SMC Discussion Areas
June 28, 2024, 03:30:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on an eReader  (Read 6014 times)
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« on: September 20, 2010, 12:42:58 am »

My wife has mentioned in passing (hint-hint-nudge-nudge) the desire for an eBook reader (her birthday is fast approaching).
Anyone have any good or bad experience with one brand or another??
Sony?? Amazon's Kindle?? Others??
 help

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
antiquevending

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 01:35:40 am »

I deleted this post as I figured it was posted in the wrong thread..

Bubba
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 10:28:06 am by bubba » Logged
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 09:58:16 am »

Tom,

My brother in-law, a 16 year veteran of the USMC and a Gunnery Sgt., has a Kindle that he took with him on his last deployment to Afghanistan and he loves it! He a Flight Engineer in C-130's and said it took a good beating and is still in one peice. On top of that he likes how it perfoms and the battery life is really excellent.

Brian
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 10:00:24 am »

Tom,
i've been hearing good things form people at work on the Kindle. The screen is easy on the eyes,  it's readable even in sunlight/ bright light, the battery power lasts.
The draweback, there is no color,

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 10:08:40 am »

My sister has a Kindle and she likes it.  I was also at a fundraiser auction recently where they had a "Nook" from Barnes & Noble.  Same idea just a different device.  From what I understand, the Nook can be used to read e-books free over the Wifi in the  B & N stores.  I thought that was a nice feature.

drinking Tim drinking
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 10:46:21 am »

I bought my wife a Kindle for Christmas and she loves it.

A lot of stuff.
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 03:58:34 pm »

My mom has a kindle and loves it. My wife had an iPad. I think the iPad blows the kindle away.

We got the iPad at Best Buy. At the time it was 18 months no interest. Since then I think I heard the kindle had a price drop.  I think the best value is the iPad. You can do so much more with it.
cokecolaman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 05:03:23 pm »

I purchased the first kindle for my wife and she loved it...I then purchased the 2nd version for her with the idea that I would keep the first version...She didn't like the 2nd version, but loves the first one. I just recently purchased and Ipad  for me and it does blow away the kindle...but for the price the kindle is at now, it's a great deal and I think you can't go wrong either way.

VMC Coke 88 (nice original)
VMC Pepsi 81
VMC Orange Crush 81
VMC Squirt 81
VMC Dr. Pepper 81
VMC RC 81
VMC 7up 81 st
Vendo 44 original
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Cavalier 33
jnapp18
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 08:47:17 pm »

100% kindle if you are going for jsut a reader... it blows all the other readers out of the water... If she wants more.. the ipad is great... obviously more expensive and you have to have internet to download books.. where as the kindle has FREE wireless access everywhere.. the only problem is you can only use that internet to download books and go on wikipedia.
CoolCat
10 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 11:31:04 pm »

I have the Nook that Barnes & Noble sells.  I love it.  The screen is really easy on my eyes (because it isn't backlit) and you don't have to worry about the readability of the screen in sunlight... just don't plan on reading it in the dark.  I went with the Nook because I have a B&N around the corner from my house, so it's convenient for me in ways the Kindle would not be for me.  For example, I can go to B&N and read an electronic book for an hour for free per day if I wanted to.  I also like the fact that my unit has both 3G (comes with permanent pre-paid access with the unit) and WiFi.

I like the idea of the iPad, but it just isn't all that practical for me since my iPhone gives me sufficient internet/app access to do the things I want when I don't want to carry around my laptop or when I am away from one of my desktop machines.  If you want to have a book-like experience, I think one of the readers like the Nook, Kindle, Sony, etc.  is a better way to go... especially since the non-backlit screens generate less eye strain.  The only real hurdle for me has been the fact that I no longer physically have the book in my hands.  For some reason I like the feel and smell of books. 

David

C-51
Vendo 63
Popcorn Machine

...needs more toys.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: