SMC Discussion Areas
April 24, 2024, 12:56:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: water release vs. vinyl decals  (Read 6624 times)
Hollywood80
5 Cent Member

« on: September 16, 2009, 12:01:23 am »

Curious about how the members feel about the difference in quality of  water release decals vs. vinyl decals?  Is the application about equally as easy or difficult.  I have recently applied a couple of water release decals.  The first time I have ever done such a thing.  It was more difficult than I thought.  Tore a little spot in one trying to adjust it.  They looked good when finished.  How long after applying the decals is it OK to clean over them and apply the car wax I usually use? Is there a recommended "cure" time?  Also, my Vendo 81A does not have the embossed "Vendo" on the lower right corner of the door.  Is this normal?  Thanks

Bob
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 12:43:30 pm »

Personally I prefer the vinyl decals to water release.. They are easier to apply and in my humble opinion
much sturdier. I never manage to get the bubbles out the water release ones.. You can try too hard and
end up ruining them...

Dave
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 02:19:39 pm »

I only use vinyl on my machines, Unless cleared over the water release will eventually start to yellow and as time goes on you will be able to wipe it off with your hands.

Joey

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
oldcoke
5 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 10:40:01 pm »

I have use a lot of decals over my lifetime and vinyl is the way to go.
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 05:47:57 am »

I would have to agree with the general consensus, vinyl decals are the way to go.

As far as a cure time for a decal goes, I would give it 24 hours to ensure that all of the moisture has evaporated from the surface of the decal. It probably dries quicker than that but better safe than sorry!

One way to keep the decal from setting up too quickly while positioning is to mist it with water. It helps to keep the glue wet and slippery allowing you to move the decal without tearing it.

Brian
RustyGold
10 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 10:16:12 am »

I only use vinyl on my machines, Unless cleared over the water release will eventually start to yellow and as time goes on you will be able to wipe it off with your hands.

Joey

Old Thread but still pertinent to my question.  

It seems vinyl decals are preferred on restorations in general, but what if you are clear coating over the decals.  Do people still go with vinyl then?  I understand that the yellowing of water release will not happen if cleared over.  My body shop plans to clear coat over the hand lettering and any decals that get applied.  In this case are water release preferred, or still go with vinyl?
 Thanks!

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 10:20:16 am by RustyGold » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: