SMC Discussion Areas
July 02, 2024, 05:50:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Taking a Early Summer Vacation (Sadly from SMC)  (Read 3119 times)
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« on: April 25, 2015, 01:18:30 pm »

I asked myself 2 questions, I'm I still enjoying this site and have I been getting anything out of it and honestly I answered no to both so it's time for a break from here.

I don't know how long I've been a member here but I do know I have been on daily for at least 2 years. In the past resent weeks this site has really taken a turn, (not for the better). I'm just not sensing the friendly feeling I have always had when surfing the site. Instead I'm just feeling a lot of tension, tension I don't need to feel.

It seems in the past we would all welcome new members, congratulate each other on our latest finds, complement each other on our work from a great wax and buff to a full on restoration. many talented people here by the way. And although there is still some of that still going on, it seems to be almost a thing of the past. Instead it has taken a business like turn. It seems we can no longer come here just to BS so to speak, now there is a lot of finger pointing, accusations, the word "rude" used often and so on. The beginning of the end for me was about a month ago there was literally a shouting match happening here, I was included where the post was locked. But since then things still seems to flare up and it is happening far to often. I think some of us and again including myself have lost track why we are here and that should be to enjoy this as a hobby and to help each other out but lately this site has been bringing the worst out in everybody.

There are many great people on this site, many of who I can now call friends. Although I'm not planning on being gone forever, my plan is to sign off until June then log in to read some post and catch up on what has been happening then decide if I want to proceed. If I find that I really don't miss it then I won't be back. Hard to say at this point. I personally just need to clear my head of so much negativity here. So much where I find myself acting the same way and that's just not me. I guess I just got caught up in it all which is one of the reasons why I decided to do what I'm doing.

I could have gone without saying anything, thought about posting it in the Soda Jerk section or writing Jim a e-mail but I have also noticed many regulars are posting less and less so I'm pretty sure I am not alone in what I'm seeing from the site which is why I decided to speak out.

Our parents always taught us if we don't like a situation to just walk away so I guess I'm walking away.....

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 01:31:29 pm »

I do feel your pain. Having been a member for more than ten years, checking the site at least had a dozen times a day there does seem to be a little bit of biting going on, myself included.

I love the diversity of this site. Its just not Soda Machines its much more than that. I've built a small collection around the advice of everyone on here.

Just stick with it.. We should all make an effort not to jump down each other's throats and go back to what it was all about a few years ago. The hunting and findings. The looking out for each other. The gratefully received advice, even if its not what you want to hear.

I belong to a few forums. This is by far the best. Lets not let it wilt.

Dave
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 01:50:03 pm »

Our parents always taught us if we don't like a situation to just walk away

Our parents told us if you can't say something nice about someone................don't say anything at all.

One bad apple can't spoil the whole barrel Ray!

Glen
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 04:36:30 pm »

I understand... I still hit this site everyday... as I love seeing what someone has found... I also enjoy seeing these machines brought back
jholmgren has some great examples of before and after, step by step restoration.. love those type of threads. It's the other threads that go
into name calling and accusing that are embarrassing to even read so I don't even comment but I hate that these threads are posted as new
members and new folks come to this site and see them. and get turned off... there are some great folks here... I have made GREAT, REAL friends
that I would have never met if it wasn't for this site. I talk with three members more than a lot of my own family members.. they are like family to me.

Maybe it's time for moderators to start handing out strikes or something... there really is no need for some of the things that are posted here.
This is a hobby, a release from stress for me, coming here and read something that makes one feel uncomfortable has no business on a
site that is based on finding, restoring and collecting soda/coin-op machines.
If a post goes starts to go South I vote pull it, or at least delete the replies that are negative... nothing worse than seeing a post where someone
finds a killer machine then by the time you've reached the last post people are mad and mud slinging.

Would love to see it get back to seeing what someone has found and be happy for that person, the before and after restorations.. Help answering
questions and learning... that's the good stuff!

I hope to see you back in June...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 10:21:46 pm by Eric » Logged

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Ben
5 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 04:44:40 pm »

I have been on this forum for about a year and the bickering seems to have only started recently. I try to look through that fog and see this site for what it is; the best place on the Internet for information and discussion about all aspects of soda machine collecting.  It is the discussion part of this site that really makes it unique.  It is obvious that members really love their hobby/job and their expertise makes it easy for a newb like me to jump in.  I've learned more on this site in one year than I ever could have getting my information from other sources.

My thought is that like any other group, association, or family there will be ups and downs. Some will act out, others will react, but in the long run the health of the group depends on the senior members, the ones who have a vision, staying with the group and keeping it on course.  so, my plea is for the experienced members to hang in there, continue to give great information, and gently guide the content in the correct direction.

OK way too touchy feely, but as others have said.. my two cents
Sarman47
25 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 04:58:16 pm »

Well said Eric.

I consider mysdelf fairly new here (joined in Nov 2013), since that time I have seen more then a few post turn into a word fight, basically over nothing important. I agree the mod's need to shut it down and in a quicker time frame.

On the positive side I have asked and recived lots of great help and advice. And I too enjoy reading about the great finds and restorations.

Hopefully Mygoose101 you will see a positive change, when you return.

Cavalier C1-55D
Cavalier C2-55E    
Westinghouse WB126-B6-D (daily driver)
Vendo 39
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 05:02:23 pm »

Regret all I can post is hope everything works out for you. A break is always good. The unread post box will be pretty full in June :-).
Creighton
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 11:02:12 pm by Creighton » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: