SMC Discussion Areas
May 12, 2024, 04:31:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 81A $850 in Chicago - Craigslist  (Read 17373 times)
Vendo_110
10 Cent Member

« on: May 29, 2010, 01:05:21 pm »

Someone snag it.  looks in good shape!

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/clt/1765318196.html

Vendo 110 (Coke)
Vendo 56A (Coke)
Cavalier C-51 (Coke)
Cavalier C-72 (Coke)
VMC H56C Transitional (Dr Pepper)
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 03:34:49 pm »

That's an "A" version too!

My six cents,

Jim

Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 09:31:45 pm »

wrote them, lets see what happens

A lot of stuff.
American And Proud
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 12:35:44 am »

First I want to say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU Vendo_110 ! biggrin biggrin biggrin

I Bought this, and it is a BEAUTY Unrestored in original paint. My offer was excepted with a "yeah that's fine" so I did Not pay the $850.00 he was asking for it in his AD.

The Vendo 81A needs a new cord, its rotted around the plug, and I need a key, but it is in the Unlocked position so I  can open it.

Looks like 4 Trays that sit inside at an angle are sadly Missing. But everything else seems to be intact. hopefull

I have always had a Passion for Coke stuff only having some small items and a sign or two and some posters, cans bottles glasses coaster, stuff like that, I have ALWAYS wanted a COKE Machine like this Vendo, but rarely see the round tops around here for a price I could afford when younger. I'm nopw 48 so I thought I WANT me a dang COKE MACHINE, so I bought the Westinghouse WD 102 MD for $50.00 and figured I would spend my time searching for parts to restore it, Then this Vendo 81A pops up Here 1 day later so I JUMPED on it. Happy Happy!

Thanks again for the heads up I would have Missed it since searching for "coke Machine" did not bring it up.

I will post pics of Both soon. I gotta downsize them for the web in photoshop.

I joined here a couple days ago and was waiting to get approved so I could post about another Coke machine I just bought 2 days ago, a Westinghouse WC 102 MD with the select dial. (it runs and is cold but needs alot of work.)

So let the FUN begin as I start looking for parts for Both.  drinking

Time to order up some of those Manuals for these to start. biggrin
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 12:39:02 am »

You might even be able to find the manuals for the vendo at this sites main page in the downloads section. I am not 100% sure if it is there but I think it might. Sounds like you got some awesome machines and have something to keep you busy for a little while. Should be lots of fun.
Vendo_110
10 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 08:24:10 am »

Lol! You're welcome, and welcome to the board!

Two machines eh?  You are on your way to an addiction that will be hard to break!  Enjoy, and definitely post some pics!

Vendo 110 (Coke)
Vendo 56A (Coke)
Cavalier C-51 (Coke)
Cavalier C-72 (Coke)
VMC H56C Transitional (Dr Pepper)
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 09:00:33 am »

Congrats Scott ! ! !

At this rate, you better slow down or you'll be out of room in no time ! ! !

My six cents,

Jim

collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 01:00:04 pm »

Congrats on the 81! Nice machines!
On the 102, you might have a hard time finding parts depending on what is missing.
I have some parts that originally came from a 78 (some from a S-O-M model and some from a pushbutton model). Parts between the models look alike and might be interchangable, but I have not compared them side by side. And the 60, 78 & 102 all utilize some of the same parts.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
American And Proud
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 09:36:53 pm »

Thanks everyone.

I made a post in the General Chit Chat section with LOTS of pics.

And I just now replied to Another CL AD.  laugh
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 12:12:28 am »

Welcome to SMC Scott!! Great scores. Any questions just ask.
Creighton

Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 08:18:10 am »

Get your parts list together I'm sure you will be able to find most all the parts here ...even the key...
the lock should have a number on it and a few guys here have the master to have you a key made.

Again great score! and YES... you need at least one machine and/or cooler (and a few signs,
gas pump, candy or juke related coin-op) to leave for each child... that's my story and it's working so far!

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
American And Proud
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 08:33:32 am »

Congrats on the 81! Nice machines!
On the 102, you might have a hard time finding parts depending on what is missing.
I have some parts that originally came from a 78 (some from a S-O-M model and some from a pushbutton model). Parts between the models look alike and might be interchangable, but I have not compared them side by side. And the 60, 78 & 102 all utilize some of the same parts.

Thanks,
The 102 is Missing the botton stainless trim, but the sides and top are really beat up bad. The middle front outside red door has been beat up kicked and generally bent out of shape, the bezel behind the select a dial knob is is bad shape too, plus the coke sign above has a crack in the lower left corner about 4 inces long, like someone put there palm there to move the machine.
Compressor is running well and keeping it Cold inside.
Coin mechs are gunked up, but I think that just needs a complete Cleaning.
Botton of cabinet is rusted pretty good.

A Doner machine without the guts might be best option for me but what parts do you have available?

I really would like to end up with 4 machines restored by me to leave each one of my kids one after i'm gone. I think it would be a nice thing to pass on to each of them.
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 09:16:31 am »

I have a coin door, which probably is not in much better shape. Almost every 60's machine I've owned has had coin door damage. I think that with the electric coin mechs ability to easily increase the price enabled the machines to be in service longer and also gave them greater exposure to vandalism in the 60's and into the 70's.

I also have a selection panel (minus the selector knob). I have the knob, but may need it to repair another. I am restoring a WB-60-K6-D currently. If you find another donor machine and end up with 2 unbroken selector knobs, I'b be interested in one! I believe my panel is in good shape.
Other than that, I have some odds and ends...cap catcher, switches

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Victor C-14
American And Proud
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 10:10:03 am »

Can you send me some pics and prices?

Please, and Thank you.
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 11:03:15 am »

Can you send me some pics and prices?

I do not need either the coin door or selector panel and will ship them to you for cost of shipping if you want them. Let me take a closer look at them and relay condition - would hate for you to pay to get them and neither be any better than what ylou already have. I know one lock bar bracket that original was spot welded to the coin door has been pried off and now is simply attached with a nut & bolt (but at least it is there!).

I'll have to check on any other parts - what else are you interested in?

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Victor C-14
American And Proud
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 11:34:49 am »

Oh WOW, cost of shipping only? Thats Very Generous of you. Thank you Very Much.

The stainless/chrome trim around the front is all beat to heck and the bottom piece is missing as are the clips.

Cap catcher.

It just started pourning rain outside and I have her tarped and banded, I will get some close up pics as soon as it stops raining.

My first machine so I am pretty Green when it comes to knowing what all it needs.

I need to order up the Manuals for these.

I have a Graphtec CE 5000 24" Vinyl Cutter if you ever need some vinyl cut let me know.
I have a bunch of Oracal 651 in many colors on hand. I have added more rolls since this pic was taken.

And again, Thank you.
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 12:57:27 pm »

Well I know I don't have the SS trim, but 99% sure I have a cap catcher. I'll try to get all the parts together later today, but have some family coming over...so??
NP on the parts...glad somebody can use them rather than sit collecting dust.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Victor C-14
American And Proud
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 05:44:10 pm »

Thank you,
That is so Nice of you. Hopefully I can in some way return the kindness back to you. Either in vinyl or hooking up my trailer and picking up something here locally for you.

I noticed that there is no change return button, are they available as a reproduction item?

I'll get some close up pics of the coin mechs, and see what you think.

Any of these parts you want some cash for just let me know, I don't want to take advantage of your initial offering at all.

I am Excited to know I may just be able to restore the Westinghouse afterall. I have read some other posts were people and myself were told not a real popular machine and parts may be hard to come by, some even told the person to just part it out. I'd hate to have to do that since it is the first machine I bought after 30 -35 years of longing for a Coke machine.

My kids thought it was Cool looking when I brought it home, the 102, then they thought I was NUTS when I went out and got Another one the following day. lol That was only because of a Heads Up post here and it was Local that I was able to grab one of my favorite styles, from the Fifties, the 81A.

I owned a 1955 Chevy Bel-Air 2 door hardtop back in High School and restored it with my father, he bought it from me 10 years ago, and he was restoring it again, but died before he could finish it. I told my Mother I would like to buy it back and finish it. Anyways I LOVE the Fiftys Era stuff and always have. The 55 happens to be two tone Gypsy Red and Shoreline Beige, red and off white perfect fit for Coke memorabilia I think. biggrin

Thanks again collecture

I haven't told them I want to get one for each of them.

My prior body shop experience when I was younger (about 12 years worth) and doing auto restorations will be a big help to me and save me alot doing the work on them myself, I should be a seasoned Coke Machine vet by the time I get them restored.
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 06:22:46 pm »

AS Maxwell Smart would say "missed it by that much!"

It's funny I've been searching Chicago's Craigs List for about a year under Vendo.  All I ever find is the same overpriced 39.  The one day I was busy and didn't look at it, bam, there it is, an 81.  I give up.  Goodbye cruel world. tounge

A lot of stuff.
American And Proud
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 07:21:17 pm »

Sorry Larry,

Don't give up, something else will pop up I am sure.

I couldn't even post yet as I wasn't approved when I saw this heads up and I had just bought a Westinghouse WD 102 MD the day before for $50.00 (rough shape)

I looked for Years, and when something affordable would come along, I had No cash to spend at the time.

I got LUCKY to see this post about the Vendo 81A. It needs work too, but for it's age is in decent shape.

I posted a bunch of pics of it in the Gen Chit Chat section, have a look. Where are you located at Larry?
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 07:31:40 pm »

First Great Job on getting the 81 !! And theres a BUNCH !! of us here that if you need it & were not needing it we'll send it . It the Right thing to Do . I know i do it .

Ltransam

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2010, 09:25:32 pm »

Northside of Chicago.

A lot of stuff.
American And Proud
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 06:45:22 am »

I am on the South Side in the suburbs.

Looks like you have a round top, is that your machine in your avatar and got bigger pics to share please?
What Model?  Got more machines?
I can't get enough pics of these great old machines myself.
American And Proud
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010, 06:50:09 am »

First Great Job on getting the 81 !! And theres a BUNCH !! of us here that if you need it & were not needing it we'll send it . It the Right thing to Do . I know i do it .

Ltransam

Thanks, everyone seems very Friendly here, and very willing to Help.

Good to know good people still are around, we all must be stuck in the days of old where a mans word and a handshake was all that was needed.
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2010, 08:46:51 am »

I have a variety of stuff.

I sent you a P.M. (Personal Message) Look up on top of this screen you are reading and check "My Messages."  Give me an email address in the P.M., if you want to see more stuff.

A lot of stuff.
American And Proud
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2010, 04:30:30 pm »

Here are some pics collecture.
American And Proud
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2010, 04:31:45 pm »

More.
American And Proud
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2010, 04:32:33 pm »

Last set.
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2010, 11:54:10 pm »

It appears that, even with the detached lock bar bracket, mine looks better. I'll try to post pics of what I got tomorrow.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Victor C-14
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: