SMC Discussion Areas
October 06, 2024, 04:21:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speaker pole  (Read 17311 times)
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 05:13:58 pm »

Those are some really nice looking bases but I kind of really want the disc blade. Was even thinking of possibly getting one of the notched ones and putting some lighting under that too. Just need to call some case and john deere dealers because I learned tractor supply orders theirs online and has them shipped to their store.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2013, 10:47:10 am »

Got the disc blades! Were kind of expensive since I had to go to a John Deere dealer (although they were cheaper than the ones tractor supply was going to order for me). Like these ones much better than the other ones because these are kind of domed instead of being flat like the other ones I had were. Got some new pipe couplings and once I get those ready I should have two new bases made and one extra one for my parking meter. Too bad I can't find a source to get a ton of these for a low price and then I could make up a bunch of these for my candy machines and anything else that requires a pole mount.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2013, 08:37:41 pm »

Base after I welded the pipe fitting onto the disc blade

Base after painting it

Base with pole installed (actually went as far as taking a cheap paint brush and painting the pole with that so I could get the brush strokes like the poles at the drive-in have. Probably going a little too far on authenticity but whatever)

scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2013, 08:43:31 pm »

Also I DID NOT paint the pole with the junction box on it. That paint on the bottom of the box is from when the drive-in painted the poles and what I used to match the paint color (turns out rustoleum "aluminum" paint was a dead on match and may be the exact thing they used). With these drive-in speakers I prefer to leave them as they are when I get them with all the dirt, scratches and rust. Only thing I did replace was the speakers inside and the cords just to make them functional. Kind of feel that if I restored them I would be taking away some of their history.
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2013, 08:47:41 pm »

Wow, that came out great!  I like the idea of the disk harrow blade, are they heavy?  I have been looking for something similar for a lighting idea, and I think they would work out.

Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2013, 08:48:30 pm »

Very nice.... good work and great idea.  happydrinkers

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2013, 08:50:36 pm »

Question those blades aren't sharp are they? .. they are used to just till the ground right... looks like the edges are
turned under... again great idea... what made you think of those?

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2013, 08:55:17 pm »

Wow, that came out great!  I like the idea of the disk harrow blade, are they heavy?  I have been looking for something similar for a lighting idea, and I think they would work out.

Thanks! They are pretty heavy. These ones are about 18 inches in diameter and I have not weighed them but I would guess they are about 10-15 pounds.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2013, 08:55:29 pm »

Very nice.... good work and great idea.  happydrinkers

Thank you!
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2013, 09:01:24 pm »

Question those blades aren't sharp are they? .. they are used to just till the ground right... looks like the edges are
turned under... again great idea... what made you think of those?

They are kind of sharp. Not like a razor blade but they will cut you if you run your hand across the edge. Actually one of the reasons I had to remake the bases because the gas station that welded the first ones welded one disk on upside down (they were flat ones not curved like these ones) and I could just see myself walking up to them at night or in the house barefoot and cutting my toe on them.

I got the idea for using the disc blades a few years ago when I contacted my teacher asking if he knew of anyone who could make a stand for me. He ended up having me call up a guy he knew and he suggested using one of those discs. He was also going to make them for me too but I ended up having a hard time finding them and it took a few years to find some discs I could afford so I ended up having to make them myself.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: