SMC Discussion Areas
June 29, 2024, 07:28:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideal a 55  (Read 2642 times)
Dan
« on: April 05, 2006, 10:28:32 am »

Hello. This is my first post to the site, although I have been reading it on and off for about a year. I picked up an Ideal A 55 from a sales yard last year. It is embossed with the Pepsi logo on a yellow background. Only the logo is showing because the rest of the body has been painted white.Above the nameplate is a vey small metal tag reading "Pepsi-Cola Co. 1366". The date inside the coin mechanism says July 1955.
It's in awful shape, but I think its beautiful.

Question 1:The compressor runs really well. Too well, in fact, because it's actually freezes the pop (never shuts off). The thermostat seems to have two electric leads coming off it and a very fine coil going up into the machine. No matter how I turn the thermostat dial it will not regulate the temperature.
Is it possible to replace the thermostat with somethng available today?
Question 2: I tried to attach a photo but it didn't work. Is there some easy way to attach photos?
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 11:38:31 am »

Dan,

Welcome aboard!

As for your questions, a replacement thermostat can be purchased through one of the sponsors of this site, Funtronics.  The guy who runs it is top notch.  When some one has trouble attaching a photo, it could be because the photo was too large.  There is a size restriction.

Again, glad to have you here.

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
BryanH
Soda Jerks

Sweatin' in Arizona... but it's a dry heat!

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 03:45:36 pm »

Quote (Dan @ April 05 2006,9:28)
Question 1:The compressor runs really well. Too well, in fact, because it's actually freezes the pop (never shuts off). The thermostat seems to have two electric leads coming off it and a very fine coil going up into the machine. No matter how I turn the thermostat dial it will not regulate the temperature.
Is it possible to replace the thermostat with somethng available today?
Question 2: I tried to attach a photo but it didn't work. Is there some easy way to attach photos?

Dan - welcome aboard.  The Ideal55 is a great machine (if I do say so myself).  As for your questions:

#1 - as Wayne said Funtronics stocks parts as does TheSodaJerkWorks.  Both are sponsors of this site (look up top and you'll see their banners) and they are top notch.  They'll talk you through almost any situation and supply parts where possible.

#2 - Click the help button above and select the "File Attachments" link for detailed directions.

Thanks, Bryan
   Cavalier USS-96: unrestored, working on the back patio
   CV VUB/C 8-91: a fantasy restoration?
   GE Cooler: in pieces, my next project
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: