SMC Discussion Areas
September 28, 2024, 02:25:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrical help question  (Read 2543 times)
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« on: March 19, 2006, 12:26:38 pm »

I am planning on plugging in my new VMC 88 and using it for a while at the shop. My questions is the electricity at the shop keeps browning out. There are train tracks just across the street and it seems to happen most when the train is going by, but it also happens when it isn't. I would say on average the lights dim about 5 to 6 time an hour. It doesn't go way down most of the time but it is noticable. Every now and then it goes way down. It even set off the neighbors house alarm the other day. My question is how bad is this on the cooling system on the 88. Also I run my air compressor alot and also Kate runs her Welder alot. WIll this damage our tools and machines? Any help would be great.
dr galaga
Soda Jerks

Sorry, but it's a POP MACHINE!

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 01:21:43 pm »

Sory I can't answer your questions, but have you called your utilitiy company? 5-6 times an hour is not good for most things!

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
The ultimate glass bottle soda site: www.GlassBottleSoda.org
My gameroom: Arcade80s.net
Yarochrehc
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 02:37:50 pm »

Most voltages are not suppose to vary more than 7% of the applied voltage, if they do this can shorten the life span of equipment by quite a bit.

Some motors with overloads can take a little more than those that do not, but it is still hard on them.  When the voltage goes down, the amperage goes up which is hard on the windings in the motor of the compressor. It will eventually break down the coating on the windings and short them out. The lower the voltage , the higher the ampreage, the shorter the life span.

Bob

Restored
Vendo H63B  Coke in use in basement
Original
Vendo V/VF63/7  Pepsi in use

Restoring: Glascock Standard
(2) Vendo 63
(2)Vendo 90
Vendo 126  waiting for paint
VMC 56
Westinghouse WE-6
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 05:55:35 pm »

Isn't there some sort of voltage regulator that you can buy?

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 07:29:40 pm »

Quote (collecture @ Mar. 19 2006,5:55)
Isn't there some sort of voltage regulator that you can buy?

For the load that he is talking about, its not worth it. It would cost more than a good sized generator to supply consistant power.

It is definately worth a call to the power company. Put a volt meter on the system and see how low it drops, and for how long. Any electronics (pc's, stereos, etc) you may have plugged in are also highly succeptable to the brownouts as well.

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 03:11:23 pm »

Quote (Yarochrehc @ Mar. 19 2006,2:37)
Most voltages are not suppose to vary more than 7% of the applied voltage, if they do this can shorten the life span of equipment by quite a bit.

Some motors with overloads can take a little more than those that do not, but it is still hard on them.  When the voltage goes down, the amperage goes up which is hard on the windings in the motor of the compressor. It will eventually break down the coating on the windings and short them out. The lower the voltage , the higher the ampreage, the shorter the life span.

So does that mean 240v equipment will last longer than its 120v counterpart ?  Does Hz (50 vs 60) play a role at all ?

Also, is single phase 240v better than dual phase 120v ? (obvously the latter applies over here, but Aus/Eur use 240)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: