SMC Discussion Areas
July 06, 2024, 12:19:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Removing the compressor from a Westinghouse WB-78  (Read 8090 times)
jbachman2
5 Cent Member

« on: January 07, 2013, 12:01:01 pm »

My Westinghouse WB-78 has developed a rattle from the condenser fan when the compressor kicks on.  I want to replace the motor and possibly the fan but it looks like the only way to do so is to bring the whole compressor / condenser assembly out of the machine.  Is there enough play built into the coolant lines to do this or do I need to have the coolant evacuated from the machine so that the copper lines can be cut and the unit brought out?  I've looked in manual for this machine but I swear, it covers everything except getting the compressor out of the machine.

Also, if anyone has ordered the replacement condenser motor and fan from Funtronics or Sodajerk Works I would appreciate knowing what part numbers you used.

Thanks,

-Jim

My Machines:

Ideal 55 Slider
Westinghouse WB-78-66-D
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 01:33:57 pm »

I have never owned a 78 but you will be able to slide the bottle stack out in order to remove the cooling unit without breaking open the system.

Glen
krovel
5 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 02:07:25 pm »

Ok total newbie here, so this might not be the best way but its just what I did. I had to change the motors on the condenser and evaporator on my wb 60 and my 102. I removed the stacks and the vend assembly. I know it sounds like a lot of work but it makes removing the compressor and working on it so much easier. At least for me.

If you take it out you might as well replace both motors, they aren't to expensive, I got mine from grainger for 30-35 dollars I believe.

Good luck

Westinghouse WB-60 (single select)
Westinghouse WB102
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 02:24:48 pm »

I believe that you can leave the stack in there, and just remove the vend assembly on a 78, you'll have to take out the bottle guides or can spacers first though.  I'll have to look back through the photos of the one I owned to see if that's the way it works.

kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 03:43:33 pm »

Your right TKAZ, if you pull the spacers the vend assy. will come out without taking the stack out. You still have to remove the delivery chute,vend motor and disconnect the empty (sold out) switch. Remove the two bolts that hold the assy. and it should slide out. Remove the two screw's on the evaporator assy. (slotted screwdriver or 5/16 nut driver) remove the two bolts holding the condensing unit and slide it out until you have access to change the motor.

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
Ideal 55 Hires root beer, 7-Up restored
Ideal 55 Pepsi, Barqs original
Double cola,Squirt,Nesbitts,Canada Dry on deck
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
jbachman2
5 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 04:49:56 pm »

To quote A Christmas Story "Fuuuudddddgggge"

My Machines:

Ideal 55 Slider
Westinghouse WB-78-66-D
kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 05:02:43 pm »

Sounds worse than it really is.

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
Ideal 55 Hires root beer, 7-Up restored
Ideal 55 Pepsi, Barqs original
Double cola,Squirt,Nesbitts,Canada Dry on deck
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 07:39:49 pm »

Actually, it's a pain is the A$$, if you even just look at the suction line funny were it enters the evaporator, it will break, so Don't twist on the big copper receiver on the right side of the evap' coils or try to use it as a handle...it will break ( it's a weak point on this series of Westinghouse select-a-matic models)

I just replace an evaporator fan motor yesterday on a WD78...fun fun fun... laugh But I didn't have to pull the stack, just the delivery chute, vending motor & its link. interesting though, this one already had a modified Dayton gear motor replacing the OEM unit (Merkle-Korff), it ran a lower RPM, but it bolts right in & it gets the job done, the shaft had an adapter for the shaft diameter vs the cam & split-ring pin. I jotted down the model number & made some notes.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 09:27:31 pm by johnieG » Logged

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
jbachman2
5 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 11:26:51 am »

Actually, it's a pain is the A$$, if you even just look at the suction line funny were it enters the evaporator, it will break, so Don't twist on the big copper receiver on the right side of the evap' coils or try to use it as a handle...it will break ( it's a weak point on this series of Westinghouse select-a-matic models)

I just replace an evaporator fan motor yesterday on a WD78...fun fun fun... laugh But I didn't have to pull the stack, just the delivery chute, vending motor & its link. interesting though, this one already had a modified Dayton gear motor replacing the OEM unit (Merkle-Korff), it ran a lower RPM, but it bolts right in & it gets the job done, the shaft had an adapter for the shaft diameter vs the cam & split-ring pin. I jotted down the model number & made some notes.

I'd appreciate any model numbers you have, especially if they are direct bolt in.

My Machines:

Ideal 55 Slider
Westinghouse WB-78-66-D
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 12:13:47 pm »

I'd appreciate any model numbers you have, especially if they are direct bolt in.

Yes, you & the dozen or more people who PM'd me  laugh

Once I gather up some parts & do a test-fitting, I'll be happy to post a reply.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: