SMC Discussion Areas
June 22, 2024, 09:12:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: projector  (Read 25860 times)
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« on: January 30, 2011, 02:36:02 am »

I got a projector today to go along with my drive-in speakers. Since I could not afford a newer LCD or DLP projector I ended up getting an old Zenith CRT projector. Thing weighs a ton but is in pretty good shape (there is almost no dust inside for being on a celing for 10 or so years). I allready have opened it up and followed the instructions on how to set it to the floor position (they actually had it mounted to the celing. Not sure how they did it but they did) and I should be getting it set up tomorrow. Just got to figure out what cables I need. I think I just need a S-video cable but I am not sure. I hope to get it all set up and play some movies outside during the summer with my drive-in speakers and make my own "drive-in". Even plan on building a screen that has the drive-in screen style supports on the back. I will get some pictures of the projector tomorrow because I am too tired to get some tonight.
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 09:20:29 am »

Very cool, however, be careful... you are opening up a whole new can of worms with the backyard theater... I've been doing it for 3-4 years now and it started out as a little indoor screen and projector that my buddy gave me. I know have an inflatable screen with powered DJ speakers, popcorn machine and a full backyard a few times a year... If you want to see what you are getting into, check out this site.. http://backyardtheater.com/forums/index.php?

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 01:15:53 pm »

That does kind of sound like fun. I was actually thinking of getting a popcorn machine to go along with it. Just got to get some pipe so I can build a speaker pole and I will be set. Thanks for letting me know about that website. There is a lot of good info and ideas on there.
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 05:22:55 pm »

No problem.. pictures of my first setup are on the site..

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 06:02:38 pm »

I got into the outdoor theater this past summer, its a great time to have a bunch of people over, grill some food and watch football or a good movie into the night.  I took an old Coleman cooler, modified it with a rack mount amp and DVD player, so everything is self contained and portable.  I have a couple small speakers that pull out of the cooler, and all you need is a power source and you're projecting. 

I also have one of those digital TV converters with the antenna that you can see in the fourth pic, so I can show live football or whatever else (nascar in most cases), and it stays portable.  The stationary screen is 110", made with a simple wood frame and white blackout fabric, it costs about $40 to build and looks great. 

mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 07:31:01 pm »

My friend has been doing this for about 5 or 6 years.  He had his wife sew a screen the covers the double width garage door out of black material with a white box in the middle that is the correct proportions for wide screen projection.  I think he put in velcro strips on each side of the door so it goes up without a lot of trouble.  Then he reverse projects onto the back of the screen from inside the garage so the projector is not outside in the event of a quick rain storm.  He has an old set of home theater speakers with the front and middle ones in the garage projecting out from behind the screen and he places the rear speakers about 30 feet down the driveway.  It is a blast.  He usually does a double feature--first one for the kids, second one for adults.  The whole neighborhood shows up.  Wish I had a pic to share.

drinking Tim drinking
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 10:42:53 pm »

I like that cooler idea. Good way to store it although my machine is proboly as big as that entire cooler. I also like the real projection idea and might try it but I would need to flip some connectors inside to make that work (amazing how these things have changed in the 12 years since mine was built.) Check out the bracket that they needed to hang it from the ceiling. The thing is reinforced on the inside with more steel. I think that whole assembly weighs at least 10 pounds.

rayg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 08:57:52 pm »

scalebowler  You have a cool commercial grade projector  unit with  BNC connectors for component and a s-video input .  They are  nice and bright,  we had them  at work years ago and they were on 7x24 and  lasted a long time,  like any CRT the will burn in if you use images with static component in them i.e. some old video games.  Hope you drive-in works out.

1954 Stoner Senior
1964 United Orbit shuffle bowler   
1973 Cavalier USS-96
1976 Atari Night Driver
1979 Space Invaders Deluxe
1980 Centipede Cabaret (60in1)
1984 Williams Laser Cue Pinball
1993 IGT Wild Cherry Slot
1996 Police Trainer
2016 Visual Pinball Machine
Member : Michigan Mafia
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 09:44:48 pm »

Fired it up today and it works great. I still don't have a video cable but I did get it to display the menus and those looked pretty good. I will need to do some alignments with the tubes (need a video input to do that) and figure out the screen size but it did power on and everything turned on and looked great. rayg I know exactly what you mean about the screen burn in. I don't think I have seen an single pacman machine that does not have the maze permanently burned in the screen and a TV we got for video games at a garage sale for video games has mute burned into the bottom corner. My dad is pretty excited about me needing a stand for it. He does wood working stuff as a hobby and he wants to help build a stand. Should be fun.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 09:46:49 pm »

Cool! Cherish the father son projects and post some pics.
Creighton
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: