SMC Discussion Areas
June 22, 2024, 08:30:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GForce Automobile ECU reprogram chips.  (Read 2737 times)
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« on: September 10, 2012, 11:05:46 pm »

Anyone know if they are worth a darn or just a scam? I would be happy with half of the claimed increase. 
http://www.gfchips.com/fordescape.aspx
Thanks!!
Creighton
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 01:03:54 am »

I haven't really heard of GForce chips, but some quick research shows they aren't what they promise.  Going on my two minute Google Genius, not many people are happy with the reported 60+HP and you might be better off sticking with the other more tested tuners, like Bully-Dog.

jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 07:09:57 am »

I agree with Tkaz, if you are going to do it, stick with a well-known company. 

I have a Dinan-tuned BMW 525i that has their "Stage 1" engine tune chip in it.  It changes the rev limiter, removes the speed govenor, improves throttle response and a few other things. On a 2.5L straight-6, I gain about 5 HP and 6 lb-ft of torque fro mthe chip.   

+60HP?...I doubt it very much.  I can't see a modern car manufacturer de-tuning their car that much, particularly an American car that is already built for the US market.  Maybe if you are importing something from Europe and the manufacturer de-tunes it to meet US (esp. California) emissions specs.  If it already has a huge engine in it (5.0L or bigger) you might be able to recover something near that in HP but you are going to seriously shorten your engine life.  On a car with only about 100hp under the hood to begin with... no way.

If it sounds to good to be true....

Just my amateur gear-head .02

Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
briandr1
25 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 01:41:17 pm »

I dont believe any chip will gain 60 h.p. no way

selectivend 64 sa
2 cavalier 96
1975 bally hi deal em pinball machine
1920 wate and fate penny  scale
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 04:34:51 am »

Thanks Guys!!

Pretty much what I figured. The Google Genius is cool. Knew not of such thing.

Further research in order. Mainly just looking for a tad more giddy-up when pulling the camper. Kinda of embarrassing getting passed by semi's/RV's on 6 percent grades.

Wish I could just get a 63 Merc wagon toss a crate motor in and head off into the sunset.

A buddy in CA. had a 525i. It was the preferred car for jaunts over to the coast. Handles great on twisties. Don't think it had any mods. Great car.

If I get a chance will give Gforce a call and see what if anything they know.

Creighton
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 09:17:54 am »

That is a pretty big expectation of 60 HP, 4-7 MPG, 30 pounds of torque.  possible, but not all at the same time.

I bought the Superchip program for my Jeep 4 door and there was a huge difference with the different tuning. There are several different programs and you can't use them all at once. The biggest thing to remember that you will have to chose 1 of the programs that you want. I can say it could be possible to gain up to 60 hp if they tune the crap out of it, but it will be the highest possible setting and you will have to use premium fuel at $5 or more a gallon, if not 103 octane fuel which is hard to find at the pump.  (although I know a couple of places in my area that have it) You will likely see a huge drop in mileage, up to half of what you are getting now. It also might not be recommended for regular use and say track only so you don't burn it up.

There is a gas saver program that I have used, but it does turn it into a dog and I lose a lot of power over stock. it is very noticeable and I do not recommend trying to pass a Prius if you use that one.   I hooked up my empty trailer and towed it across town for a friend to use, and I used a TON of gas. It does warn you not to tow with this one, but I didn't know that even meant an empty trailer with no weight.

As far as torque, it has a tow program. I have not actually tried this one, I usually have just the minor tune in it so I can still run regular 89 in it and it is a lot peppier and I still get about 17-18 MPG.

The thing to remember about advertising is remember the fine print, it doesn't say 60 HP AND 4-7 MPG AND 30 pounds of torque.

Just my personal experiences and I like it for what it is. Just take the salesman at face value, there to tell you the good and its up to you to do your due diligence for the bad.

Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: