SMC Discussion Areas
June 30, 2024, 01:54:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Craiglist scam  (Read 8756 times)
oscar
Soda Jerks

« on: July 08, 2011, 12:35:52 pm »

Everytime I advertise something on craigslist I get the scammers coming out of the woodwork. veryangry I had 3 emails from the same person on 3 different ads this week. I got another one today and decided I'm going to let them send me another fake check. laugh They sent me a check next day air for some furniture from my mother's estate 2 weeks ago.  laugh I'm not getting any response from the ads anyway I guess I'll make them spend some money of their own.  laugh
ciawarrior
10 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 12:41:03 pm »

Everything Ive sold on CL, I put down must come in person, no email or BS shipping item, you come here and get it
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 01:29:20 pm »

Id say let them send a check, puts more money back in our econmy to UPS, Fed ex or US Postal... why not.
just maybe not use your home address.. I use my business

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 04:33:05 pm »

I hate the scammers. You should contact the FBI. They have a scam department email address. They may want the check they sent you. Or possibly the bank manager may want it to help identify fake checks? You never know. You may be able to do some good with the fake check helping to catch these ass holes.
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 06:32:45 pm »

I took it to the bank and they scanned it. I would love to put these people out of business. I'll do my part by letting them send me checks.
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 08:56:51 am »

well, I have the scammer hooked. They asked me in an email If I was trustworthy because I will need to send money back for their shipper.  laugh Of course I am. Just waiting for that next day air package with the fake check. laugh
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 01:20:19 pm »

I always seem to get that email that basically has a picture attached saying something about I would like to buy the item(s) that you have for sale and the best part is that I have actually never posted anything for sale on craigslist only ads saying I was looking for stuff.
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 12:51:25 pm »

I got the check today for $3000 on an item that was listed at $650. Next day air Fedex. It was printed on a 8 1/2 by 11 blank sheet of paper. The check didn't have perforations. You would have to cut it out with scissors. High tech operation.
cokemachinesandmore
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 01:29:01 pm »

tell him your dog accidently chewed it, please rush you another check as you are anxious to complete the transaction.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 01:57:16 pm »

HA HA thats a good one! YEs say the dog ate it or it got wet in your mail box and the ink ran. I would say something like wow it got we and the ink ran on the check. That usually doesn't happen to checks. I have never seen the ink run on something like that. Oh well please send me another check. He will think your a complete idiot then see if he will send you another after that. Cost him a fortune in Fedex costs.

Im surprised the bank will accept a check that has been cut with scissors. They have to know it is a cheap fake. I never thought about taking their checks. I may go get a safe deposite box just to do that. It would be worth the fun of running them around
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 02:34:02 pm »

I thought about telling them that they forgot to put the check in the envelope. Please resend with the check in this time. I might list some more items. I might get on the scammers list of don't send this guy a check. These people really get me veryangry. They screw up a good thing.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 08:41:17 pm »

HA HA thats a good one. There are several lists like that if you googl ethem. Maybe you can get in touch with some of them and send them your results. I buy a lot of products from China and India for my job and have been scammed several times and some even for really little amounts of money. I always get samples before sending money but they all use western union for small transfers for samples and two guys for towels I paid like $100 for samples and shipping and they don't send anything and say things like I was in a car crash and am in the hospital. I tried a company that turned out to be fake and I should have known better but they were a french company and they said the sample request was easier to talk directly with the factory in Africa. Well I buy a lot of stuff and some is legitimately made in Africa but I should have known better when they said to work direct. I sent them the money for samples and shipping which was cheap and only like $125 with shipping they said that they had been stuck in customs in England and needed $200 to clear. I asked why they had to clear customs in England and they said that the plane stopped in England and they got stopped by customs on their way through. I kindly explained that cargo does not clear customs everywhere it stops only at the destination. They then said that a courier was personally carrying it and had a drop in England so it got stopped with him because he had to go into england. Yeah right. I blew them off and they still send emails every now and then saying they want to do good business with me and that my samples are waiting to clear customs all I have to do is pay. What A#$ Holes. It makes western Union look bad to but for legit services I still use them for small amounts as I can either send through WU or TT bank Transfer and pay around $100 USD fee and either way there is no protection. Oh Well.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 11:21:21 pm »

Buy products made in the USA.
Creighton

oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 10:28:28 am »

This is the reply I got from the scammer. I told him my wife accidently threw out the check and he would have to resend it. I got another one on the hook from another craigslist ad.

WHY BIG SILENT?? URGENT REPLY NEEDED
Linda hoffman> Bensonjohn10@gmail.com

Hey, Its quite funny and sound rudy ,now that you got my payment and u never respond or update me what is going on... Am wondering why you haven't get back to me since fed-ex confirmed it that they have delivered the payment to you & more so  and i sent you all the details and the shipper instruction, yet you keep silent,but i must tell you that there is no way you can ripe me off because i will definitely track you and have my money back since the bank has been informed to released the money to you because we are moving to another state and yet you keep silent.if you decide not to sell me the item anymore then let me know and send my money back to me and don't play with me because it is dangerous to do.

I don't mean to be rude to you cos you know it quiet that this is  my first time of transacting on craigslist...it will be good for us to be honest and sincere to each other,kindly tell me whatever going on to know what you are up to..Because i am so scare due to lots of scam going on craiglist and u are the kind of people craigslist is looking for that ripe one's money and play lots of con practicing.
Once again..here is the shipper address to wire my remaining money via western union so that the transaction can be completed.

Name.............Brenda Hopwood
Address.........13433 Nightingale Street City...............Gaithersburg State............ MD Zip code.........20882

Hey, Its quite funny and sound rudy ,now that you got my payment and u never respond or update me what is going on... Am wondering why you haven't get back to me since fed-ex confirmed it that they have delivered the payment to you & more so  and i sent you all the details and the shipper instruction, yet you keep silent,but i must tell you that there is no way you can ripe me off because i will definitely track you and have my money back since the bank has been informed to released the money to you because we are moving to another state and yet you keep silent.if you decide not to sell me the item anymore then let me know and send my money back to me and don't play with me because it is dangerous to do.

I don't mean to be rude to you cos you know it quiet that this is  my first time of transacting on craigslist...it will be good for us to be honest and sincere to each other,kindly tell me whatever going on to know what you are up to..Because i am so scare due to lots of scam going on craiglist and u are the kind of people craigslist is looking for that ripe one's money and play lots of con practicing.
Once again..here is the shipper address to wire my remaining money via western union so that the transaction can be completed.

Name.............Brenda Hopwood
Address.........13433 Nightingale Street City...............Gaithersburg State............ MD Zip code.........20882
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 10:52:22 am »

Just got the reply and he's going to send another check. laugh
cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 10:52:43 am »

Keep them going.  These scammers are the lowest form of scum on the earth.

Greg
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 11:01:53 am »

Yes play it out as long as you can. I can't believe people can take money from others like this. There are so many people in the world that have been devastated from these scams. Many going as far as suicide from loosing everything to a scam. I wish there was a way to get even. It take the lowest scum in the world to pray off of other peoples kindness. 
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 11:22:41 am »

Please be careful. He has your home address.. First rule in dealing with the enemy is never reveal your personal details
and leave your family exposed.

Not all scammers are doppey Nigerians sitting in Lagos sending out e-mails. Some belong to crime families and
can get quite nasty.

Jacko1070
10 Cent Member

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 11:24:16 am »

I am a bank manager and am always amazed at these scams and when it all comes down to it, how many people actually fall for it.   God Bless the USA and all that we offer to folks who come here legally, and I mean no disrespect, but really, this does sound like the ramblings of Brenda Hopwood of Gaithersburg MD.  Brenda sound like someone who may have a firmer grasp of the english language..................
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 12:10:16 pm »

I gave the new scammer my mothers address. She died in Janurary so there will be no problem. The other scammers are foreign. I'm not too worried I don't think they will make a trip to my house. If they do i'll be waiting with my AR15.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 01:34:49 pm »

Does anyone know how this works? How can you send a payment via western union to a person in the USA and they get it in Africa? I got hit on a scam buying from an international vendor but it was only for a few hundred. I bought samples before buying the real thing. They had me send the money western union to their home office in France and the scammer was in Benin? At that time I actually did legit business buying towels in Africa and had good luck with it. It went to a new distributor and it was a scam. They later sent me a message asking if I wanted to import the medical supplies and Morphine I had ordered. I had actually spoken to them about clean room grade wipers. So they are running a scam on multiple items. I played with them for a long time about the medical supplies and morphine. I strung them along for several months and they thought I was going to buy tens of thousands worth of drugs. But anyway they had me send the money to a person in France???

It a darn shame and they will probably be putting western union out of business as no one trusts sending money through them anymore due to scammers. I actually use WU in business for a lot of stuff. If I am buying something from China and its a small amount the fee for western union is cheaper than the charge to bank draft to china so we use western union and I have not had any problems. There is info all over the internet saying never use WU and that is not always true. How can people sleep at night knowing they are ruining the lives of others. Especially the people that target the elderly. My wifes Grandma is 84 years old and gets phone calls from scammers trying to get her to send them money for the international lottery she won and a lot of other stuff. She had almost fallen for it the first time they dd it. They said she had won an international lottery but first she had to pay the taxes on the money and they would send her the millions she had won. She was so excited and had already gotten the check and luckily she told my wife about it and she came and asked me about it and I informed her it was a scam. She has very little but all she could think of is how much that money could help her family and she had never thought of it being a scam. This happens too often and mainly to the elderly.
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 01:44:07 pm »

Josh,
You can pick up the funds at ANY Western Union, which is why this method is so popular with scammers.   I show an ID that  claims my name is the person in thier system awaiting money, and  it's  done.  I can tell you I'm in waiting for a pick up in bosie, when in truth I am  in Trashcanistan.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2011, 08:34:41 am »

I've got a couple more fake checks. laugh It costs them around $25 everytime they send one. I have another coming in a day or so. I'm cleaning out my garage and Mother's house so I have plenty of items to list. I just got one on the hook for the U-Select-It machine and it's listed at $250. They'll try and scam you on almost any amount. This would work on getting rid of the scammers. If you list something let them send you a fake check. I don't even delete the items like they tell you to do.
cokecolaman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2011, 05:47:44 pm »

I think this is great...make them pay something and think twice about scamming people...the problem is there are so many suckers, they can afford the $25.

VMC Coke 88 (nice original)
VMC Pepsi 81
VMC Orange Crush 81
VMC Squirt 81
VMC Dr. Pepper 81
VMC RC 81
VMC 7up 81 st
Vendo 44 original
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Cavalier 33
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print