SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 09:00:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: National Cigarette Machine Candy?  (Read 16355 times)
David D
Soda Jerks

« on: March 27, 2009, 10:12:00 pm »

Guys,

Do you know if it's possible to convert something like this into a candy machine? 

Thanks-David

Seven181
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 11:00:18 pm »

Yea, I have seen one converted. I saw a guy in Texas do it. It looks good because the sign lights up.

Brian

Brian  happydrinkers
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 11:01:09 pm »

I am not certain, and could be wrong, but would think it all depends on how the cigarette packs where dispensed out of the machine,, if the insides are like a stoner, and the cigs just sat on a shelf, then yeah, should work fine.. but if they are stacked in there (which I'd guess they are?) then it would most likely jam...
Cool looking machine... though...

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 11:13:46 pm »

It is not like the Stoner.
The pull pushes the product toward the back of the machine where it falls into the chute.
The packs are stacked in a column.
At least that is what I remember - haven't looked at mine in a while.

The mirror was originally etched between two 1/8" mirrors -
If you want to reproduce the mirror - I had a mirror/glass place reproduce the circle/line design and then I put a piece of adhesive backed silver reflective Mylar behind the mirror and it looks great. I couldn't tell the difference.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 11:27:35 pm by collecture » Logged

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
David D
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 11:31:30 pm »

Thanks guys, I also thought the style was cool. I don't need a cigarette machine but thought it would look neat as a candy machine.
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 11:59:24 pm »

Could always dispense the candy cigarettes..... Cool looking machine

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
mrsoda
25 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 07:58:44 am »

very nice looking machine, the packs stack on top of each other, dont think it will vend candy. I have one , will take a look when i get home tonight and let you know if it will work  jeff wolf
memorylane
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 08:28:53 am »

Jeff is correct, they will not vend candy. I have tried and it wouldn't be easy to do as it  vends out the back. They are very nice machines and worth buying for under $500.00 The short 9 pull and the 7 pull are the ones to look for.
mrsoda
25 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 08:52:00 am »

I just went home to look as  forgot something at the house, it will not vend candy as you do have to stack and they come out of the back. But done up as a cigarette machine they come out great, a lot of chrome on them
Basementgeek
10 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 09:22:33 am »

Maybe the shelves out of an out National 510 would fit as they are 9 pulls also.  Looking at the knobs it looks the same.  510s are pretty cheap.  I think the biggest problem would be the product display window.

Also looks like you maybe need a knob/pull.  If you buy it and you need one I have some parts form the 510's, including a number of pulls.

BG
David D
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 12:24:12 pm »

Guys,  thanks for the info.  I ended up getting this, not sure where I'm going to put it but it seemed like a good deal for $120.
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 12:50:58 pm »

Gum cigarettes are better than the candy ones.  You can still blow the "smoke" (powdered sugar?) out of them.  The candy ones are cheap but they taste nasty.  Chocolate ones don't fit well.  I had to scrunch up the pack and tape it.  They still hung up a bit.

Here's my cigarette machine.  I had a friend photo shop the packs of candy and gum.  Then I made these labels from a mylar. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 12:57:21 pm by mills 400c » Logged

A lot of stuff.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 10:21:06 pm »

Cool larry,
Where do you get your candy/gum cigarettes... I found some candy cigarettes, but they are only w in a pack and they are small boxes.. work well for the stoners and U selects but that' it.

Bring a sample if you could next thursday, I'd like to see what they look like..

John  (i'll bring a quarter for you)

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 10:50:18 pm »

That's 30c, one quarter and one nickle.  I buy small amounts from Groovy candies.  I forgot who I buy the large amounts from.  I have the info at work.  They are much cheaper, but they have a fifty dollar minimum.  Groovy candy has no minimum.

Does anyone have the manual for these cigarette machines?  I am interested in learning how the coin mech is adjusted for different values.  I remember taking it apart and there were different plates and blocks of metal that can be arranged differently.

A lot of stuff.
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 11:10:31 pm »

Does anyone have the manual for these cigarette machines?  I am interested in learning how the coin mech is adjusted for different values.  I remember taking it apart and there were different plates and blocks of metal that can be arranged differently.

I am pretty sure Curtis sells one.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
memorylane
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 09:00:22 am »

I do have a Manual for the National Cigarette Machine I'll be posting one on E-bay Sunday night.
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 12:12:54 pm »

I'm not interested in the manual.  They usually just show a parts breakdown.  I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to move the inside bars around to change the price?  I haven't opened one up in about four years, but it looks like you can switch the position of the plates around to change the price.

A lot of stuff.
David D
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 10:45:29 pm »

I ended up buying this machine, it's missing one pull but otherwise in very good shape, the body is really nice no dents to mention.  I don't think this machine has been in use since 1955 based on the paperwork inside.  I was surprised at how heavy the machine was.  I paid $120, I think hope this was a good deal.  It should look nice with a coat of paint and maybe some chrome work.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 10:48:00 pm by David D » Logged
mrsoda
25 Cent Member

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 08:59:06 am »

I am pretty sure Curtis sells one.
I think i have   the book on that machine, if you would like i will make you a copy for free, let me know , jeff wolf
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 09:01:52 am by mrsoda » Logged
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2009, 10:53:30 am »

Jeff,

If there is a section on how to adjust the coin mechanism for different prices, I wouldn't mind a scan of that page or pages.  My price wheel goes from 15c to 35c, or somewhere in that range.  Right now my machine is set for 30c.  I wouldn't mind setting it for 15c.  The actual coin mech, not the rejector, has metal bars for pathways.  I am assuming if you move them to different positions, it would alter the price.

Usually, the manuals are just part descriptions, and a breakdown.  Hopefully, there would be some information in it.

Larry

A lot of stuff.
mrsoda
25 Cent Member

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 11:22:00 am »

Jeff,
I will look if not my friend in fl, rich at rms vintage, who does stoners and nationals a lot, will tell me how to do it
If there is a section on how to adjust the coin mechanism for different prices, I wouldn't mind a scan of that page or pages.  My price wheel goes from 15c to 35c, or somewhere in that range.  Right now my machine is set for 30c.  I wouldn't mind setting it for 15c.  The actual coin mech, not the rejector, has metal bars for pathways.  I am assuming if you move them to different positions, it would alter the price.

Usually, the manuals are just part descriptions, and a breakdown.  Hopefully, there would be some information in it.

Larry
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2009, 02:02:05 pm »

Thanks Jeff,

I appreciate it!! biggrin

A lot of stuff.
David D
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2009, 09:55:26 pm »

Finally finished this national cigarette machine, turned it into a candy machine.  It turned out nice, it's not a perfect candy machine since the product is limited but I couldn't justify having a cigarette machine in the house. The rack was not modified, I may need to create some spacers to add chewing gum or smaller items, right now it's loaded with lemon heads in different varieties.   This was a cheap restoration, I have about $40 into paint wiring and hardware, thought about having the trim chromed, but again didn't want to drop too much into this.

Many thanks to Dave B for the lever handle, it fit perfectly.

David
David D
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2009, 09:56:17 pm »

Another
Pat Pixley
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2009, 11:11:49 pm »

David, It looks great   Cool I like the colors  that you did it in. smile.
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2009, 02:51:40 am »

Wow... I really have to get mine sorted out... Its in the garage covered away at the moment...

Tim has a coin mech for me just need to work out how to get the whole unit off....

I very much like the idea of vernding candy from it but haven't been able to find anything that
will fit... Seems you did well..

You've spurned me on... Got to get cracking... Your's looks great..

Dave
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2009, 08:13:46 am »

I never even though about vending those candies from mine.  Did you have to adjust due to the thickness of the candy boxes compared to a pack of smokes?

Nice machine!

drinking  Tim drinking

Can anyone send pics of how to remove the coin mech from this machine?  I don't want to remove the wrong screw and find a mess of parts on the garage floor!
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2009, 09:01:38 am »

Very cool and innovative conversion.  Lemon heads, jaw breakers, red hots, Mike and Ikes, Hot tamales, little Valentine hearts, and any other box canies should work.  Was there a metal piece of flat spring steel in the back to adjust the height of the opening?  I haven't taken mine apart in years.  I don't believe there is, but I know my Candyette has that kind of adjustment so two products wouldn't get pushed out.

Tim, I haven't pulled my mech out in ages, but I think it was an easy removal.  The mech is a solid block with the rejector on top.

Jeff Wolf, you mentioned earlier about a copy of the manual.  Did you ever have any made?  I'm just interested in any information on changing the price on the coin mech.  I was reading my earlier post and was reminded about the metal guides inside for the coins to travel.  Does anyone know what posititions these guides or bars should be in for different denominations of coin?

A lot of stuff.
David D
Soda Jerks

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2009, 08:45:53 pm »

I never even though about vending those candies from mine.  Did you have to adjust due to the thickness of the candy boxes compared to a pack of smokes?

Nice machine!

drinking  Tim drinking

Can anyone send pics of how to remove the coin mech from this machine?  I don't want to remove the wrong screw and find a mess of parts on the garage floor!

Tim, Here are a couple pictures, remove the 2 wing nuts and then slide the entire assembly forward and it will pop right out.

David D
Soda Jerks

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2009, 08:50:04 pm »

Here is a picture of the assembly out of the machine
David D
Soda Jerks

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2009, 08:50:59 pm »

Very cool and innovative conversion.  Lemon heads, jaw breakers, red hots, Mike and Ikes, Hot tamales, little Valentine hearts, and any other box canies should work.  Was there a metal piece of flat spring steel in the back to adjust the height of the opening?  I haven't taken mine apart in years.  I don't believe there is, but I know my Candyette has that kind of adjustment so two products wouldn't get pushed out.

Larry, There is a spring on the back of each column, but the boxes I used are almost too deep so they don't help, if the product was a little shorter they would work perfectly.  I did need to remove them, but they pop in and out easily.

Basementgeek
10 Cent Member

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2009, 10:40:06 pm »

I like the color, any chance you are an OSU buckeye fan seeing how it scarlet and gray?

According to a manual I have from National vendors on price conversation kits.  Parts were
added/changed or removed.  Nothing simple as flipping a lever to them.  For an example my book shows
over dozen or so different parts.  Some conversation  required a change in the sidewall also.

National made conversation kits, so did a company called Wico.  Also a company called
Vend Star made a electronic coin mech that could be used with them.  ($3.15 max) with a simple
switch setting ( I have 2 of them)

If I were you, if it works, regardless of price, leave it alone.

BG
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2009, 02:44:37 am »

Hey David

Thanks for the diagrams.... Tim is that any good???

Dave
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2009, 08:07:36 am »

Thanks for the pictures.  I will have to dig my way to the back of the garage to the machine and see if I can get that mech out without screwing anything up!  laugh

drinking Tim drinking
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2009, 09:40:02 am »

Thanks Tim....

I really appreicate it...

Dave
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: