SMC Discussion Areas
October 05, 2024, 09:29:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 81  (Read 11223 times)
bmw90w
10 Cent Member

« on: December 29, 2008, 02:07:40 pm »

Hey guys I have a line on a Vendo 81 a. It is complete with original paint. It cools and vends as well. There is no bad rust. The only thing evident, is the cracked door liner, and insulation, seals etc. The guy is willing to sell it for 1000. With shipping it will cost me about 1300. Should I go for it, or wait for one closer to me? I know everyone talks about these things, I just want to make sure 1000 is a good deal. I plan to keep not sell. Thanks for your help!

Cavalier CS-96
Vendo 81-A
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 03:25:27 pm »

Not a bad price including shipping - 95% of the door liners are cracked anyway, so even if it was local you would probably be replacing it. Is the paint nice enough to buff out and display as is?

Only problem I see is that you can't visually inspect it yourself. Sellers don't always know what to look for, but if you trust him and asked all the right questions and feel comfortable with it - go for it!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
bmw90w
10 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 03:58:15 pm »

As far as the paint, I think so. I am going to receive more pictures tonight. I am mostly concerned with the shape of the body, rust etc. I am not very good in those areas of restoration. I am also concerned with getting a different machine than described as well. What do you guys recommend using paypal? This just seemed like a great deal. Normally I would inspect the machine, but it is too far away for me to do that.

Cavalier CS-96
Vendo 81-A
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 04:13:14 pm »

Where is it at?
Maybe we have a member close by that would help you out by giving it a lookover.
As long as he confirms there is no beltline rust or beltline blistering of the paint and the top of the compressor area is not rusted through, then rust is probably not a major issue. There is never an original rust free machine though.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 04:18:33 pm »

1300 to your door isn't a bad price.
Definitely make sure you get  a lot of pics , especially around the louvers and  back, you don't want to be surprised by belt line rust.

I'm not sure how Paypal works on non auction, but I believe it allows you to file a dispute if their are issues. If there is a problem, I think you'd have a stronger chance  getting your money back than if you  send a money order or check.

Good luck, the 81's are a classic machine.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
cokecolaman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 07:40:32 pm »

PayPal sucks when it comes to refunds for issues...what I have been doing to be safe is use my credit card with PayPal and if I have a dispute, file it with both PayPal and the credit card company (Visa, in my case). Visa has been outstanding. I have had 4 or 5 disputes and the one I filed with PayPal I got screwed because the guy closed his bank account and I used my bank account instead of my credit card. So I was out the $120 and never received the item.
In your case, you would maybe be out the shipping?? Not sure about that part.But like I said, the credit card company will refund the charge (right away).

VMC Coke 88 (nice original)
VMC Pepsi 81
VMC Orange Crush 81
VMC Squirt 81
VMC Dr. Pepper 81
VMC RC 81
VMC 7up 81 st
Vendo 44 original
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Cavalier 33
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 09:13:25 pm »

Another option is U SHIP.COM......this site is like e-bay for truckers, you state
pickup and delivery locations and if it's on their route and if they have cargo room,
they will bid for your buisness. You select by price / time frame/ and feedbacks.
       But once you make a selection, this guy now works for you. So you make out a money order for $1000 which is only valid to that seller (or you) and mail it to your new shipper. When he arrives to pickup the machine, if it is as described, he pays the guy and brings it back to you, if not he calls you.
       I used this service a few months ago, and this guy wasn't even a trucking company,
he just traveled north and south California often, and used U SHIP to help pay for gas
for his cargo van. He had unlimited minutes on his cel phone and kept me updated the
whole trip. Great guy to deal with! Plus it was door to door shipping. happydrinkers
       Price was much less what most shipping companies charged even when gas was $4.50.
       I was very pleased with the whole process ............ so big shippers better beware! 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 09:25:04 pm by MoonDawg » Logged

Glen
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 10:15:23 pm »

I used U-Ship several times and had no problems until my last machine delivery. The shipper dropped it and wouldn't pay insurance on it. The consolidator that took the shipment past it off to another company and neither one would pay for damages. I went to U-Ship for help and they wouldn't even return an email message. The company i used listed that they were covered by insurance and the shipper listed that they were covered by insurance. I would never use them again. Your best bet is NAVL. They wrap it and ship it and it won't get damaged.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 11:24:35 pm »

When the Saying, "It's a Small World" is used,, I guess it applies to Soda Machines as well.
I believe the original poster of this thread is the same gentleman that I've been emailing about the Vendo 81a that I have for sale on my local Craigslist, and who I have quoted approximately 300 in shipping... the coincidences are uncanny, so I'm guessing where talking about my machine... if so, hello Terry and Welcome to the best Soda Machine site in the world!.
As far as price... Yes i think it's a GREAT DEAL! biggrin

as far as trusting me on description and details on the machine, I hope that my rep amongst these other collectors will assure you this is a good deal for you.. as for the rest of you...No I'm not selling ALL my 81s for 1000 Each..  laugh :biggrin:I just picked this one up reasonable and would rather pay down the Christmas debt instead of adding another 81 to the corral...

Terry, check your email, the other pictures and description are being sent tonight..
Thanks!
John

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
bmw90w
10 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 01:16:28 am »

Busted! Well now I feel better atleast! Small world indeed. I have always trusted this site, now I feel better about this machine. I look forward to the email!

Cavalier CS-96
Vendo 81-A
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: