SMC Discussion Areas
July 01, 2024, 02:30:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hoping for a score.  (Read 10736 times)
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 12:10:52 pm »

Detroit would have several dozen people die a year trying to steal copper wire from live transformers, either electrocution, or falling off the utility pole. The prices for scrap I guess were worth risking one's life.

That fact was in the article too - it has happened all over the country!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 12:15:27 pm »

I was reading an article the other day that stealing copper wiring is a major problem in many large cities costing billions of dollars.
Getting it all put back together costs more than the materials.

It is a sign of the times unfortunately.  They have been stealing the bricks, aluminum siding, copper piping and wiring out of abandoned houses in Detroit for years.  I work in a real estate related industry and you never know what will be missing from a foreclosed house.  It is not always outside thiefs who are taking the stuff.  A lot of times the people losing the home are the culprits.  veryangry I have seen houses where the entire kitchens have been removed--appliances, fixtures and cabinets--leaving a bare room.  Bathroom fixtures are also a popular item in the newer homes.  Not to mention furnaces and air conditioning units.  Take a look on CL and search high end (Viking, Sub Zero, etc.) on CL--those good deals are likely appliances stolen out of foreclosed homes.  The owners being foreclosed on have no right to basically destroy the homes that they are losing.  That is why a lot of these foreclosed homes are being sold for such low prices.

The people doing this think that the bank will not come after them but the bank has the right to pursue the deficiencies on the loans and any damage they cause to the homes for up to seven years after the foreclosure.  A lot of people don't realize this and that is why they do some of this stuff.

Okay, off my soapbox!

drinking Tim drinking

PS--Nice score on the juke and pool table!
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 06:34:30 pm »

We had someone last week get in one of our electrical tunnels at work and steal over a 1000' of 2/0 cable and ground wires. That's about 10 k worth of copper. They got scared when they cut into a 12k line that was energized and flashed on them.

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 11:54:57 pm »

Haven't been able to get over to take a look yet. This is 1/2 mile from the house. Roads are still slick and the idiots are out.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2010/12/19/wa.ice.sliding.cars.khq?iref=allsearch

Cracked up, there was a news truck parked just waiting. It's a steep hill. We drove by this whole mess on the way to the store. Cops didn't show for 2 hrs. so the residents took it upon themselves to block the road.
Sorry about the ad, don't know how to cut it out.
Creighton
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 12:09:55 am by Creighton » Logged
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 06:30:28 am »

Thats a pretty wild video..

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 10:27:36 am »

It's funny watching people who have never driven on snow or ice. You wonder why they keep driving straight for the pile of cars. laugh
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 10:30:19 am »

I'm just visualizing Creighton comming down that hill with a juke box and pool table in the back of the truck   help

Glen
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 03:31:18 pm »

What Ever It Is It Would Be Safer Strapped in the Passanger Seat Right  Glen LOL

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
David D
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 08:49:26 pm »

wow,that's pretty crazy
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 10:10:52 pm »

Well proud owner of a 1973 Seeburg SPS2 "Matador" So tacky its cool.

I'm sure the purist think it is junk. Don't care.
Remember one from a bar years ago. It would rock the place.
Had one Barbara Streisand record and 34 cents included. Chrome and glass all good. Appears complete, pretty clean inside. Lights up but haven't played with it any further. Heavy bugger.
I see manuals from a few places. Anyone have a recommendation? Any suggestions welcomed, Thanks!

Pool table is Wed. heavy lifting exercise. 8' 1960's Valley 1" one piece slate. Oldest/nicest built Valley I've ever seen. Has some minor issues, but no biggies. Going to be a tight fit in the basement. Drill is going to be get all the piece's downstairs and get an guy over for new felt/bumpers and reassembly. If I survive will post an update :-)

Creighton
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 10:14:10 pm by Creighton » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: