SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 03:45:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My first roundtop project...V-44...thoughts?  (Read 14001 times)
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2010, 05:24:33 pm »

Glad this thread turned to this, I picked up the bottles today and they are definitely going to need a good cleaning.  I think I'm going to let them soak in the pot sink for a while, then go from there.  There is a mouse in one bottle, that one might not make it back to the rotation.

Maybe you should fill it and cap it, then complain to Coca Cola you got a mouse in one of your sodas....  biggrin

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2010, 05:28:28 pm »

There is a mouse in one bottle, that one might not make it back to the rotation.

Prolly a good idea. I'd go through the rest of my life wondering  if the bottle I just opened was "the one that had a mose carcass"  Sad

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2010, 05:54:50 pm »

Best way to clean those would be to fill the laundry tub/utility sink with water and add a few ounces of bleach.  Submerge as many bottles as you can get in there and let them soak for a day.  That will loosen up any stuff in the bottle.  Then get yourself a bottle jet and jet them out with hot water.  Check all the rims for chips in the glass as they may not seal tightly with a new crown.

After the soaking, I would run them througn the dishwasher on high heat.  You can stand them on end on the spikes on the bottom and top shelf in some dishwashers.  Just remember to let them cool before you take them out of the DW because they will be HOT!

That is how I clean my bottles for brewing beer.

drinking Tim drinking
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2010, 08:37:57 pm »

Congrats and what a good price.

It sounds as though you were lucky the seller was an honest person willing to keep his word on his first deal, even if others offered him more.

Good luck

tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2010, 09:29:09 pm »

Well, I finished up rewiring the machine today, and plugged it in for the first time, the 50 year old wires would disintegrate in your hand if you touched them.  I replaced the compressor fan motor due to the other one barely turning by hand.  The two fans fired up fine, but I didn't hear or feel the compressor start, so I was a little nervous.  All the machines I have come across you can tell the compressor is on.  I stopped the compressor fan, and sure enough the compressor was running, quieter than I have ever heard.  Thermostat kicked in without issue, and its running at a nice 38deg right now.  The vending works great as well, takes a dime or two nickels and vends the bottles without a problem.  So, overall pretty good for the age, being completely original.  The door rubber needs to be replaced, along with a main door handle, so a Fun-Tronics order is coming tomorrow.

I talked to the sellers wife yesterday, and she was saying how he really liked that I appreciated the machine and knew something about it.  She also said that's why he didn't sell it to the other bidders, even though they offered >$2k. 

cdc1960
10 Cent Member

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2010, 09:35:54 pm »

sounds like a good deal all around tkaz...

Vendo 44, 63
Cornelius SVM48E3, Cornelius Diplomat
AMI D80, G120
Gotlieb Genie
Bennett 956
Eco 240
Theatre Popcorn machine
Watling Horoscope Penny Scale
gum machines, parking meter, taxi meter, pay phone, etc...
it's getting out of hand..
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2010, 09:37:58 pm »

tkaz--my offer of $1,255 still stands!  tounge

Great job on bringing this machine back to it's former glory!

drinking Tim drinking
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: