SMC Discussion Areas
June 30, 2024, 01:51:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideal 55 scuff plate replacement  (Read 2104 times)
Norrisk66

« on: January 28, 2013, 04:45:38 pm »

Has anyone replaced the polished scuff plate on the top front of these machines?
Is it pinch welded to the front panel? I am wondering if I should replace it with the piece from funtronics while I have everything apart.

Thanks in advance!
mack65az
5 Cent Member

Collecting Ideal Sliders

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 05:24:07 pm »

The piece from fun-tronics is designed to simply ft over the top of the existing stainless piece. It does require a little persuasion to get it to fit right, but if you're patient, it comes out nice and in most cases is not noticeable. The right way to do it would be to drill out the spot welds, have a new piece formed and welded in, but it's a little cost prohibitive. Just depends on how much of a purist you are with your restoration.
sliderchris

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 11:44:57 pm »

It seems that there are two ways this scuff plate was attached to these machines.

On my Squirt slider,it was held in at the top by the same screws that hold the lid gasket/breaker strips in.
The lower edge was held by the 'half round' trim piece(this has screws protruding into the body that accept nuts accessible
once the inside tank is removed).So when I restored my machine,I was able to fabricate
a new scuff plate (from polished stainless) and also made a new trim strip that I could attach like the factory did.

My other slider (a 7-up) has the spot welded in variety.Fortunately, this was in very nice shape and didn't need replacing,
just a good polishing.
So, depending on what kind you have, replacing it could be a real pain or not too bad.
Hope this helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: