SMC Discussion Areas
June 03, 2024, 02:07:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Musical Pepsi Cooler and a good story  (Read 9509 times)
BeaYoung
Soda Jerks

« on: October 20, 2013, 03:50:38 pm »

I've been meaning to post some pictures of this cooler since we got it this spring but first a little history. I hope not to bore you too much!

I grew up in a little town outside of Winnipeg, Canada where my grandparents had a small neighborhood store. In the very center of this store was a musical Pepsi cooler. When you opened the lid, it played, "Pepsi-cola hits the spot." Time passed, the store was closed, my grandparents passed and no one knew whatever happened to the musical Pepsi cooler. I've lived in the Wisconsin for a long time and over the years I've looked for the cooler and because it was a "Canada only" cooler, no one in the USA had ever heard of it.

About a year ago at the Chicago show, I ended up sitting next across from George and Shane from George's Custom Paint & Nostalgic Station, fellow Canadians. I happened to mention to them the story and the hunt for the cooler. Imagine my surprise when George told me that someone had contacted him about a musical Pepsi cooler.  wow George had kept the contact information from the gentleman. When we called, the seller still had the cooler and we were able to buy it! It is same make and model as the one in that small country store I grew up with and the music box still works! Greg, the gentleman I bought the cooler from had bought it 30+ years ago and had kept it in a nice clean garage.

So a BIG THANKS to George and Shane for making that connection! Here are a few shots of the cooler. It's a Frigidaire with original paint and embossed sides. Even the graphics on the lid are original.  If someone can tell me how to post files with sound, I'll post the jingle it plays too.

B.
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 04:17:03 pm »

That's really cool.  I never heard of a singing Pepsi machine.  I would like to hear that song when you figure it out.

A lot of stuff.
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 05:13:54 pm »

Great story and find... there is also a small Pepsi dispenser that plays the jingle....
that looks like a nice cooler.... Leaving it as is?

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
GreenMo
25 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 05:20:34 pm »

who'd  a  thunk it?
HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 05:35:16 pm »

A music box cooler; very cool. Thanks for sharing

I dreamed I had a good job and I got well paid.
I blew it all at the penny arcade.

-Eric Clapton & B.B. King
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 05:45:40 pm »

Great story!!!
Is there any chance that this might be the exact same cooler?

happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 05:50:22 pm »

Outstanding!! Thanks for the story.
Creighton
sc1101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 05:51:41 pm »

That is cool. I saw someone last year posted a picture of a musical cooler just like that one on the Pepsi collectors page. Wonder if its the same one. Great story

Siphonmix 5A
Jacobs 56
Surevend P47
Mills 45,47N,65
La Crosse 56
Glascock Countertop
ICY-O Cntrtp Cooler restored
ICY-O 120
Liquid Carbonic Back Bar
1890 Fletcher, 1940 Fischman Fountains
A-8, A-12 Industrial Carton Cooler
Holcomb+Hoke Popcorn
Mengel Wood Cooler
kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 06:09:02 pm »

Great story, glad you were able to find one. I saw the dispenser that plays the jingle but didn't know there was a cooler that it.

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
Ideal 55 Hires root beer, 7-Up restored
Ideal 55 Pepsi, Barqs original
Double cola,Squirt,Nesbitts,Canada Dry on deck
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
BeaYoung
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 06:44:54 pm »

Here is a youtube link to the chimes playing. It is only audio- we couldn't figure out how to get close enough with the camera to capture the chimes loud enough and also the machine.
You may have to turn the speakers up a bit.  Hopefully it works!

http://youtu.be/IwQ5RZjpFl0

I don't think that it's the same cooler. Greg, the gent I bought it from, found this one in Vancouver BC 30+ years ago, and I had followed the trial on my grandparents cooler to someone who had it as recently as 6-8 years ago in the Winnipeg area.

My mom is 75 years old and had a lot more history with the cooler and the Country Store than I did- when we finally got the cooler home and got it in the rec room, I think she had a tear or two when she first heard it. It just brought back so many memories for everyone. Too bad there are no photos of the little store or the Pepsi machine in it. I do remember the visable gas pump in front of the store.  Cool

Neat to think that there may be another one in the world! I wonder how to find out more about the one shown on the Pepsi site/group?

B.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: