SMC Discussion Areas
June 29, 2024, 07:07:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stripping  (Read 9542 times)
msanborn
25 Cent Member

« on: August 21, 2010, 03:27:34 pm »

If you cannot sandblast, and a da grinder is out, what are folks thoughts on the best way to strip the outside of a machine to bare metal?  I am using airplane paint stripper right now, it is doing the trick, but not as advertised, any ideas?  Thanks.  M

Vendo 81
Vendo 39
Pepsi VMC 81
Ideal Slider
Glasco Slider
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 05:51:06 pm »

Surprised aircraft stripper is not doing the job. Maybe a light scuffing on the surface. Picture would help.
Creighton

msanborn
25 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 06:25:14 pm »

I expected more from it is all. It isn't bubbling like I expected and have to take a razor blade to it after I apply.

Vendo 81
Vendo 39
Pepsi VMC 81
Ideal Slider
Glasco Slider
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 10:03:23 pm »

Did you hit the paint with 80 grit sandpaper, then try the aircraft stripper? 

cokemachinesandmore
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 01:32:24 am »

are you giving it to to get absorbed into the paint?
msanborn
25 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 04:44:02 am »

I will hit it with the sandpaper first and see what happens, thanks. 

Vendo 81
Vendo 39
Pepsi VMC 81
Ideal Slider
Glasco Slider
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 10:28:05 am »

If you coat it very liberally with aircraft stripper then cover the machine with a plastic drop cloth for a few hours or overnight. This keeps it moist for longer without letting it dry out. When you pull the plastic off most of the paint will come with it. What doesn't come with it will easilly fall off with a scraper.

You can sandblast many areas on the machine you just cant sand blast the large flat areas as they will heat up and warp. if you have a blaster it works great for getting all of the old paint out of nooks  and corners as well as off of the embossing. If you cannot sand blast go buy various sizes of wire brushes to help remove the paint in the embossing and in any small hard to reach areas. Harbor Freight has cheap assortments of wire brushes that work great.
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 11:18:16 am »

I have found that when I need to use a chemical stripper the brand JASCO works really great.

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
msanborn
25 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 02:04:26 pm »

I bought several diff brushes and sandpaper today, plus some more stripper, I will keep at it, it seems to work best after I take the top coat down with an angle grinder with a light stripper attachment, I might try the plastic wrap, never though of that, but it makes sense.  Thanks to all.  M

Vendo 81
Vendo 39
Pepsi VMC 81
Ideal Slider
Glasco Slider
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 02:52:44 pm »

I have had great results form using a dewalt grinder (but not with the grinding disc) with a wire wheel attachment. No DA orbital or sanding disc as they dig into the metal and cause some pretty dip groves.

I have never had the best luck with paint remover or aircraft stripper on the older paints. Always had to take a wire wheel or sand blast them.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: