SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 08:19:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I love the smell of fresh gunpowder in the morning....  (Read 13304 times)
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« on: September 01, 2011, 05:13:13 am »

Good luck to any of you heading out for some Dove hunting this fine September morning.....
I heading out into the AZ sun....

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
indymanjoe

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 06:43:23 am »

dove hunting was voted down in MI.Are they good to eat? Thats the one bird my wife would kill me for shooting LOL  Good luck to those that are hunting though!
TomFromJersey
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 07:02:09 am »

I don't know how good they are to eat(squab), but they certainly are challenging to shoot.
    TFJ

Grapette Quickold Standard
AMI I200 AMI H200
Wurlitzer 61, 600, 700, 750, 800, 1080, 2100
Packard Musical Bar
Chicago Coin BandBox
15 remote speakers and counting
A bunch of Grapette stuff
Some really cool vending machines
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 11:02:39 am »

I've got them all over my property.
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 12:12:18 pm »

Back home with my limit (10)  biggrin
Bird hunting is my favorite (duck, geese, quail, dove)! For Dove & Quail I get to use my favortite shotguns - I have two old L.C. Smith side x side guns (12 & 20). I used to use my 12 guage for duck & geese before the steel shot law, but that steel shot would tear it up so I had to buy another for waterfowl hunting.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 01:24:18 pm »

My son is soooo ready for hunting season (deer) he wants to take his M1 Grande he bought..
I'm not a hunter and am not sure about that?... He's 13 and loves fishing and hunting must have
skipped a generation... I'm as into it as he. But it beats sitting playing videos days on end... And the jerky is good! smile
Don't know of any dove hunters around here... But I'm sure he would want to try it...

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Ken R
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 01:37:07 pm »

M1 Garand, huh?  Cool.  He's 13 and bought one of those?  Hell, I just got one from my wife for my retirement gift.  Is his a new model or vintage WWII?  I know they're remaking them again.

I used to hunt all the time, dove and deer, but I just can't do it anymore.  As for eating dove, they're rather gamey tasting in my opinion, sort of like a liver, but not near as bad.  Quail is really good.  I love venison!!!  Just can't shoot them anymore.  Guess the Corps changed me in that regard.  I enjoy watching them more than killing them.

Good luck to all the hunters out there!!!

Vendolator VMC-149
Vendolator VF-56-7
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 02:11:13 pm »

It's a WWII with a newer barrel.. He is a WWII nut, which I'm very proud of... He was struggling with reading
till we went to a gun show and met a survivor of the USS Indianapolis... He stood there listening to every
word that HERO had to say... He had a book he was selling “In Harms Way” around 500 pages... He wanted it
we bought it he read it all that summer, then found another WWII book then another, etc. We go to reenactments
auctions, swap meets, etc. he has a great little collection. Anyway back to this topic.. it a good rifle, and he's a
good shot... So we'll see how he does this fall... Last year he got his first, a 7 point and a coyote to boot! All on
video...

Have bought a couple WWII helmets at Chicago show.. so the show has a little of everything!... That's were I like
to hunt smile

Eric

WANTED:
Ken R
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 02:19:19 pm »

I'm truly glad to hear someone so young is so interested in WWII.  Thanks for keeping him interested and feeding that interest.  What sort of things does he/you collect with regard to WWII?  I may have a couple things I can send to you depending on where the interst lies.  Let me know.

Ken

Vendolator VMC-149
Vendolator VF-56-7
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 02:47:38 pm »

Thanks.. If it's WWII he likes it... He has patches, uniforms, hats, helmets, war ration books, a weekend pass, his great grandfathers dog tags,
bayonet (what's a M1 without that? oh ), pins, medals, you name it... TomfromJersey sent him a big box of military stuff it was like Christmas
and Neil sent him a side bag/pouch for a gas mask... He does all his own wheeling and dealing... He does better than me. and his little 9 year old brother is right behind.. learning and listening... (He's torn between collecting WWII stuff too and root beer and soda bottle caps) So flea markets has become a family affair.

You should see the Vets talk with him at the VFW hall he has a book that he gets their signature in and when and where they served...
A couple from D-Day, battle of the bulge... Bombers, tankers... amazing stories...

Eric

WANTED:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: