SMC Discussion Areas
September 28, 2024, 06:48:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Father's Day Find  (Read 5519 times)
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« on: June 19, 2008, 10:22:00 pm »

As I noted in my previous post, Father's Day also happened to be my birthday  happydrinkers so I figured I would get a free pass from the War Department to buy a machine or maybe even two.  Well I went out and looked at a couple and only ended up buying one--although I did pick up a nice compressor off of CL the other day to run my recently ordered soda blaster so I guess that counts as two!

In case any of the Michigan guys were watching, I jumped on the Vendorlator VMC-144SA that was posted on E-bay from Ann Arbor last weekend.  I contacted the guy to go have a look and he immediately said that if I liked it he would let me buy it and he would end the auction.  He wanted $300 but I still had to look at another machine so I told him I would call back after I saw the other machine.  Anyway, the other machine turned out to have several problems so I called him back and made a deal.  Here is one picture that I grabbed from his E-Bay post.  I will post more but I just got it home and it is too dark to take any good pictures.  And of course, the machine was in his basement and it was not a walkout. veryangry   It took me a while to round up some strong backs as you might imagine so I had to buy a few  drinking !  Believe it or not I was able to get it into my wife's Chrysler Town and Country Mini Van!

Neat machine but it is a little heavy.  The serial number starts with 1953 so I assume it was made in 53.  It is an embossed Coca-Cola and a complete machine which is the main reason that I picked it up.

help Anybody know where I can get a manual for this one?  help It cools but there is either a problem with the selector switch or the vending motor.  This one will have to wait until I get my Vendo V-39 restored.  The first batch of parts just arrived from Fun-tronics today!

So what is the consensus, did I get a good deal?  Any other information that you all can share would be helpful!

As always, thanks for the input!

Tim
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 10:31:49 pm »

Wow... She looks like she's in really good shape... no doubt lived indoors all her life...
I know it a larger machine.. but hey... They need TLC too! I think you did well....
Great find! congrats! happydrinkers

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 10:36:30 pm »

I think you got a fantastic deal. If the vend motor is bad you may have a hard time getting another but you should be able to get it rewound at an electric motor shop. I like the 144's. they are tall but they look good. Especially the multi vend machines. I think you got a great deal.
Sodaman101
5 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 01:41:37 am »

Agreed it looks NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE  biggrin
BryanH
Soda Jerks

Sweatin' in Arizona... but it's a dry heat!

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 01:25:39 pm »

Nice find... you don't see many with the Refresh Yourself sign.  Is it porcelain - I think that's what the original signs were made of.

Thanks, Bryan
   Cavalier USS-96: unrestored, working on the back patio
   CV VUB/C 8-91: a fantasy restoration?
   GE Cooler: in pieces, my next project
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 01:55:22 pm »

Bryan,

Not sure on the sign material as it is behind a frame and glass or plexiglass.  Not ready to start on this one so the answer will have to wait but the sign appears to be in excellent shape.

Everyone else,

Thanks for the comments.  This machine has a few bumps and bruises like all machines of its vintage but it is in overall good shape.  Found a little rust through on the tub under the evaporator but it looks easily repairable.

I have attached the promised pics.  A little cloudy and rainy today so I had to take them in the garage and the lighting is not the greatest.

Tim
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 01:59:53 pm »

Great find, Tim!  I haven't seen too many of those around, and it looks to be a nice looking machine.  Doesn't appear to need too much to be nicely displayable.

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 02:13:24 pm »

A few more.  The last one shows a few of my other recently acquired tools of the trade.  An air compressor that I got on CL for $200.  Central Pneumatic 4 HP, 115 PSI, 16.4/15.7/14.5CFM @ 40/70/90PSI.  This will be matched with my Eastwood Soda Blaster that is on order.

I also decided it was time to pick up an appliance dolly.  $99.00 at Tractor Supply Company!

Three more tools I never thought I would own!  Gotta love this hobby!  happydrinkers

Tim
Pat Pixley
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 02:18:43 pm »

Now where in Brighton do you live and what time do you leave for work   Cool Just Joking.
 I'll have to get over you way this summer so we can meet up .
Maybe have a S.M.C. Michigan  meet  oh.

Well that is a fine looking 144 you did real good.

Pat
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 10:45:13 pm »

Three more tools I never thought I would own!  Gotta love this hobby!  happydrinkers

That's the beauty of any new project.. Gotta have the tools to get it done..
soon there'll be a welder, a couple grinders, paint booth.. etc... just wait..

Have fun with them all , and the machines too.. nice find for that price!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: