SMC Discussion Areas
June 26, 2024, 02:05:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help ID 1972 Cavalier  (Read 4358 times)
sitano

« on: October 14, 2008, 04:54:52 am »

Well I've been through nearly all of the Cavalier Pix & went through this forum looking to ID this machine. It has 5 selectors, single cost coinco changer, cans that load into slots that zig zag back & down and drop the cans out a single slot in the front. (one of the cans sprung a leak) The tag inside serial # CD5-135M. The electrical diagram says it's Cavalier. But I can't find anything that has that number.

The problem with the machine is that when I installed a new coin mech, it dropped one can and then the coin mech went dead. I tried jumping the 8pin jones plug, pin 1 to pin 3 and I could hear the solenoid click and the choose light comes on, but when I push any of the select buttons... no vendie.... before I install another coin mech (don't need to burn out another one) what do I check next? darn

also is this serial number cross reference with another model? I'm looking for a manual.
I found a parts list for this serial number at SODAMACHINEMANUALS.COM but no service manual.

any help would be greatly appreciated. help

Thanx/peace Steve

ps, Just found that the "Dixie Narco DN-300-5" looks like my machine... hmmmm could it be a Dixie with Cavalier electrical?Huh? tounge
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 05:38:21 am by sitano » Logged
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 07:16:35 am »

Steve,

Can you post a photo?  My guess is the serial number you listed is the number for the compressor deck, not the machine.  Most machines will have a data plate on the outside of the machine somewhere.

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
sitano

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 10:02:47 pm »

Here are some pix to help identify this machine. I looked for a data tag on the outside and couldn't see anything. All of the schematics say Cavalier, Chattanooga TN.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 10:08:50 pm by sitano » Logged
sitano

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 10:06:23 pm »

We have this machine in our self help community bike shop. BikeOven.com we're hoping to have this for various cold drinks while we work on bikes. Any help getting this up and running would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx/peace Steve

ps. I jumped the relay and seems to work, but what voltage should the pins on Jones plug show when the relay in electrified?

I checked the contiunity on all of the select switches, they all seem to work. But how do I chaeck to see if they're getting the proper voltage?

How do you test the time delay circuit?

« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 10:14:38 pm by sitano » Logged
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 10:35:32 pm »

It's definitely a Cavalier!
And appears to be a CD5-135M as you mentioned...
I haven't seen any documentation on a "CD" series; I've seen C4, C5... and CC4,CC5... But not a CD5...
Interesting... Looks to be fairly small for a 70's machine.
Have you attempted to setup a free vend switch...? This can be found in the Coin Mechanism Section under Free Play Switch...

My six cents,

Jim

sitano

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 01:52:57 am »

This site totally rocks. I'd be so lost without all of the folks who make this site work.

OK... So I built a free vend switch, plugged it in, pushed the button and then hit #5 of the select switches... whoa... sparks near the # 4 or 5 relay motors and she dumped one can... I took a chance and tried the free vend switch again,  I tried all the other selection buttons and nada... no sparks, no vend..javascript:void(0);

So I re-checked each select switch, pulled the wires and tested each, all worked according to the schematic.

Next I checked the empty rack relays, #'s 1,2,3 all checked out ok, 4 was intermittent, and 5 was dead, no changes in continuity  regardless if it was up or pushed down.

With the machine powered up....

I also checked the voltage at the empty lights with the racks empty. 1,2,& 3,=120v, 4=37v, 5=37,  also all but one of the lights work:oh:

I tested the voltage at the Jones plug> 1+2= 120v, 2=3=0,  2+4=0v, 2+5=15v, 2+6=19v  2+7=17v, 2+8=0v

Time Delay board voltage with one probe on jones 2, other probe on> 1, 2, 3, 4 all zero

-with the free vend switch held down 1=0v, 2=120v, 3=44v, 4=43v

-When I pushed and then released free vend switch> 1=0v, 2=120v then immediately dropped to 1.8v, 3 & 4 both went up to 44v and then immediately dropped to zero.

How do I check the diode on the time delay board? Also how do you test the capacitor?

How do I pull the relays to test them, or is there a way to do it while in the machine? I couldn't tell how you get to the vending relays and the empty can sensors. Do I have to pull the entire rack or is there a way to get to them from the front?

Also I check the 2 lights above the coin slot, the top light showed 120v, the light below it showed 68v.

This is getting to be like a bad detective mystery CSI thriller.... what should I do next???

Thanx

ps.... should I move this conversation to a different forum??? or should I just take this machine out back and put a bullet in it javascript:void(0);
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 04:14:59 pm by sitano » Logged
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 01:06:40 pm »

darn This is why I only collect/restore Mechanical machines darn

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
sitano

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 04:10:34 pm »

OUCH.... so what caliber should I shoot this machine with??? Any suggestions??
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: