SMC Discussion Areas
June 03, 2024, 02:18:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cavalier c-55e  (Read 8869 times)
reddarb

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 11:41:18 pm »

Well today I decided to restore my c-55E,And there was some surprises.

1. My vend motor is locked up.
2. I found that the cavalier company was supporting the bottom of the inside housing (the one that supports the vending machine) with 2 pieces of wood.
3. And a few other problems....

Now some decisions.
1. Powder coat or paint ??
2. Rebuild locked up motor or buy another.
3. How to replace the wood installed in the bottom...
4. Were to get new insulation?
5. Where to get a new chrome piece for the bottom. (seems the old one is glued on)...

Now I will break down the outer door , and go on..... hopefull
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 11:53:41 pm »

For my machine I went to home depot and bought some fiberglass insulation. Unfaced R-19 insulation is the stuff I used.
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 12:03:34 am »

I have pulled the vending part out of the machine and manual turned the gears and them seem to work, but I do not have access to the timer switch by the motor.

1. My vend motor is locked up.

So, what you are saying is the motor lock up and you cannot turn the cam by hand?

When you first said that you could turn the gears by hand, were you referring to the vending assembly and not the vend motor? I misunderstood.

I had a vend motor from a Westinghouse machine that I could not budge by hand or hammer. I blasted every available surface & orafice on that motor with PB Blaster...let it sit a while in the sun...blasted it again....tapped the shaft with a hammer....repeat.... and then went into the shop and hooked the wires up to a plug...gave it short jolts of electricity and bam it started working.

After many of these old machines left the life of service, neglect set in. Unfortunately, either the machine sat unused for years upon years or someone used them but did not maintain them.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 12:10:10 am by collecture » Logged

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 06:50:41 am »

When it comes to powdercoating on this machine, there are a few parts that this would work great on. Pretty much everything inside the vending mech with the exception of the mech shaft and the gears. I wouldn't powdercoat the main body of the machine or anything painted red. Get it sprayed.

As far as the motor goes. If Tom's idea of soaking it in PB Blaster or a like product doesn't work, MCarter has a couple of good used vend motors that will fit your machine. If you take your motor to a shop, you are probably looking at around at least $100 to get started and that's on the low side.

The (2) peices of wood/pressed fiber board is 100% stock and very easy to replace, I cut new wood for mine. You could use oak, poplar, and the list goes on. I personally would use a hardwood. After cutting it to size, make sure you spray/brush a couple of good heavey coats of polyurethane on it to protect it from any further moisture.

Scalebowler nailed the insulation question on the head, cut unfaced, R-19 to fit. If you can't find any unfaced insulation, you can buy the paper faced stuff and remove the paper facing, it comes of pretty easily.

Which chrome peice are you refering too? Do you have any pictures?

Brian
reddarb

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 04:28:55 pm »

As far as the vend motor the gears turned fine, but when I took it apart I realized it was turning due to the roll pin was sheared, but the motor was locked up. What are the two vents on top of the motor? For oil? And if it is oil what type?

I was thinking about changing the wood to a steel. It looked like size of a 2x4, I was going to purchase a steel 2x4 and cut that.

But before I get that step I have to have some sand blasting done to the cabinet . I will try to get some pictures soon.

The chrome piece I am referring to is the one on the very bottom of the machine in the front.

Rob
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 07:12:50 am »

Yes, the (2) flip-up caps on top are for oil. 20W Motor Oil works fine. When I say motor oil I don't mean the stuff you put in your car. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. The motor use in the C-55 is more than likely not 1/4 h.p. but this oil is still ok to use and works great.

You could use metal if you like, should work fine. I've attached a picture of what I used in my C-55 resto.

Brian
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 07:40:15 am »

In my experience metal 2x4's are usually aluminum. I would use a hardwood like Brian suggested and treat it. I would think you would get more strength from the wood than thin aluminum 2x4's. Many machines used wood. Another idea would be the newer trex plastic wood for decking. That would be strong and last forever.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: