SMC Discussion Areas
October 06, 2024, 12:18:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gas pumps  (Read 11910 times)
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« on: May 09, 2010, 12:50:46 am »

Hey guys how hard are gas pumps to restore? There is a service station that has been closed here in town for a really long time I want to say maybe 8 years or something like that and they have some gas pumps that I would like to try to buy. They are not antique pumps but they are old enough to have the little number reals like the odometer in your car and I think they just look like a lot of fun to work on. Anyone think I should try to go for one? They look like a lot of fun to mess with. Also I don't know where the guy got these pumps but he has 4 different ones. I did find a pic of a pump that looks similar to one of them. http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2008/05/16/P5170253.JPG I just have to act fast because they want to tear it down soon. I will try to get some pics of the place the next time I am out there. I am always out that way so it should be pretty soon.
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 02:45:23 am »

I don't know about value but a gas pump is as easy if not easier to restore than a Soda machine.

Unless you are sitting on a well of refined oil I assume you want the pump just for its cosemtic appeal.

I bought a pump once and the guys here finally convinced me to strip the whole thing out and throw the inards away. It took some convincing but I'm glad I did it. It made it much lighter and you don't have to live with that petrol smell.

Once the inards are out its a matter of re-doing the panels and other bits of trim. There are plenty of people here
much more knowledgeable than me who I'm sure will pipe up. If you like it go for it....

Dave
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 09:56:01 am »

Dave  pretty much summed it up.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
cdc1960
10 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 12:49:59 pm »

try here.... great resource for parts and advice...

http://oldgas.com/

Vendo 44, 63
Cornelius SVM48E3, Cornelius Diplomat
AMI D80, G120
Gotlieb Genie
Bennett 956
Eco 240
Theatre Popcorn machine
Watling Horoscope Penny Scale
gum machines, parking meter, taxi meter, pay phone, etc...
it's getting out of hand..
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 01:35:35 pm »

and i will toss in a plug  for Chesse

http://www.bigcheesepetro.com/

Cheese is the host of this weekend's Michigan Gas Fest in Fowlerville.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 08:59:26 pm »

Awesome I am definatly going to try to get a pump. I am really interested in the mechanical meter part of the pump. Just a whole bunch of parts that look like a lot of fun to work with. I am going to try to contact the owner of the service station and ask about the pumps and I will let you guys know what I find out. I will also try to get some pictures of the pumps. Who knows maybe they will be willing to sell me one.
I don't have any pics of the place yet but I do have a google maps street view of the place. You can sort of see the gas pumps but not too well. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=72nd+and+harrison&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Harrison+St+%26+S+72nd+St,+Nebraska&ll=41.190953,-96.023571&spn=0,0.002637&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=41.190638,-96.023273&panoid=CeQcY1RipdaVegs-shiUMA&cbp=12,195.11,,0,3.99
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 10:04:54 pm by scalebowler » Logged
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 11:06:19 pm »

How exactly do these pumps know how much gas is being pumped out? There has got to be something hooking the pump to the counter so would it be possible to some how hook up a motor or something so that you could make the numbers move when you for example pull the handle or something like that? Just thinking up some ideas. Hopefully I will figure out who I need to contact soon.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 06:57:17 am »

The computer works by the flow of liquid. It would be very difficult to use for anything other than a decoration. I have seen people hook their water hose to the gas filler hose to wash cars with but that will only utilize the hose not the computer. You would have to use the pump inside to make the computer work and it would be very difficult to use with anything other than petrol. The pump will still be full of petrol and getting that odor out I would think would be next to impossible.
cdc1960
10 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 08:46:40 am »

you can hook a small electric motor to the base gear of the computer or Veeder Root.  A guy that goes by the name of jkyocom on oldgas has the parts and knowledge and rebulds Veeder Roots...

Vendo 44, 63
Cornelius SVM48E3, Cornelius Diplomat
AMI D80, G120
Gotlieb Genie
Bennett 956
Eco 240
Theatre Popcorn machine
Watling Horoscope Penny Scale
gum machines, parking meter, taxi meter, pay phone, etc...
it's getting out of hand..
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 09:09:12 am »

Gas Pumps are alot of fun to work on, but however the model your looking at is a mid to late 60's possilble 70's era pump and there are no reproduction parts available if you need something..

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: