SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 06:25:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Choice vend HELP! Hi there new guy here just got my first Coke machine yesterday  (Read 17496 times)
Mental Health
« on: April 16, 2008, 03:51:27 pm »

Cool Like the title says got my first one yesterday off of Craig's list for $100.  All day I have been reading all the posts on this site and just wanted to say I have found a ton of useful info.  The machine I picked up is an early 1970's Choice Vend CVC142, it cools great but someone has done some hack wiring in it so only one button works and I think the relay for that button is stuck as well.  I am sure after tonight I will have a better understanding of what is wrong with it and if I have any questions I know exactly where I am going to go to get them answered  tounge Will post up some picks as soon as I can and thanks for having such a helpful site!!!!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 09:49:46 pm by Mental Health » Logged
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 04:52:41 pm »

Welcome to the board!!
Looking forward to the pictures.
Creighton
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 05:22:25 pm by Creighton » Logged
Mental Health
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 05:06:28 pm »

Thanks  biggrin I am working on this rig right now and I have a few questions concerning the relays...

I wired up the free play button but everytime I push it I do not have a chance to make a selection it just despenses from the fourth (last) cans.  I took the relay housing apart to watch the operation and there are six relays in there.  Four of the relays are for the vend motors which I am about to test (one works for sure LOL) and there is a hold relay which seems to be working correctly.  The question I have is that there is a sixth relay in there lablesd as an XR relay in the schematic, does anyone know what this relay is for and should it be energized as soon as you plug in the machine as mine is doing?

THANKS!!!!!
Mental Health
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 05:42:37 pm »

Here is a pic of the relay assy the RX relay is the second from the right in this pic... should it stay energized as soon as I plug in the coke box?  It only un energizes momentarily after it despenses a can.

Here is a picture of my awesome coke machine!!! I have wanted one of these for over ten years and decided now is the time I ain't gettin no younger  help

Mental Health
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 06:17:09 pm »

Wow I feel like I am talking to myself here LOL but just wanted to update that all of the buttons are in working order as are the relays, I really am starting to think there is something funky with the wiring to the motors or possibly the wiring to the buttons.

Can I possibly get a complete new wiring harness for this monster?  Oo
Pat Pixley
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 08:11:21 pm »

Well welcome to the board  glad you found us smile .
As far as your machine  you can't get a complete wiring harnes
no one has come up with that yet.

It look like a real nice machine , soon you  will have4 or 5 machine's
it a bad habit you just can't stoponce you bought your first machine.  wow
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 08:16:52 pm »

Our resident Choice Vend expert is JohnieG; perhaps he'll chime in and help trouble shoot...
Can you confirm the vend motor(s) are operational...?

My six cents,

Jim

Mental Health
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 09:21:09 pm »

Our resident Choice Vend expert is JohnieG; perhaps he'll chime in and help trouble shoot...
Can you confirm the vend motor(s) are operational...?

Yea sir all motors are operational I have been working on this thing for the last few hours and am not coming up with a whole lot.... It just wnts to vent frm the forth stack of can and no others.  I did manually jump the relay to the fist stack of cans and on dropped but the forth stack was running the whole time... Very confused any help will br MUCH appreciated.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 10:24:58 pm »

I don't know that model but seems like machines of that era get cranky if low on product. Have you tried filling all of the stacks? Any "low product sensors" that might be missing or damaged. Sorry can't be of more help.
Creighton
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 10:35:32 pm »

Yep you must have a minimum amount of cans in the machine before it will let a column dispense.
Mental Health
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 06:59:58 am »

Thanks guys I should have mentioned in my first post that the machine is currently filled to the max in all four rows and all of the low product sensors are functioning correctly.  This is really strange it seems to be getting power from the bottom plug on the relay box (coming from the motors).  Like I stated above I hooked up the free play button and as soon as you push it to activate the hold relay it will drop a can from #4 I don't even get a chance to make a selection.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 07:03:26 am by Mental Health » Logged
Mental Health
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 08:32:51 am »

One other thing I did last night was come up with an alternate solution, as a last resort if I can't figure this out I was thinking I could rewire the relay box so that you just hold down your selection until the can drops.  I don't really want to do it this way and was hoping that maybe someone here would be able to tell me what is wrong with this machine.  At least if I do decide to rewire it I can at least get it to dispense any product instead of just one.  veryangry
Mental Health
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 02:38:41 pm »

Nobody has any info?  down
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 03:35:09 pm »

Without a wiring diagram, this can be a difficult to trouble shoot or correct...
I personally have no experience on Choice Vend models, but having a diagram would allow me to assist in some way...

My six cents,

Jim

Mental Health
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 03:58:41 pm »

Thanks Jim I will see what I can come up with.
Mental Health
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 06:42:47 pm »

Think I found the problem does anyone have one of these switches or know where I can get one in the Dallas Texas area?

Here are some random shots of my machine...

Mental Health
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 06:47:19 pm »

Also I want to lube up the gears for the vend motors what is the best lube to use for them?

Right now I am just using the coke box as a fridge LOL until I find a ne switch, I am about 98% sure that that switch is my problem.  It does not make a clicking sound like the others and it does not ohm out as it should so I am pretty excited that I think I found the problem!!  hopefull Cool
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 07:06:27 pm »

No idea on the switch but white lithium spray should be fine for the gears.
Creighton
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 08:12:33 pm »

If my memory serves me, this type of switch may be available from Grainger. It's a standard size and N.O./N.C. contact switch...
Sad part of this is that I probably have one, somewhere...

My six cents,

Jim

bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 08:59:41 pm »

Graingers, McMaster-Carr, some electrical supply housees if they are into automation supplies.

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
Mental Health
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 07:09:02 am »

Thanks guys I will look into it, I think I am getting close  laugh
phoneguydave

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 06:09:57 pm »

Does anyone else own a CVC-142?  I'm having a vend problem and could sure appreciate some input!

---Dave
Roadman
25 Cent Member

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2012, 06:56:09 am »

Nice machine. I like square tops -
phoneguydave

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2012, 06:32:35 pm »

Hi there!  Just following up...my ChoiceVend CVC-142 machine is not vending...not sure if it is the Coinco S75-9800B coin changer,
or something else.

It worked fine for a week, now when I put in a quarter, it doesn't activate whatever it should, to allow a selection to be made/vended.

Appreciate any suggestions about what to test. 

I tested the Coinco and it appears to be working properly, but can't be 100% sure.

Any assistance/suggestions (or knowledge of any maintenance guys in Massachusetts) would be appreciated!

---Dave
(email: dave_s_duncan@yahoo.com)
oldskoolcoinop
10 Cent Member

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2012, 06:10:48 pm »

Where abouts in Mass are you?
phoneguydave

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2012, 08:29:14 pm »

I'm in Natick; 2 minutes off the Mass Pike @ Exit 13.

Know someone in the area who's good w/1970's machines like my CVC-142?

---Dave
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2012, 08:31:27 pm »

Ohhh, my wife loves that mall... or as I call it, the evil place!!!!

Tim
oldskoolcoinop
10 Cent Member

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2012, 09:20:53 pm »

I would have taken  look if you were a little more local. I'm in Springfield, 2 hrs away. Sorry. I wish you luck, unfortunately I'm pretty good if something is in front of me rather than trying to steer you around a machine I'm not all that familiar with.
phoneguydave

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2012, 09:24:45 pm »

@ MaineT - LOL... I agree.

@oldskool - Thanks.  If you find yourslf heading east one day, let me know! :-)

Very annoying to have a nice, full, machine and having to open it every time I want a drink!

It is mocking me!
wrkey

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 10:09:57 pm »

I just purchased a Choice Vend CVC-142 myself.  It wasn't cooling and I determined that it was low on freon.  The compressor was trying but just not enough juice to compress.  I found a gentleman locally on Craig's List that had 2 14oz cans of R-12 so I bought those ($50 for both) and grabbed my AC hose kit that I used many many years ago.  Luckily the rubber was still good on the can seal and the connection seal.  Anyway, with the machine off, I hooked the can up to it and opened it up until it felt like the can was a little more than half full and cut off the valve.  If I'm not mistaken, these machines require 7oz and since it had some pressure already, I guesstimated on adding 6oz.  jawdrop

Plugged it in and now she cools!  We'll see how long it last... ie how bad the leak was.  It was sitting for a while before I got her.  I'm hoping for a miracle here and the leak 'self heals'.  LOL  I just need her to get through this weekend.

Anyway, I'm really disappointed that there are no manuals on this machine.  I have a wiring diagram taped inside my door... I'll try to get a camera in there soon and take a photo of it and post it here.  How the heck does the loading of this machine work anyway?   It has 6 slots and 4 selections.  Obviously two slots are shared, but which two?   On the shared slots, does one vend till empty and then the other vends or do they alternate? 

Oh... in case anyone's interested, this machine is going into 'The Game Preserve' which is a membership driven Arcade/Pinball facility in Houston that me and a few other collectors have started.  Currently we have 51 coin operated games and machines and our Grand Opening is Saturday, thus my hope the coke machine cools through the weekend!   Search out The Game Preserve on Facebook for more info!

Later,

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: