SMC Discussion Areas
September 28, 2024, 06:31:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unrelated but looking for opinions on Technology, Ipad,Nexus 7, Kindle Fire etc.  (Read 8133 times)
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« on: October 23, 2012, 02:15:10 pm »

Ok we obviously all use technology to show off our collections, find information, and of course visit SMC.

what are you guys using and why... I'm tossing around getting a tablet and with the new announcment today of the Ipad Mini on the market the choices are just too many..

Looking for opinions on Ipad, Ipad mini, Nexus 7, Kindle Fire, Microsoft Surface....

First option I like is Apple as I have an iphone.. but the Safari Browser doesn't support any of my "Day Job" websites that I need to access..
do do the others offer a browser that is more Microsoft friendly or Internet explorer compatible.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 02:32:28 pm »

Wait on the Microsoft Surface until the bugs are worked out. I never buy bleeding edge technology.
I love my kindle fire, but more as a reader than as a replacement for my laptop.

Heard good stugff on the Nexus 7, haven't tried it myself. i the ipad is nice, but you can get the same features for a lot less with a tablet.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 02:47:21 pm »

I've been in IT for over 20 years, almost exclusively Microsoft.  I've been a MCSE for for 14 years and even today's day job is IT Director for a 100% Microsoft shop.  My Windows knowledge and experience has paid for a lot of my Coke machines.   laugh
I have had various flavors of Blackberry, Windows and Android devices over the years.  I finally broke down and got an iPhone about a year ago.  I am clearly no Apple fanboi but I can, without reservation, say it is the best mobile device I have used.

Tablet-wise, I received an iPad for my anniversary last year, and I am very pleased with it.  My suggestion would be the iPad, or "maybe" the Microsoft tablet if it is running Windows 8.  We have about 2,000 Windows 7 Tablets in the field here are work and they have been very solid with the bonus that IE is still pretty much the default browser for most 'work' websites - like Outlook Web Access, SharePoint, etc.  

Personally - I would not go down the road of the Android-based tablets.  I've been very disappointed in the performance and stability of the 'droid devices I have used, particularly when compared to the iPad/iPhone.   Personally I don't see the benefit of the Android over the two other options from Apple or Microsoft.

That is a lot of words for .02  drinking

Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
ld26
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 07:33:46 pm »

Hi,

I'm definitely not a cutting edge tech expert but I work on a computer all day.  I own a kindle fire and find its great for quick browsing and reading.  Anything other than that is definitely tedious.  I think it really depends on what you are gonna use the device for.  If you just need something to browse around I think these tablets are great.  For any real work or serious typing or browsing you still need a netbook laptop or desktop.  (but you probably already know this)...

I love quikold coolers
www.quikold.com
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 12:44:53 am »

I like my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.  It works well fro browsing and I have used it for work as well because it ic compatible with the MS applications.  Not as many aps available but I did not buy it for that.  I use it to browse CL and EBay while watching TV all the time and it works great.  I believe the price points on the Samsung are a little easire on the pocketbook than the IPad.

drinking Tim drinking
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 02:40:36 am »

Linda likes her Ipad. It's very nice if there is a good wifi connection. Useless brick if not.
As stated depends what you want the device to do. If you just need a reader the Kindle is great.
Creighton
Bigfoot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 08:22:21 am »

I went from a PC to all Apple products about 5 years ago.
I'm not sure why your day job sites would be an issue with the Apple operating system.
I would think you should go to the Apple Store and hold an iPad or iPad mini with a tech and log on to all the sites you visit.
Then buy the one you prefer.
I'm sure you will be able to get there with the Tech.

Just my 2 cents
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 08:27:42 am »

I went from a PC to all Apple products about 5 years ago.
I'm not sure why your day job sites would be an issue with the Apple operating system.
I would think you should go to the Apple Store and hold an iPad or iPad mini with a tech and log on to all the sites you visit.
Then buy the one you prefer.
I'm sure you will be able to get there with the Tech.

Just my 2 cents

yes my thoughts to.. but my local Apple store is 2.5 hours away... and lets just say the local Walmart "Tech Experts" have been no help..

The problem I'm finding with the Ipad is that the Safari Browser is not compatible with many of the Sites I need to use for work.. I sell insurance and would like a device that I could take out on a client meeting and make adjustments on their Rating software I use at my Desk... so far it's been tough to get it all to work.

I konw the obvious answer is just to buy a laptop or netbook, but wanted more portablility that you get in the Tablet...

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Chris
25 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 09:04:49 am »

I love my iPad. I have unlimited data on my iPhone and it's jailbroken so I can teather the iPad to it and use the unlimited data instead of the iPad data. I like the versatility that the iPad has and it's ease of use. I have a friend that has the Galaxy and it just seems to clustered and harder to use. Just my two cents.

Chris

Vendo 23A
Vendo 80(Red/White Original)
Vendo 80(All Red Original)
Seeburg JL (Original)
Watling Penny Scale (Restored)
Stoner Jr
Stoner 180
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 09:50:18 am »

yes my thoughts to.. but my local Apple store is 2.5 hours away... and lets just say the local Walmart "Tech Experts" have been no help..

The problem I'm finding with the Ipad is that the Safari Browser is not compatible with many of the Sites I need to use for work.. I sell insurance and would like a device that I could take out on a client meeting and make adjustments on their Rating software I use at my Desk... so far it's been tough to get it all to work.

I konw the obvious answer is just to buy a laptop or netbook, but wanted more portablility that you get in the Tablet...

As browsers go, Safari is ... unfortunate.   You might want to look into the Samsung Slate.  It is a Windows 7 (soon Cool tablet, we have a bunch of them in the field for our Practitioners and they work pretty darn well.

Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: