SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 09:36:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stripping the v-39  (Read 3010 times)
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« on: November 17, 2005, 04:04:10 pm »

Okay Chaps

Have started to strip the V-39. Couple of questions.

Have tried to remove the door liner tonight. I can see that there is some sort of insulation behind it. Is it okay to take that out. What I'm worried about is asbestos or something similar.

Also the screws holdng the liner on are all in excellent shape apart from the bottom lot. They have perished and turned to rust. Is this normal or does it tell a tale of past problems??

The rubber seal. Can that be purchased s a whole with the pre-drilled holes etc??

As always thanks for your kind advice. Really appreicated particularily as I am so far away from anyone in the "know".

Dave
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 04:37:48 pm »

Dave,

I think I can answer a few of your questions:

1. The insulation is most likely made with fiberglass in it.  It's okay to replace, but please do it with care.  So, be sure to wear gloves, long sleeves and a mask.  You shouldn't breathe that stuff and if it gets on your skin, you will itch tremendously.  Safety glasses wouldn't hurt, either, to keep the dust out of your eyes.  It's best to remove it outside, put it in a trash bag immediately and throw away.

2. On the machine I am restoring, the bottom screws were rusty.  This was due to the build-up of moisture at the bottom of the cabinet.  Yours may be just as simple as that.  The drain is in that area, and water will not always go down the drain right away, forming condensation as the machine cycles on and off.  

3. I think Funtronics sells the rubber seal, but I don't believe it's pre-drilled.  I think it's sold by the foot and you have to cut it to proper length.  However, some one else who has done a 39 can tell you better than I.  I don't have the catalog in front of me right now.

Hope this helps.

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 04:44:50 pm »

Funtronics sells the gasket either by the foot at $1.25 per foot or pre formed with all holes bunched for $35.00. The part number is 28aa.
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 06:47:26 am »

Dave -

The condensation problem that 90grad mentioned is really common in the older machines. My Cavalier 51 had the exact same problem and I've seen it on others.

As far as the insulation goes, some of the older stuff (your machiens) MAY have tiny amounts of asbestos and definitely is treated with fromaldahyde.

In addition to what Wayne said, make sure that if you do happen to get some of the insulation/fibers on you bare skin such as your arms or hands. Make sure to brush off as much possible then finish it up by washing with COLD water with soap. If you use HOT water your pores will open and the fiberglass shards will get into them and that pretty much sucks!

Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: