SMC Discussion Areas
July 01, 2024, 09:08:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: powder coating  (Read 3850 times)
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« on: March 02, 2010, 11:11:03 am »

Anyone have an idea of what it would cost to powder coat the inside of a machine? Not looking for an exact price I just want to get an idea of what it might cost to help me decide if I want to do it or not.
Thanks
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 12:55:29 pm »

Not sure on the cost of powder coating, but your cost would be probably more than the machine is (and would be) worth.  However, many of us use Rustoleum Hammertone.  It comes in a spray can and makes the inside look (and last) really well.

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 03:57:43 pm »

I had this sand blasted and powder coated for $300.00. I had it done two years ago and I believe the price was a little low for what I got.

I painted the inside/liner with Hammertone paint. I had a liner from a Vendo 39 powder coated and the finish had bubbles in it from the off gassing of the galvanized steel and it looked awful.

Good luck
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 04:43:30 pm »

Not sure on the cost of powder coating, but your cost would be probably more than the machine is (and would be) worth.  However, many of us use Rustoleum Hammertone.  It comes in a spray can and makes the inside look (and last) really well.
That is what I was thinking. I think I will go with the Rustoleum. Thanks!
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 05:53:47 pm »

ALot depends on who you have doing your powder coating... I bring a whole pile of stuff to my guy so that I'm not dealing with one off pricing ,, I just know one price when I bring him a whole pile and it's easier for him and my wallet..
the thing with galvanized parts, is yes you can experience outgassing when the parts are baked after applying the powder.. I think we have it down now, where we sandblast as much as we can off, then we prebake the piece, then powder and rebake,, helped alot with the outgassing.
Powder will last much longer than the paint, although if done right, and prepped right the hammertone can look pretty good.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: