SMC Discussion Areas
June 03, 2024, 02:35:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommendation needed!  (Read 2478 times)
saturnkk

« on: July 01, 2015, 02:05:38 pm »

I currently own a Coke C-51 that I restored myself and keep in my basement.  It is a workhorse and chills to the bone. 

I live in Michigan, on the water and want to put a chest / slider style Coke or Pepsi Machine out there.  I would use it from about May until about October and would prefer to leave it there during the winter (off of course).  I like something on the small to medium size that can handle differnet size bottles and/or flavors.  My questions are:

1.  What would be the best 1940's - 1950's machine for this purpose (looks, size, ease of obtaining parts, and reliability)
2.  What should I expect to spend for one that is in nice condition (e.g. doesn't need restoration) but doesn't have to be perfect?
3.  Any issues with keeping it outside all year in Michigan?  I would think not since they are designed for outside use but I am not familiar with chest / slider type units.
4.  Where is a good place to find one that is in decent shape for purchase at a fair price?

Thanks!!

Cavalier - C51 Coke
Glasco Slider Coke

Looking for:
Jacobs 56
Vendo 44
Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 03:38:29 pm »

Hi...Welcome back to the site.

I live in Royal Oak and have about 8-10 sliders that you can check out.  Some are coke, embossed pepsi, and 1 vernors. Some are Glasco 50's, Ideal 55's, and Ideal 35 sliders.

They all cool great, and vary in condition, completeness, and price.

PM or email me if you want to check them out.

Slider Bob
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 03:44:06 pm by Slider-Bob » Logged

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Pepsi, 7up VMC 81
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 03:39:42 pm »

I think I'd go with a Glasco Coke "fishtail" slider, they seem to be plentiful and relatively inexpensive.  Unless you want to pop for something embossed... then it's probably an Ideal you'd want, but the cost will vary.    More likely than not you can find someone here selling one at a fair cost (Slider Bob?) or hit your local Craigslist.

Would it be covered outside or exposed to rain/snow ?

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
saturnkk

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 04:03:39 pm »

Exposed to rain and snow... but I could always get a cover for the winter.

Cavalier - C51 Coke
Glasco Slider Coke

Looking for:
Jacobs 56
Vendo 44
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: