.htm
GSP1

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2013, 09:58:15 pm »

Here's a link to a page with some Cavalier serial number information. I didn't see serial numbers for the square tops, but there is some interesting Cavalier stuff there if you'd like to take a look anyway. I don't know how accurate it is.

http://www.grandamericajukebox.com/page13.htm

Thanks, I've already looked there. I'm sure somebody knows. The information has to be out there somewhere. The key to it is figuring out how to decode the serial number.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 10:34:39 pm by GSP1 » Logged
jjcotton

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2013, 07:28:55 pm »

Hope y'all can help but I have found only one picture of a coke machine I own. I purchased this machine several years ago. It's a Cavalier CSS-64FC model. One on line company has insisted that it is not an FC but rather an FS. The stamp on the back clearly says it an FC model. I have found only one photo of this machine and that one was located in Indonesia. I'm trying to find photos of restored machines and where I can get other parts I may need.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: