SMC Discussion Areas
June 27, 2024, 06:43:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I think I'm gonna cry...  (Read 10077 times)
pinballdude
25 Cent Member

« on: April 27, 2011, 01:03:07 pm »

I have collected Coca-Cola memorabilia since I graduated high School in 1975.
I can still remember my first convention at Elizabethtown KY around 1977.
Totally blown away by both the Schmidt Museum and the stuff collectors brought
to sell out of their rooms.  I still try to go to the annual convention there when I can.
The convention has changed since I first went. But the loss of the Schmidt Coke Museum will
change forever the annual Septemberfest hosted by the Mid-South Chapter of the
Coca-Cola Collectors Club.

http://www.kfvs12.com/story/14522988/copy-ky-family-to-sell-massive-coca-cola-collection

I have talked with other attendees and we agree, many of the old time collectors are selling their
collections because their children want nothing to do with the stuff and don't want to deal w/it when
the parents are gone. Also older collector need money NOW with the economy the way it is.

I could go on reminiscing, I miss the good old days!
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 01:48:45 pm »

I was hoping to get there someday, I guess now I'll just have to fork over the 10 million and buy it all ... wonder if they'll take a check?

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 01:51:02 pm »

I wonder how much Coke is going to fork over for some of those items that they don't have, it'll be interesting to follow the auctions.

Maybe I could just send them a money order, with a little extra so they can pay my shippers when they show up.

RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 03:35:42 pm »

Wow! I remember visiting the place every time I passed through to visit my parents. What a shame. I haven't kept up much with the old E-town bottling plant. I guess I just assumed they would always be there.

And time roles on.

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 04:36:38 pm »

The article states they have 30,000 visitors per year. Add up those admission fees and sales of reproduction Coke stuff, subtract operating costs and they still probably rake in a half million dollars in revenue per year as a museum.
        I would think a group of investors would do well to purchase the whole lot and rent the property back from the Schmidts so as to keep the buisness open to the public. In 20 years they break even on their purchase and still own the merchandise which we all know will only appreciate in value.

Glen
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 06:02:36 pm »

The article states they have 30,000 visitors per year. Add up those admission fees and sales of reproduction Coke stuff, subtract operating costs and they still probably rake in a half million dollars in revenue per year as a museum.
        I would think a group of investors would do well to purchase the whole lot and rent the property back from the Schmidts so as to keep the buisness open to the public. In 20 years they break even on their purchase and still own the merchandise which we all know will only appreciate in value.

Ok i'm in ... who's with me..?

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 06:28:41 pm »

Hell yes. Who all has been there? I stumbled on it on my way to nashville. It was amazing. They actually have TWO Decappers!!!
rayg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 08:10:28 pm »

Never been there, 1st  time I really heard about it,  It sounds like a Coke heaven.  If they sale it all off that will be  hell of a auction!

1954 Stoner Senior
1964 United Orbit shuffle bowler   
1973 Cavalier USS-96
1976 Atari Night Driver
1979 Space Invaders Deluxe
1980 Centipede Cabaret (60in1)
1984 Williams Laser Cue Pinball
1993 IGT Wild Cherry Slot
1996 Police Trainer
2016 Visual Pinball Machine
Member : Michigan Mafia
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 09:31:49 pm »

I was there several years ago...some rare and awesome items... would love to see what the decappers go for.
Their cardboard signs weren't the greatest... a lot of wear on some... but the machines and turn of the century items were outstanding.

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Pat Pixley
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 10:18:44 pm »

Ok i'm in ... who's with me..?

Count me in  biggrin
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: