SMC Discussion Areas
September 28, 2024, 05:31:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spray Paint  (Read 3373 times)
Gumbo
25 Cent Member

« on: November 04, 2007, 09:40:08 pm »

I've got a nice Borden Ice Cream sign that is porcelain. It is a two sided sign, one side is great, but the other has bright green spray paint on it. What will be the best way to try to get the spray paint off without hurting the porcelain colors? Paint thinner? Remover? I'm not sure if the spray paint is water or oil based and it has been on the sign for >15 yrs.  help

Anderson
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 09:49:27 pm »

Hello, Gumbo

I'v had a couple of signs painted like that .As long as there Porcelain I use a 3M Fine cutter rubbing compond & use a high speed buffer . You can find it a Auto paint stores .

Ltransam

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
Pat Pixley
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 12:31:29 am »

I got to go with Leanard on this a fine cutter rubbing compound but I've always
worked that sort of stuff out by hand  just to be safe. smile

Pat
cormy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 11:37:37 am »

I have had good success on porcelain signs with a stove top cleaner made for ceramic glass tops. I use a fine steel wool and plenty of the cleaner. Just be sure the porcelain is in good shape. I think is called Cerma Brite.

cmc
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 01:16:27 pm »

If your sign is truly ceramic, the colors wont be harmed by any standard grafitti removal spray, ( as the color is part of the ceramic/glass face of the sign) however, if your sign is a painted sign, this would remove the signs paint as well, if you decide to use the rubbing compound , go easy on the pressure & use a fine 00 steel wool pad, as you don't want to dull the surface, I like the cerama-bright idea to for a final polish, but I don't know if it would have enough "cut" to remove the paint, let us know how it turns out!   easy does it!

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
aspbear
25 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 08:00:13 pm »

I clean porcelain signs with lacquer thinner as long as it is truly porcelain it will not harm it at all.  Then I just use Meguair's gold car wax and have good luck so far.  I use the same process on the old glass candy jars like Toms, Lances and Stewarts with good luck...

aspbear
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: