SMC Discussion Areas
June 26, 2024, 01:36:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stripping  (Read 9526 times)
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 04:54:34 pm »

I have also used the paint remover disks that I think are made by 3m. They work great but they do remove a little metal when using them so just be careful around the embossing or any stamped lines as they will flatten out the crisp line on embossing and body lines. I used one on a moniyor top refrigerator and it did not do well with the monitor top part. It had embossed ridges around the edge and it dulled the lines. otherwise on flat metal it works great. Also I like to use a DA with 200 to 320 grit sandpaper and it quickly removes paint from flat areas and gives a nice rough surface for etching primer to stick to
Pat Pixley
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 08:40:39 pm »

I've done the Chemical stripping & done the media blasting (Soda & or aluminum oxide ) and I would not go back to a chemical
again  media blasting is it for me.$70 and it is done and is still straight no warping at all smile and the old paint is gone along with the rust Cool
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 01:51:32 pm »

I agree with Pat. Media blasting is the way to go. Find a reputable, experienced blaster and he should have no problem removing paint and rust without warping especially on the older machine that have thicker gauge metal.

My guy that I have used charged me $60 an hour and did a good job.

I have used chemical stripper before. It works when the condtions are right. But, If given the choice, blasting is my #1 choice!

Brian
Pat Pixley
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 03:45:05 pm »

Here is one more plus for media blasting Chemical residue , I did have that happen once  the shop was not happy it was at the hinge and it lifted the paint by the hinge, the Media blasting is it  A++ for me  biggrin.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 07:22:12 pm by Pat Pixley » Logged
msanborn
25 Cent Member

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 05:49:47 pm »

I have the majority of the paint off, but it is messy, I just got my compressor back from the shop, so let's hope I can finish it with the sand blasting, if not, I will find a place close by.  Thanks t all.  M

Vendo 81
Vendo 39
Pepsi VMC 81
Ideal Slider
Glasco Slider
zadd
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 06:14:59 pm »

I use a mud hog with 36 and then 80 grit . Works great.

Zadd
Dr Pepper Queen Anne Bottle Machine
Dr Pepper Queen Anne Can Machine
7up Ideal 55 slider
Vendo 81D
VMC 33D
Nehi Pelco Koolie
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: