SMC Discussion Areas
July 02, 2024, 12:15:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: V-39 6 cent  (Read 7425 times)
Lulu
« on: April 17, 2005, 04:40:03 am »

I picked up a V-39 6 cent machine the other day.  Does anyone know around when these were out there?  My memory only goes back to the 10 cent ones.  Thanks.
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 06:15:33 pm »

Just takin' a stab at it...I think the 6 cent models were considered the "Early" (all red) model which would date it anywhere from 1949 to the mid 50's.

Just a guess, anybody else?

Brian
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 07:20:30 pm »

That's correct, 49 to mid 50's. for the early model (solid red). mid 50's to 59 on the late models (red and white).

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
Lulu
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 06:52:33 am »

Mine is all red.  Thanks for the info.
LuAnn
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 07:29:07 am »

To the best of my knowledge, there are three versions of the V-39:
The first one has the embossed "Ice Cold" on the cabinet door and the raised line that extends up the coin door. The other thing to note is the cabinet has only two louvres on each side for cross ventilation.
The second version dropped the "Ice Cold" and the embossed line and only has the embossed Vendo logo on the cabinet door in the lower right corner. The cabinet louvres have changes; there is more of them and they changed to a smaller size. This version is generally considered to be the start of the "White Top" paint scheme Coca-Cola adopted in 1956.
The last version has the same cabinet as the previous version and now the cabinet door is smooth along the bottom; no embossed lettering at all.

As far as the "six cents" is concerned, Terry & Brian are correct; however, I wouldn't use this method to date your machine. I would look at the serial number to get the manufacture date. Pricing of Coca-Cola wasn't exactly the same throught the country; there seems to have been, for some reason or another, a delay in various geographical areas... Some areas actually had 7 cents and I think the penny or pennies had no effect on the function of the coin mech. It was generally common knowledge to insert the penny first, followed by the nickel to acquire the product. It's been a while since I had a six/seven cent machine, but check to see if the penny is actually utilized in the vending process... I have seen some machines that actually had a Penny Box attached to a machine! Kind of an honor system, place a penny in the penny box and then insert a nickel into the machine for the product. I don't think this lasted very long, just a few months or so, the six cent and seven cent soda because people caught on quickly and the addoption of ten cent sodas became prevolent throught the country.

On a side note, since the Six Cent Soda was mentioned; I thought I would elaborate on my signature... "My Six Cents" when pronounced sounds like "My Sixth Sense" which I used to think I had a Sixth Sense on finding soda machines... At least years ago I did...

My six cents,

Jim

BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 12:46:22 pm »

Hehehe, Jim, that's pretty funny about your signature! Thanks for the clarification on this 6 cent matter. I love learning about the in's and out's of various machines!

Brian
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 01:35:54 pm »

The coin mech. has 2 cradles. One for a nickle and one for a dime. A penny won't work in either.  Also the coin rejector would not let a penny through to the coin mech.
      Pennies had to deposited somewhere besides the coin slot, or they would reject and return to the coin return cup

Glen
joesquid
25 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 09:51:12 pm »

I think it depends on the coin mech.  I just got done repairing a 6 cent coin mech that came out of a Vendo 39.  The penny worked a separate cam that worked in conjunction with the 5 cent cam.  Apparently it was designed to be a 7 cent coin mech but a special penny-shaped slug with two projections through the center (like a center shaft) was placed in the penny cam so that only one penny was required to actuate the cam.

Eric "Joe Squid" Johnson

1955 Vendo 23 - awaiting restoration
1959 Westinghouse WC-44SK - awaiting parts
1967 Cavalier CS-64G - functional in house
1969 Vendo 63 - in restoration
joesquid
25 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 09:56:33 pm »

One thing to correct.  The coin mech came out of a Westinghouse WC42T.

Eric "Joe Squid" Johnson

1955 Vendo 23 - awaiting restoration
1959 Westinghouse WC-44SK - awaiting parts
1967 Cavalier CS-64G - functional in house
1969 Vendo 63 - in restoration
Lulu
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2005, 05:14:20 am »

I saw this while browsing.  Is this the "honor box" that was mentioned?  

Ebay #  6182799399
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: