SMC Discussion Areas
July 01, 2024, 11:45:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back from an auction - empty  (Read 11634 times)
Sodak Bob
25 Cent Member

« on: September 07, 2013, 04:05:53 pm »

I was just at a local auction that had a pretty nice 81A. (sorry - no pic)  Good body and complete but needed some things. The mech was sticky and the linkage did not work. The drain tube had rusted out and the floor was week - and I had no idea if it ran or cooled. That was at quick blance but  I was prepared to give it a look at the $800 to $1200 range. I never even got my hands out of my pockets.  $2,350 - what are people thinking.  I did the only reasonable thing - approached the second place bidder and offered him one of mine.  He's thinking about it... 

Bob
rayg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 04:31:11 pm »

$2,350  Wow the economy must be getting better!

1954 Stoner Senior
1964 United Orbit shuffle bowler   
1973 Cavalier USS-96
1976 Atari Night Driver
1979 Space Invaders Deluxe
1980 Centipede Cabaret (60in1)
1984 Williams Laser Cue Pinball
1993 IGT Wild Cherry Slot
1996 Police Trainer
2016 Visual Pinball Machine
Member : Michigan Mafia
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 04:32:56 pm »

Or people more naive

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 04:58:36 pm »

Or people more naive
I'm with Jim...

My six cents,

Jim

coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 05:38:39 pm »

Coca Cola Vendo 81B local auction house last year. Amateur outside paint job, hand decals on sides, sprite boy on the front. Ten front of the bottle stack spray painted white rollers and stack shelves had bad overspray. Cooling unit was untouched not even cleaned dirt was 1 inch thick in the bottom. Hammer down price $2,750. The local idiot that bought it raved about his $7,000 coke machine. It took him a year to sell it but somebody from TX bought it for $4,500.00 and had it shipped to TX. Machine was a $1,500 machine tops!

Joey

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 05:55:04 pm »

sometimes people get caught up at an auction setting..... "just 50 bucks more" or they don't want to lose to the a hole that cut them off on the way there.....
Don't forget the phantom fake bidders who up the prices on people who really WANT the item, and they know who those people are.

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 08:01:11 pm »

I'll say it like I've said it before... It's almost like these things are worth money!!

There is a big difference between waiting and searching for them like we all do, and buying the only one in front of you when you want one because you know you won't see another one for years.

I'm sure if they are paying $2350, then that's like you buying your morning coffee. (Which my father also complains about it costing too much!!)

Tim
zadd
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 08:35:00 am »

I picked up a slider the other day and while I was there the guy asked me if I wanted to see his new machine he bought . It was a Vendo 81 b ... It had an amateur paint job and spray canned insides and new chrome . The guy said he got it at half price and got a great deal at 3k  Oo the seller was asking 6k . So the guy thought he did some great negotiating . laugh

Zadd
Dr Pepper Queen Anne Bottle Machine
Dr Pepper Queen Anne Can Machine
7up Ideal 55 slider
Vendo 81D
VMC 33D
Nehi Pelco Koolie
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 04:53:45 pm »

I admit I've gotten caught up in bidding, in real time, and Ebay auctions. But people aren't doing proper research. they hear number on a reality show, and by golly it must be true. Or search on V81  on Ebay, and see  some eye popping numbers, not bids, but what the seller wants.
There are so many different and more accurate ways to research market conditions than back in the say when I saw my first restored V39. In the early 80's, it was prolly a steal for the asking price of $1500.  today, if I saw that same machine, I'd  know what shoddy work the "professionally restored" shop does, and I'd be more about the body work, over spray, incorrect parts and less on the bling.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 05:17:33 pm »

I admit I've gotten caught up in bidding, in real time, and Ebay auctions. But people aren't doing proper research. they hear number on a reality show, and by golly it must be true. Or search on V81  on Ebay, and see  some eye popping numbers, not bids, but what the seller wants.
There are so many different and more accurate ways to research market conditions than back in the say when I saw my first restored V39. In the early 80's, it was prolly a steal for the asking price of $1500.  today, if I saw that same machine, I'd  know what shoddy work the "professionally restored" shop does, and I'd be more about the body work, over spray, incorrect parts and less on the bling.

Not trying to stir up crap but I have a question for you. People not doing their research? Where is research done on this subject of mid century coke machines values? And where would you expect 90% of the buyers out there that likely do no research?

Ok, would you recommend the restorers out there that sell at the coin op show? I haven't been, but I'm looking to go there. But from what I hear the majority of the machines there are what, $6000, $7000, $8000? so I'm not looking to buy anything. What is the average asking price of a restored Vendo 81 inside on Saturday at the coin op show?

I would think of antique shops, specialty shops, Internet, eBay, and auction records. I wouldn't really think to recommend a discussion board where nobody will say what they sell them for, but everyone complains about what they are actually selling for. 

This is the wholesale market and prices here guys. If you were given 7 days to replace your machine and have it at your house, that is the retail market. Available to buy now... RETAIL! Not when you have 8 months to surf Craig's List waiting for a deal under the radar.

Tim
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: