SMC Discussion Areas
June 13, 2024, 01:03:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cavalier C 55D. Is it missing something?  (Read 8170 times)
Jcarter168
5 Cent Member

« on: August 18, 2012, 02:05:57 am »

I looked at this C55 D the other day and I'm not that familiar with this machine.  Can anyone tell me if this machine is missing something, like the long spacers?  I've seen pictures of the long spacers on here but this machine does not appear to have them.  Are they necessary?  The guy is asking $285 for this and he's right down the street from me.

Should I get this?

Vendo 81D Original x2
VMC 110 Pepsi
Vendo 63 Dr. Pepper Queen Anne (Cans)
Cavalier CS-80E
Cavalier C-55D
Cavalier CS-64ES
Cavalier CSS-64FS
Westinghouse WC-102MD x2
Selectivend 9A Dr. Pepper original
Selectivend 1A Dr. Pepper, 7up, RC
SureVend Pepsi P-47
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 07:30:46 am »

looks like it's missing the entire vending mechanism to me.   Oo

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 07:52:26 am »

It will make a nice gun safe!!

Tim
Jcarter168
5 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 11:12:54 am »

I'm sorry that this picture is not very good.  The spacers (or shims?) are all stacked up at the bottom.  The vend motor is there, but I do not know how to test it.  Obviously those wires need to be hooked back up to the terminal.  Anybody out there own one of these that can give me some direction? 

Vendo 81D Original x2
VMC 110 Pepsi
Cavalier CS-80E
Cavalier C-55D
Cavalier CS-64ES
Cavalier CSS-64FS
Westinghouse WC-102MD x2
SureVend Pepsi P-47
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 11:57:08 am »

Ok, it looks like you are growing fond of this machine. Well welcome to the club and be assured that every one of us has been bitten by this "just gotta' have it" feeling.
     You lucked out and found a more popular square corner machine. Now you need to justify to yourself and the seller what it's worth.
     The seller can't use it and most buyers won't want it if it doesn't work. Tell him you are gambling on buying it because of the risk of not finding the parts. I think you should offer $100.00 for it and I think he should seriously consider it.
     If the stack isn't complete, parts from the larger stacks would probably interchange or a complete stack will come your way,(usually hidden inside a rusty old beatup machine of the same style). The rest of the machine looks to be in good shape.
     Do what we all did............take a chance  happydrinkers

Glen
Jcarter168
5 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 02:25:35 pm »

Yes, I've always liked the c55's and never thought one would turn up that is affordable.  I would prefer the dual vend lighted model but those always seem to be above $500 and far away from where I live.  Does anyone know exactly what parts ARE missing from this machine?  I saw another one just like this for sale and the pic of the inside looks exactly the same minus the vend motor, and that guy wanted $400.

I am new to this board and to soda machines in general.  You guys have already helped me out a lot just by my reading past discussions.  My first machine is a Cavalier CS-80E that I acquired about 3 weeks ago.  I'm still cleaning that one, but I just could not resist this one since I've always thought they were unique.

Vendo 81D Original x2
VMC 110 Pepsi
Cavalier CS-80E
Cavalier C-55D
Cavalier CS-64ES
Cavalier CSS-64FS
Westinghouse WC-102MD x2
SureVend Pepsi P-47
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 03:18:05 pm »

Shouldn't be difficult to make add a light up sign, If you want it, make an offer.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 03:26:10 pm »

Sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes you score it pays dividend.... If you take the chance and it works out, Score. If you spend the next 2 years and can't find the parts, Bummer. Unless you have a parts manual and the machine, it will hard to tell you if everything is there for sure.

Was the machine complete for $400? and this one is a project for $265? May be worth a hassle factor to look in that price range.

Just a thought, if someone was working on it and it is still apart , don't plan on it working, most people don't take things apart without a reason......

Tim
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 03:30:13 pm »

Unless the bottle delivery chute is inside stacked with all of the spacers, I don't see one. Attached is an inside pic of my dual select 55 (not much difference)
I can see the switch in yours, which should be under the delivery chute. Something missing (that is not easily removed) is usually a bad sign.
Take Glen's advice and go with a $100 offer - parts missing, unknown working condition, etc.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
darrelcraig

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 09:59:41 pm »

Here are a couple of pics of my C1-55, unrestored and in working order.  Hopefully they'll help you compare.   When I bought mine, I had the guy plug it in for about 5 minutes until I could feel the metal in the back getting cold.  It also had 8 shims (I think that's what they come with).  The shims are hard to find, but can be made.  I paid $325 for mine.  It won't dispense the newer bottles without more shims than they come with.  I had some old 6 ounce bottles I used when I tested mine.

darrelcraig

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 10:14:00 pm »

Here are a couple of pics of the vending mechanism.  The one with 2 arrows is a shot throught the lower right opening. The 2 arrows point at the vending levers on that side.  The pick with 1 arrow shows the gear which is attached to the motor. 

If you email me at darrelcraig@yahoo.com, I'll send you the high quality pics so you can see them better.
Jcarter168
5 Cent Member

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 10:28:35 am »

Darrel, thanks for the pics I think I see the difference now.  In comparing the pics of the one I posted and yours, it appears that the pieces that are missing or the two metal (backplates?) with the round holes in them.  So, my question is, what are these for and are they necessary for the machine to vend?

Vendo 81D Original x2
VMC 110 Pepsi
Cavalier CS-80E
Cavalier C-55D
Cavalier CS-64ES
Cavalier CSS-64FS
Westinghouse WC-102MD x2
SureVend Pepsi P-47
darrelcraig

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 10:32:19 am »

I'm not at home until this weekend, so I'll have to guess at the answer.  Their are usually movable plates in the back which allow you to increase or decrease machine depth to accomodate taller or shorter bottles.  This appears to be what you talking about.  Your model may be slightly different, so those pieces could be a little different. Remember, sheet metal parts can be fabricated.  Mechanical parts, however, may be tough to find.  I'm a novice too, so any expert advice on what I'm saying is appreciated.
zadd
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 08:32:24 pm »

Looks like he wants 200.00 OBO now . Maybe you can get it cheaper now

Zadd
Dr Pepper Queen Anne Bottle Machine
Dr Pepper Queen Anne Can Machine
7up Ideal 55 slider
Vendo 81D
VMC 33D
Nehi Pelco Koolie
Jcarter168
5 Cent Member

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 05:37:01 pm »

I picked it up for $125.  Looks like I'm going to need a lot of help from C55 owners.   Anybody have any advice on restoring the original sign or replacing it with a light up?

Vendo 81D Original x2
VMC 110 Pepsi
Cavalier CS-80E
Cavalier C-55D
Cavalier CS-64ES
Cavalier CSS-64FS
Westinghouse WC-102MD x2
SureVend Pepsi P-47
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up