SMC Discussion Areas
June 03, 2024, 01:21:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: wd-12 restoration/pics/questions  (Read 7792 times)
leeharrison1984
« on: April 07, 2009, 12:42:31 pm »

Me and my dad have recently started restoring our westinghouse WD-12.  The compressor shot craps about a year ago, it no longer cools and makes a very loud rattling sound whenever it is running.  So far i've removed all of the old insulation and replaced it with 2" extruded pink board.  I peeled the old insulation apart and used the pieces to fill the gaps between the pinkboard and the outside of the cooler.  It turned out very nice, and i used some acrylic caulk to seal all of the small cracks between the pink board.

we aren't sure where to look for a compressor, or if our existing unit must be rebuilt. Do i have to have ours rebuilt or can a newer replacement be found?  I've also head about 3 in 1 modules avaible the replace the temp control/overload relay/ and condensor, but does anyone have a picture of what these look like, and how installation is done?  I've noticed it pretty hard to find good information about rebuilding these things, since it's either unavailable or someone wants to charge to do it for you.

also, I'm wanting to get it repainted at my body shop, they quoted around $500 for a complete strip and repaint w/2x clear coat.  He suggested i source decals to put over the emobssed letters before they clear coat it, otherwise it's another $700 for them to manually tape off the lettering twice(once for red, again for the white) does anyone know if there are decals available that fit directly over the embossed lettering on these types of coolers?

thanks!
lee
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 12:44:43 pm by leeharrison1984 » Logged
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 12:56:29 pm »

Global compressors should be able to answer your compressor questions.  Their ad is on the bottom of this page.

Why don't you find a sign painter to letter your machine?

That was my very first machine.  I always thought that the embossments, front, back sides, and top, made the machine.  I had it for about twenty-five years before I finally sold it.

A lot of stuff.
leeharrison1984
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 01:04:44 pm »

i'll be giving global compressors a call later today, and good call on using a sign painter for the lettering.  I gotta chat up my body shop but i'm sure they'd be fine sitting on the cooler for a day or two to let a sign painter do the letters before they clearcoat it.

lee
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 01:26:11 pm »

You can find vinyl decals at Fun-Tronics - also listed here at the site.
Not sure how much money you want to put into it as it is not a highly desirable machine with a lot of intrinsic value.
The sponsors here also sell wiring harnesses, fan motors, T-stats, etc. if you want to take on the compressor your self - are you sure it is shot or does it just need to be overhauled with new harness, fans, etc? Maybe the fan is what was making all the racket?

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
leeharrison1984
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 03:37:13 pm »

i'm prety sure it's the compressor, though i havn't plugged in the unit since i removed all the refrigeration equipment so i'll have to double check.  I also know that there is a leak somewhere on it, since i just purged the r12 and barely anything came out.  We're not planning on putting to much money into it, it's more of a project for us since we have no intention of ever selling the cooler(it's for our lake house).  I should've also mentioned were blasting(dad works at a CNC shop) all of the interior pieces and getting them re-galavanized(dad's best friend runs a welding shop). so pretty much everything is fairly cheap, with the exception of painting the cooler(optional) and figuring out what to replace on the refridgeration unit.
leeharrison1984
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 03:54:03 pm »

well, after a bit of tinkering i discovered the noise was coming from the compressor, just not from inside of it.  The rear rubber support had come loose(or rather squished down) and it wasn't properly dampening the vibration.  5 minutes and a few turns on a wrench and the obnoxious rattling noise has ceased.  probably need to order a new one, but this works for the time being. both of the fans turn well, and they only have a slight mechanical squeek to them, but i'd imagine some 3-in-1 oil would silence them.  now i just have to find the leak in the system.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 05:05:43 pm »

Since you're asking for opinions, I would re-finish the liner and drop it back into
that cooler, fix the compressor and take it to the lake house. It is one of the nicest
looking chest coolers I have seen just the way it is.  You know it will be getting a
few more bumps and bruises but that shouldn't bother you since you avoided that
$1000.00 paint job!   happydrinkers

Glen
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 07:25:15 pm »

I agree.  When I had mine, it was in the same condition.  A good coat of wax will make it sparkle.

A lot of stuff.
leeharrison1984
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 07:39:25 pm »

thanks for the info, and i agree that the painting of the cooler is a little over the top. I tend to start projects and go for broke no matter the cost, and someone that's realistic usually brings me back down to earth.  I'll give it a good washing tomarrow, is there any specific soap to use or is car wash soap okay or is dishwashing liquid better?  I know dishwashing liquid works great to strip all the old wax off of a car, so does the same thing apply to these coolers?
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 07:52:10 pm »

Any good non abrasive cleaner, dish soap, simply green etc will work

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: