SMC Discussion Areas
July 01, 2024, 09:38:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Painting Quote questions  (Read 4972 times)
jgastonl

« on: October 12, 2010, 03:42:57 pm »

I received a quote on painting my VFA-56.  I was wondering if you all could help me see if it was a just price.  My machine has one small dent on it (in which I told the guy don't worry about it).  And it has rust in the inside compartment that he will patch a piece of metal (about a 5" X 5" piece).  He will just be painting the outside of machine, roughly coating the inside with rustole-um and side decals.  With at least 3 clearcoats at end (or as much as a gallon will go)  Coke red and white.  I got an estimate of about 200 for paint and only 285 to paint.  Total job is about $485.  I've seen this guys work and he does a great job.  Usually he paints bikes and cars.  He's never painted a coke machine but is thrilled to paint one to add to his portfolio. 

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 03:54:35 pm »

Well it sound good  , and you have seen his work and it looks good to you . go for it.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 04:20:36 pm »

IF you have seen his work, then yeah it's a great price,, alot depends on the quality of the paint, the price seems low? but depends on what he is buying, i think my Red alot more than that..

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Pat Pixley
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 07:37:39 pm »

I know my Red is more than that I talked to my painter tonight  Oo  ,  I reread what you said  " And you said it has one small dent you told him not to worry about it"    Well if you don't fix that dent and you repaint it as is that dent will stand out like a sore thumb, and later on you will regret not fix it . upside
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 07:48:23 pm »

Yes that price is very low. I won't touch a paint job for under $1K. I would be cautious of the materials but if you know the guy and have seen his work then go for it.
jgastonl

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 08:36:35 am »

yeah, thanks all.  He's a "new" buddy of a buddy of mine.  lol....  A common friend of ours works at a paint supplier store (that's where the discounted price of paint comes from).  Also, since this is my first machine I'm going to help him with as much of it as I can.  that way I can learn about the process.  As soon as we get started, I'll be sure to post pics for all.

Thanks all for your help.

:darn:impatiently awaiting for this process to begin..... darn

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 04:27:30 pm »

Good luck. Sounds like a fun project! Make sure to take lots of pictures especially of detailed and complex items you take apart. There is nothing better than a picture to help you put it back together. I have built several machines over the years and I still take hundreds of pictures of every machine. Also since this is your first machine it is well worth taking the machine completely apart before painting. Take the vending stack and shelves out as well as the cooling system. The cooling system comes out in one piece and you don't have to recharge it. Then remove the inside liner and the insulation. Doing all of this will not only increase the value of the machine but also increase the life of the machine by making sure you don't have any rust problems on the inside. Replacing the old insulation will also help get the funky odor out of the inside.

If you have any questions we are all here to help. We all love to help other collectors. Luckily you have a relatively easy machine to work on so it is a great machine to start with. And make sure to post pics of the machine.
jgastonl

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 09:49:31 pm »

I sure will, you guys/gals? Have been very helpful so far.  I appreciate all the comments and suggestions.  This forum makes it even better to have coke machine restoration as a hobby.  Thanks.

Jump to: