SMC Discussion Areas
July 01, 2024, 04:06:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chicago Show- Deal or No Deal  (Read 6055 times)
ClassicCokeLover
10 Cent Member

« on: November 25, 2013, 09:31:04 am »

It doesn't sound like too many people came back with anything special to report. Were prices "crazy dealer" prices, or was the selection just not there? Nobody is talking or posting pics of any purchases.

Glasco GBV-50 (original)
Glasco GBV-50 (restored)
Moderne Vendor 1920's Hershey Machine
5 Cent Hershey Machine NOS
Adams Gum Machine
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 09:52:54 am »

Nothing really to report..
show is always fun, but it's not like everything is at 50% off value... there is such a wide variety of things and for any new collector, you should be able to find stuff.

Myself have a pretty decent collection and only really looking for a few pieces of which I did not find this time, but will look again another show for sure.

as most of us are cut from the same cloth, it's all cool stuff to see and I'd say it's a must attend show to see it all,  but don't expect to fill up a grocery cart of deals, but you may find some.. you just never know.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 10:32:01 am »

As a first-time attendee this year, I agree with Signguy. 

Attending is a really interesting experience, but most of the folks at the show know what their items are worth.  You can get some fair prices, maybe a bargain or two but not too many real 'steals'.   

The attraction for me is twofold:   

1) I get to see a huge variety of 'stuff', much of which I've never seen in person.  You can also find assorted parts to finish off a project that might be hard to locate anywhere east of a flea market in Vegas. 

2) I get to meet folks face to face that I may otherwise only have the chance to meet virtually.

Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 10:44:06 am »

By New England pricing there were some deals, but not a ton. The Friday event was basically where the deals were, unless you were in the market for restored machines at retail type prices. The inside had a lot of sales going on, we spoke to one guy who was dropping cash inside by the bucketload. $5000 for this, $8500 for that.... Ya, not a member here!

From what I observed, there was a fair amount of selling going on by members, and not a ton of buying. One member seemed to be buying a bunch and was finding really good deals.

I got my stoner theater with gum wheel delivered to Chicago and it's headed back in a couple of weeks thanks to another member heading this way. The guy who I bought it from said he turned down an offer for $1400 more than I paid, so that tells you what type of money was flowing. Most members here would say I paid full value or too much, but add $1400 to that! Good thing I paid in advance!!

I would say that most members would rather find it in the wild instead of buying at fair market prices.

I'm hooked, I'll be back.

Tim
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 11:14:26 am »

I just returned from a two week trek which included the Chicago Show...
Unfortunately, I did not get out early to buy as I was unloading/selling several items I brought...
I did spot an early Stoner/Univendor Candy that someone purchased...
I was able to purchase an NOS Stoner "Fresh Gum" Penny Vendor in the original box w/ paperwork & mounting brackets! I'll post photos in a day or two...
I think the show was very good and prices always could be better, but those I dealt with had some wiggle room...
To sum it up, it's not a large show, but rather a condensed show of "stuff" we all look for over the course of a year or years... You just don't know what may show up and that's why it has been mentioned to attend the show!
The "SMC Get Together" Dinner is great!  Personally, I never get to talk with everyone before it's time to leave, so I hope nobody thinks I neglected to talk with them...
My only complaint for me, living in Florida, is the show is soooo far away ! ! !

My six cents,

Jim

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 11:30:21 am »

To sum it up, it's not a large show, but rather a condensed show of "stuff" we all look for over the course of a year or years...

Well stated Jim, a real swap meet with no glassware and used clothing taking up the spaces. It should actually be viewed as a mini-vacation.

Glen
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 11:34:05 am »

" You can also find assorted parts to finish off a project that might be hard to locate anywhere east of a flea market in Vegas"

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

I can never NOT laugh at a Ricks Resto jab.
Nice one.

happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 02:04:54 pm »

Well I'm going April 2015.. So it better still be going by then. And yes its going to be a "big vacation".
sc1101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 04:58:00 pm »

This was my first show and I plan on attending again. It was a great experience meeting many members and seeing some great items. Many members on here showed me the ropes and told me to be out in the parking lot at 4AM.  I wasn't sure if it was some sort of prank or hazing for first timer's. laugh Even though I was skeptical I still took there advice and was out there at 4AM. Getting up at 4 AM to go shopping seemed like only something my wife would do but there I was up at 4. To my surprise there were tons of people out doing the same thing. The parking lot was stuffed with many unique vendors. It was a tuff call wether or not to pull the trigger on a few items I saw. I didn't want to blow the whole wad in the first hour but the regulars said if you like it buy it because you may not have a second chance. I partially took there advice and picked up a 1930 Coca Cola dispenser but passed on an Ajax Nut Machine I wasn't sure about.  I later regretted not buying it when I found out it was gone. Fortunately I ended up finding a restored one inside later that day and purchased it. I think it's a unique show unlike others I've been to. It cuts out the countless hours of going through vendors with nothing but old furniture, China and silverware. Even though I didn't find my Mills 45 it was a great time. Thanks to all the members that helped make this a great experience. The only regret I have is not making it to see Larry's collection and being able to play all those games. The picture below is the style of dispenser I bought and the Ajax nut machine actual picture.

Siphonmix 5A
Jacobs 56
Surevend P47
Mills 45,47N,65
La Crosse 56
Glascock Countertop
ICY-O Cntrtp Cooler restored
ICY-O 120
Liquid Carbonic Back Bar
1890 Fletcher, 1940 Fischman Fountains
A-8, A-12 Industrial Carton Cooler
Holcomb+Hoke Popcorn
Mengel Wood Cooler
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 08:16:02 am »

Just following up with a few photos of the NOS Stoner "Fresh Gum" Vendor...
Interestingly, this machine was brought to my attention by a "passer-by" and upon further investigation, they rest is history!

My six cents,

Jim

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: