SMC Discussion Areas
June 26, 2024, 01:31:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hammertone Viscosity ?  (Read 4061 times)
choice120
« on: January 13, 2009, 03:26:33 pm »

I am going to give it a shot at using a hvlp gun. What should the viscosity be for the hammertone qts. Anyone use the hammertone qt? Or just use a spray bomb. Thanks any tips would be great.
MCarter
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 06:45:38 pm »

I shot it thur a gun. But i thinned it down Zelone. Lays great when it is thinned down

Matt

RC VMC - 81 Orignal
Vendo V-56 Two Tone Round Top ~~ Currently in use
Seeburg 100 G Jukebox ~~ Restored
Minit Pop Popcorn Machine ~~ Restored
Cavalier 55-D ~~ Restored
Rockola 1426 ~~ Orignal--- For Sale
Chicago Coin Band Box ~~~ Restored
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 11:00:59 pm »

I just tried it this weekend with a spray gun.  The quart of paint said to thin it up to 1 pint per gallon if needed. 
I went to Northern Tool and bought a $44.00 HVLP gun with a 2.3mm orfice.  I am not a fan of cheap stuff, but figured for the type paint and lack of use it will see the cheapo gun will work fine for me.  The gun even came packaged with a regulator.

I thinned it with Xylene.  I did not really measure it, just added till it looked thin enough to spray.  Shot it on some carbboard to test then went to town on a liner for an 81. 

This is the way to paint with this stuff.  There is almost no overspray.  I made an initial investment of about 75.00 including paint and thinner.  That is 8 cans at Lowes.  The next time I restore a machine I will be ahead by using this stuff. 

Marvin
choice120
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 07:45:01 am »

Marvifrom then nice job. I have done the same thing. I bought a 2 gun set from the depot. How did you paint your liner did you lay it flat for eeach side you painted? I tryed painting with the spray bomb with the piece hanging and painting vertically but got some runs. Also did you just eyeball it when you thinned the hammertone? Any tips would be great. Thanks
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 09:32:55 pm »

I just eyeballed the thinner.  Next time I will measure it correctly. 

As far as painting went...   First I made sure I had the drain tube soldered into place. 

Then I stood it up on the top.  I painted the all the outside I could get to to get a feel for the paint and gun.  I got a couple of runs in the outside, but no one will be looking at that so I didn't mind to much.
I painted the inside next, then once dry.  I stood it up with the bottom down and painted the top outside part.
Overall I am pretty happy with the way it came out.  The hammertone really lays down nice and hides inperfections well.

Marvin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: