SMC Discussion Areas
June 15, 2024, 11:13:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: There ought to be a law.....  (Read 2222 times)
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« on: July 27, 2008, 06:56:39 pm »

Okay, need to vent a little...

On Saturday, I went to a house to pickup something my wife bought off Craigslist.  On the carport was a very nice original Westinghouse WD-22.  So I struck up a conversation with the husband.  He said he picked it up off a job he did at a school a while ago.  I asked if it worked.  He said it didn't have a compressor in it.

After I loaded the cabinet my wife bought, I asked to look at it.   I opened the lid to find it filled with miscellaneous junk.  Junk aside, the inside was in very good shape, too - no rust, rot, etc.  I then felt to see if the evap coil was there - yes it was.  So, I then looked inside the hole where the cap catcher drawer (missing) was - compressor was there and intact.  I told the guy the compressor was there, and his reply was, "I ought to plug it in!"  I told him to be careful when he did it.  He then asked excitedly, "What's it worth?"  I told him if it worked, no more than $200 (because of the size and I didn't want to tell him he could retire on it if he was interested in parting with it).  If it didn't, no more than $50.  His reply - "Well, if it's only worth a couple hundred, I need it for storage more than that!
 darn darn darn

What a ______ (insert your favorite body-part expletive here).  It's such a shame a solid, decent original is going to rot holding some one's junk. Even $50 could buy a nice set of shelves.

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 10:53:46 pm »

He then asked excitedly, "What's it worth?" 

Relax Wayne..$50.00 is more than he will get from anybody local, especially with
that obsolete compressor and missing the cap catcher. They are dinosours and are
very hard to sell, bottom of the demand scale because they are so large and so many
still exist. Had a landscaper ask me to remove one from a home he is working on today.
Terry at Sodaworks has stacks of them people gave to him too!
    That seller was the real loser today, not you! biggrin
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 10:56:07 pm by MoonDawg » Logged

Glen
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 04:54:52 am »

Thanks, Glen.  It just cheeses me off some one is GIVEN a machine and the guy only wants to use it for storage of junk on a carport.  I agree - those big things are dinosaurs, but would be good for a deck.  However, seeing something "die a dishonorable death" is a little sad for the hobby.  Again, thanks for the pep talk. happydrinkers

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
Pages: [1]   Go Up