SMC Discussion Areas
June 26, 2024, 01:43:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hot Compressor  (Read 10472 times)
lcrabtree
« on: January 11, 2008, 04:22:12 pm »

I have a V-110.  The machine cools but when left running for any lenght of time the compressor gets extremely hot.  I'm afraid to to leave it running.  Any ideas why its hot?  Any simple solutions?
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 04:36:47 pm »

Bad T-stat?

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
lcrabtree
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 04:39:10 pm »

Ok, what's a T-stat?
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 04:49:13 pm »

Hi

Its a Thermostat. Like the one you have in your fridge. You can turn it up and down.
You could try that... They are not expensive and it's easy to change them (even I do that)

The guys here will tell you where you can ge one locally but you can also get them from the site sponsers, Funtronic & Soda Jerk Works...

Dave

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 05:47:51 pm »

The machine cools but when left running for any length of time the compressor gets extremely hot. 

The sole purpose of the lower fan motor is to cool that compressor. Is the fan blade spinning?

Glen
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 09:20:27 pm »

Is there a cardboard shroud around the fan blade. This helps to draw the cooling air through the fins.

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 09:30:06 pm »

here's a few basic things to check...

first make sure the machines cooled down before checking the following,

if the lower/compressor fan running?
if so, the unplug the machine, temporarly place a bunched-up rag undr the fans blades to keep it from spinning & now plug the machine back in & with a gloved hand, feel to check if the compressor itself is running, if so, then remove the rag ( carefully & watch your fingers!) & check to see if the machine is making cold air up in the bottle area,

if the compressors fan isn't spinning, then you have to replace it

if the compressors running, but it's not getting the bottle area cold, then you may have a low/undercharged cooling system ( no freon inside) it may be due to a leak due to age, etc.

also make sure the condensor coil ( lower black radiator) is clean & free of dust-bunnies & lint blocking the coils/fins ( no air blowing  thru them , assuming that the fans running)

if the compressors not running & it's making a "clicking" noise, it may need to be replaced,

if the compressor runs, but then "clicks" out/stops, then starts again, it may be low on freon, or just getting ready to fail completly

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
lcrabtree
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 08:37:36 am »

Thanks for the help.  The fan runs fine and the black shroud is intact.  The machine hasn't been run in a long time.  The compressor does click on and the upper coils immediately get cold but the compressor clicks off after less then a minute.  I'm pretty sure it need a new starter. 

What I wasn't sure of is if it was normal for the compressor to be hot to the touch?  Is this just because of initial start-up and it will cool down when the box is cool.  Should the compressor feel hot to the touch at any time?  If not, is this an internal issue with the compressor? 
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 10:06:09 am »

I read your message in another topic. call eric at Global. It doesn't sound to me that you need a rebuild just maybe a part or two. Eric is not the type to just want your money. he is a really fair honest person. he has helped me diagnose several problems over the phone and I have sent a mech to him. If the  the compressor is bad you will need to send it in but it sounds to me like either a starter or a thermostat. Either one he will sell you the parts and you can install.
Yarochrehc
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 08:52:12 pm »

The compressor will get hot, but it should not get so hot that it will burn you.  It sounds like the start relay is stuck in the start winding mode, that's why it clicks out the overload shortly after it starts.
You should'nt run the unit until you get a new part or you could chance burning out the compressor.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 08:53:44 pm by Yarochrehc » Logged

Bob

Restored
Vendo H63B  Coke in use in basement
Original
Vendo V/VF63/7  Pepsi in use

Restoring: Glascock Standard
(2) Vendo 63
(2)Vendo 90
Vendo 126  waiting for paint
VMC 56
Westinghouse WE-6