SMC Discussion Areas
September 20, 2024, 11:34:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My introduction and some questions...  (Read 6174 times)
cokentn
« on: December 10, 2007, 08:28:49 am »

Hi everybody. I'm not sure if this is the correct place to introduce myself, but here goes.
My name is Mark and I have had an interest in Coke memorbalia long as I can remember. I even have a pic of myself sitting on a table when I was 8 or so playing with a plastic toy Coke dispenser, late 60's/1970, and I still have that toy in my collectoin and play with it with my kids now. So, I have a Coke history, I guess. But, I have always wanted my own machine.
 I have recently bought a Cornelius SV-136-4AC.....I think. haha. It works! It needs a little refining and a few small non-necessary parts, but after late last nite my 11 year old son and I stood there and enjoyed seeing the first coke drop out! I told him don't drink it, we have to use it again. LOL.
I was able to find it on this website in the Cornelius section...sort of.Mine looks similar to that picture, including the folding wire platform. But mine has 5 buttons on front and two small drop doors or whatever they're called. I'm still learning soda machine terminology.
Here is what the plates say:
Cornelius type 120
Model Conv 5
Serial 50 0847 6995

I need a coin collector..there is a can squeezed in there now.
I need a key
I need to replace the dark 1970's woodgrain paper on the front and would like to replace the .50 cent sticker or whatever was there. That space is empty now. And would like the bottle deposit sticker replaced. Also, I'd like a manual.
Should I leave it running all the time? Is that good/bad for it? it cools great, matter of fact, I had to adjust the thermostat cause it was 28 degrees in 45 minutes in there.
Does it use a lot of electricity? Do you see a change in your electric bills?
Can I adjust the slots and use it for bottled water?
Is it possible to "override" the coin exchange and just push a button to get one dispensed? I don't want to damage the coin mechanism though, cause it works.
Is it possible to tell the year?  I was able to magnify the wiring diagram on the inside panel and see some dates that went from 1969-1971 was the latest. Regretfully, what I thought was dirt and tried to rub off was indeed the old paper itself, so I was really upset with myself for rubbing off that date.
I am very VERY excited about this machine. My son and I both are. We were exploring it and enjoying stories around it last nite about when I worked at a store as a kid and had to refill the machine. I had forgotten about it until I opened this machine up and smelled that cold metal smell and it took me back to my teenage years. He enjoyed those stories.
Soon, my wife stuck her head into thte garage and said "10 more minutes guys...it's bedtime!" haha
I can take pix if it'll help you sodamachineologists. I've read thru some posts, you guys really know your machines!
Thanks for your insights into this new adventure,
Mark in Tennessee
cormy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 12:00:10 pm »

Yes, there is something about that smell isn't there? Chilled galvanized metal...Try Funtronics for some parts, I'm sure the contact number is somewhere on this site.

cmc
cokentn
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 12:03:55 pm »

Thanks, I'll look them up. Good suggestion.
 I've called Cornelius company this morning. Spoke with a guy with 33 years in service there and he said they quit making those a few years before he came.
He looked thru all his info possible and can't find any thing, any record, nothing, about this unit.
So..i've either got a collector's item or a white elephant. LOL.
Whichever....it's mine and I LIKE it!
Mark
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 12:20:30 pm »

You said it ... As long as you like it , that is all that matters... on the collectability scale, yeah not the most collectable like a Vendo 81 or something like that ... but you have memories with it and that is very important.. especially if you can get it to work!

Let's see some photos...

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
cokentn
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 12:25:48 pm »

Sure, I'll get some tonite maybe and post em after I get home from work.
As for working..man it works great! As I said, it cools and vends.
And it looks wicked cool in my garage.  tounge
I was amazed at how much my 11 year old son knew about Coke machines. I said something about it, I forget and he said, No dad, they stopped making those in the 80's.
Thanks son  glare
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 12:33:05 pm »

Hi Mark,
I see you found the best soda site! Recently honored in Collector's Weekly!
Fun-Tronics is run by the very knowledgable Steve Ebner (301) 371-5246 (ME). He can answer most any soda question you throw at him.
You can also try www.sodajerkworks.com (CA) run by another very knowledgable man Steve Jebb.
Both places offer an abundance of repro parts and also have some original parts laying around.
There is also Randy in MO - I don't know his number off hand but do a search and it'll turn up.
You can try www.sodamuseum.com for a manual.

Just so you know (may already know for the sound of your post), soda machines are very addicting!
All of us here started with one and then another and another....before you know it you have 30...then you start looking at other coin-op items and vintage gas pumps and video games and pinball machines and a new wife because the other one couldn't handle your obsession....when will it stop?
Just kidding! Somewhat?...most of the married people on this site have very patient, understanding wives!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 12:55:40 pm by collecture » Logged

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
cokentn
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 12:46:54 pm »

haha, was I that obvious?  blush
As I said, I have long admired and collected a few pieces. My pride Coke piece is a 1934 calendar BRAND NEW..It was found rolled in it's container in between some walls when a Coke plant was torn down. The finder called me.
I have several trays...I really like the old Coke things, not the new stuff that can be picked up at WalMart for a dollar.
But now..the machines...OH MY...what next???
Do you guys have a support group if you get in over your head?  help
Thanks for letting me in to ask machine questions. This is a good place!
Mark
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 04:06:30 pm by cokentn » Logged
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 03:58:21 pm »

The type of "support group" here amounts to:

*  Who is near (city/state) and can help ship this to me?
*  Does anyone have an extra....?
*  What type of ... do you guys use for...?

That type of "support" comes from this "group".   biggrin

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 04:26:20 pm »

Hello cokentn,
Welcome aboard happydrinkers

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
jasmine64
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 04:29:24 pm »

most of the married people on this site have very patient, understanding wives!

Or hubby in my case.

My first memory of a soda machine is in my dad's body shop in the front office.
Spent many hours in there with the secretary and helped her load the machine
many times.

They had a small old recliner next to it I fell asleep many times leaned up against that machine with it humming away.

The smel of bondo, paint, oil, grease and bottled soda brings back many memories of that old body shop. Wish I had that machine most of all.

Marsha

Cav. CD 22
Choice Vend 168 - Use daily.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: