SMC Discussion Areas
July 07, 2024, 01:54:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neat sign from Thailand I found a while back  (Read 1638 times)
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« on: July 12, 2010, 10:32:20 pm »

I am not sure if I ever posted this or not but I just hung it for the first time. This is a sign that I found when I first moved to Singapore. Me and my Dad went to visit Phuket Thailand in 2006. I moved to thailand later in the year and thats when I was hit by the bus Sad

Even though this sign isn't old I loved it when I saw it and had to have it. Coke is everywhere in Thailand and in glass refillable bottles with cane sugar. Signs are everywhere but most are just stickers plastered everywhere. This was on a pole outside of a mom and pop store in rural Phuket. We were on a livaboard dive boat for a week and had docked to resupply. I saw this sign and had to have it. The owner spoke no english and we had no one to translate anywhere around. The lady must have thought we were crazy. It took forever for her to understand that we wanted the sign and not just to buy a Coke. We would point at the sign and then point to us and she would go in and get two Cokes Smiley the sign was attached to the pole with metal wire so we just started taking it down and she understood and strongly protested until I gave her a 500 Baht bill (About $14 USD) and she smiles and was very happy to see it leave Smiley

The sign is just corrugated plastic but it is really cool. It is english on one side and Thai on the other. I know it isn't old and probably not even worth the $14 I paid but it is really cool on the wall of my office!
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 07:16:02 am »

That is really cool.

I had a similar story from a trip to Belize. There they had what appeared to be the old Coca-Cola button signs with he Coke bottle in the center. They were everywhere. There were also all of these old English phone booths and fire hydrants everywhere. It took a week to find a ma and pa store where the owner would sale on of these signs to me, and even then it really wasn't cheap. I paid $100.00 USD for it. But I have it still, it hangs on the wall in my garage.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 07:20:20 am by RC kid » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: