SMC Discussion Areas
July 07, 2024, 02:07:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FALL HERSHEY SWAP MEET  (Read 5825 times)
georgescustompaint
Soda Jerks

« on: September 19, 2013, 08:28:35 pm »

Hey Everyone,

I am toying with the idea of heading to the Fall Hershey Show in Oct.
I have never been to it, and I hear it is mostly automotive, but just wondered if you guys could shed some light as to how much coin op/Gas Staion/Gas Pump/ Advertising would be expected?

I also was wondering the best place to stay hotel wise, and also any parking/show tips from the Hershey Vets out there....

Is the show even worth going to if I have no intention of buying car parts?

Thanks!!! Shane

jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 08:37:44 pm »

Hi Shane,
I've been going for years.  I live about 45 minutes from Hershey.  It is a huge show.  Obviously a lot of car stuff, but a fairly decent amount of gas pumps, old signs, etc.  Last year I saw maybe 5-10 booths with coin-op.  Curtis (Memory Lane Restorations) was there last year with a decent size tent.  I stopped by, but he was out and about.  If you are selling, I think the prices were pretty steep - so you might make out well.  Smiley

There should be a lot of places to stay in the area, but the show is sooo large that you might need to stay outside of the town of Hershey.  I usually just park in the regular parking lot (fields across from the parking lot), maybe Curtis or someone else from outside the area can offer some advice. 

If you go - let me know, I always look forward to a chance to meet any members of this board!

Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
jbrooks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 07:53:11 pm »

it is an amazing show, there is soooo much there you will see everything but as Jim said the prices tend to be really high.  From what I've heard there are big spenders from all around the world dropping big money there.
georgescustompaint
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 09:27:03 pm »

Thanks for the tops guys..... If I end up making my way down there I will let you know.  Cheers, Shane

georgescustompaint
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 05:44:19 pm »

so I think I am going to go.... How many 2 days would it take me to walk around and see everything? I don't really wanna spend time looking at cars, will be scanning for coin op and gas pumps..... 2 days be enough?
Is most people open wed? i was thinking i would walk around wed and Thursday....

jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 07:02:26 pm »

so I think I am going to go.... How many 2 days would it take me to walk around and see everything? I don't really wanna spend time looking at cars, will be scanning for coin op and gas pumps..... 2 days be enough?
Is most people open wed? i was thinking i would walk around wed and Thursday....

I would say 2 days is adequate.  I usually go on Friday morning, and its a very full day of hiking the field to cover it.  I don't get the sense that it is like the Chicago coin-op show where you have to be out and about at 4:30 a.m. picking through trailers for bargains.

I just had knee surgery on Friday, so I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to go this year but I'm going to give it a shot.

Jim

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
georgescustompaint
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 03:32:52 pm »

Thanks for all the info Jim.  Hope the knee is ok too.
Keep me posted if u decide to go. maybe we can grab a cold one at the beer tent.

jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 04:03:30 pm »

Thanks Shane, I'll let you know.  If I go, it will be on Friday.

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 02:33:42 pm »

Hey guys,
Sad to say, I'm not going to make it this year.  My knee is doing way better, but Hershey is a lot of walking that I don't think I'm quite ready to tackle.

Shane - if you happen to see this, could you PM me your cell phone?  I met Jim (owner/operator of SMC.com) today at my house and he mentioned he's going to be stopping by Hershey - I'm sure he'd like to catch up with you.  I can text him your cell number if that's OK with you and maybe you guys can hook up?   

Jim

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
georgescustompaint
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 04:24:04 pm »

Better to play it safe with your knee for sure.
Sad to say -  I didn't make it either!!! Got way too busy in the shop, and behind, so I made the deceision to stay here in Canada this week Sad

Jim called me, he is headed there tomorrow. Hopefully he finds a nice machine or too!

Cheers,  Shane

jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 05:11:17 pm »

Well I guess now I don't feel "quite" so bad about not making it this year.   smile

There were a couple of other folks I was hoping to say howdy to, but I'll have to send my apologies and promises that I'll do my best to be there next year.

Jim

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 10:00:20 am »

Well, unless you had the opportunity to get to Hershey on Wed., then you didn't miss much...
The weather was terrible! I actually left early; around 3:30 wed
So much stuff was covered; it was difficult to see anything!
I did find a model 38 St. Louis cash register, commonly called "cheese cutter"

On another note, I want to Thank Jim for the hospitality while I stopped for a quick visit!

My six cents,

Jim

georgescustompaint
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 03:50:03 pm »

Sorry to hear the weather was crappy...

memorylane
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 04:24:40 pm »

First time in 5 years of not setting up at Hershey and THANK GOD I DIDN"T Wed was a great day for hunting, got what I came for and was home before the rain set in, I think they got close to 8" of rain. a ton of people were leaving Wed. night because of the 100% chance of rain Thurs & Fri, Sat is the car show, 80% vendors are packed and headed out by noon. Not the best year for Hershey but theres always next year Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: