SMC Discussion Areas
October 05, 2024, 05:42:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Craigslist Scammer  (Read 6350 times)
ClassicCokeLover
10 Cent Member

« on: May 29, 2013, 10:16:17 pm »

I got two text messages recently for a machine I have on Craigslist. The text message was, "Do you still have it? I would be glad to pay for it as soon as possible though I will not be available to come for an inspection due to my flexible schedule. Kindly get back to me with the following questions below: 1) Are you the owner? 2) Your pick up location? 3) Your full name and your Paypal email ID for the instant payment. I would be glad to make the payment immediately through Paypal so kindly get back to."
I responded by asking for his name and address and I will have someone receive your payment, then we can arrange for delivery.
The text message came from 561-320-3758. BEWARE!!!

I never got a response.

Glasco GBV-50 (original)
Glasco GBV-50 (restored)
Moderne Vendor 1920's Hershey Machine
5 Cent Hershey Machine NOS
Adams Gum Machine
Kaleid20
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 10:20:38 pm »

Yep, pretty standard. They ALWAYS ask "Do you still have it?". I posted a machine once and got a scammer hit within 1 hour asking me if I still had it.

Vendo 81D, 56, 44, 23 standard
Westy WE-6, WD-5, WH-5T
Cavalier 51, 72, C-12
Victor C-18
Dr Pepper Vendo 90
Dole Super Dispenser
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 06:08:14 am »

Interestingly, the "561" area code is from Palm Beach County, FL...
I may call the number and inquire about some collectibles they have for sale...

My six cents,

Jim

SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 08:23:20 am »

I get those all the time too..

THOSE ,, I do not fall for... however can't say that for this other fellow.. (other post)

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 12:30:26 pm »

When I sell on CL it is local pick-up with cash on the barrel head!  The only exception is if I am working with an SMC member who I know.  Every time I list I get the scammers within an hour or two as well.  If you don't respond to me with a phone number, you will not hear back from me.

The damn CL scammers work both sides of the deal.  Just try to shop for a used car on CL.  If the price looks too good to be true--it is usually a scam--where they had to move so the car is no longer local and they will ship the car to you in a container (probably with a s%#$load of packing material to boot!), blah, blah, blah.  I got pretty good at spotting those by looking more closely at the pictures.  Most of them have palm trees or other types of trees not native to Michigan in the background--a pretty good tip off!

CL is still a good local vehicle to buy and sell it just takes a little more work thanks to the idiots out there!

drinking Tim drinking
HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 12:42:48 pm »

If I sell something on CL, I dont put my number in the add so I only have to deal with one type of spam.  Here is one I got today:

Good morning and how are you doing, I'm agent for  Adobe Systems Incorporated ., I would like you to get back to me with your Direct Email address to contact you so I could forward it to my clients in purchase of the merchandise from you.

Response back asap.

I dreamed I had a good job and I got well paid.
I blew it all at the penny arcade.

-Eric Clapton & B.B. King
cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 12:57:42 pm »

That's why I hate Craig's List. We had a local older man murdered a few years back from a person answering a Craigs List add.   They shot the guy and stole his money.  I know Ebay gets a lot of bad press on here, but I consider it the best way to buy and sell. Lots of crimes are committed thru Craigs List.  Just my two cents. The few times I have used Craigs List I was also immediately hit up by scammers.

Greg
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 01:52:03 pm »

Major news where I live is a couple of weeks ago, a guy listed his pick up on kijiji  (a form of CL) and 2 guys came for a test drive... and they nor the truck returned.  They found the owners body burnt in the field that is owned by the guy who came looking for the truck.

It's a twisted story, but major news here in Southern Ontario.

It's a shame too with these CL ads, because many times I reply to ads of all types after the ad is up for say a week, and I flat out ask "is the item still for sale?"  I am by no means a scammer of any kind, but I guess one rotten apple ruins the bushel.

I almost fell for a CL scam before I even bought my fist machine.  It was a 81, out on the west coast... and he was "away" in Italy, and I just had to western union the cash, and he would ship the item.  He even gave a shipping company with a tracking number etc.... it was WALMART shipping... I thought huh?  So I googled the guys name... and sure enough... there were people out there who got scammed by that name.... I mean, he does this scam, and doesn't even change his name!

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 03:48:14 pm »

These scammers make it so hard for honest people. The other day I located something I was interested in, a type of synthesizer, but it was way too far away to travel. I e-mailed and asked the seller if they would ship the item if I were to buy it. I never heard back. Maybe they sold it, but perhaps they thought I was a scammer and ignored me. I was seriously interested in the item, though.

Thanks alot, scammers  veryangry .

Another gripe- Craigslist says always beware of money orders and cashier's checks. I totally understand why, but scammers will target PayPal users too. They don't mention that however. I wonder it it's partially because eBay owns both Craiglist and PayPal.
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 04:08:12 pm »

Another gripe- Craigslist says always beware of money orders and cashier's checks. I totally understand why, but scammers will target PayPal users too. They don't mention that however. I wonder it it's partially because eBay owns both Craiglist and PayPal.

Not entirely correct.  eBay owns a 25% stake in Craigslist, they do not own it outright.  Craig Newmark still owns the majority share of Craigslist.

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: