SMC Discussion Areas
October 05, 2024, 06:33:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Look what followed me home  (Read 8798 times)
Cameron

« on: September 06, 2009, 06:37:38 pm »

Please help me welcome the new addition to my family, a Vendo 39 biggrin

Since my first machine (a Pepsi 81) is in the shop being restored, I felt I needed a soda machine fix. Found the 39 on craigslist and got a very good deal on it. Although it appears that the machine was stored outside for many years, it is complete and in good condition. This is the later model that holds the 12 oz. "King Size" Cokes.

The only significant damage I have noticed is below the vents on either side of the machine. The lower 2"-3" of metal has deteriorated due to exposure to the elements.

Since most of my budget is tied up in the total restoration of my Pepsi 81, I was thinking about attempting to at least partially restore the 39 myself.

I was able to remove the coin mech last night. Out of all the parts on the machine, the coin mech seems like it would be the most difficult to restore myself. It currently is not working properly, coins get stuck within the mechanism. With the coin mech removed I am able to place dimes, nickels in the slot directly behind the crank handle. This allows me to advance the vending drum inside the machine.

When I wind/reset the vending drum inside, I am only able to advance it about fifteen times before it stops advancing. It seems like it should be able to advance 39 times for all 39 bottles it capable of vending.

Hope everyone is enjoying their long weekend.

Cameron

Cameron
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 07:34:23 pm »

The only significant damage I have noticed is below the vents on either side of the machine. The lower 2"-3" of metal has deteriorated due to exposure to the elements.

I was able to remove the coin mech last night.   It currently is not working properly, coins get  stuck within the mechanism.

When I wind/reset the vending drum inside, I am only able to advance it about fifteen times before it stops advancing. It seems like it should be able to advance 39 times for all 39 bottles it capable of vending.

Oh Cameron.......didn't anyone from this site warn you that this hobby is addicting?  biggrin

That 39 is nice! The rust problem on the lower sides can be disguised with 2 strips of stainless steel that will make it look like the kick plate extends to all 3 sides.

You did not remove the coin mech. last night, you removed the "slug rejector" and a little cleaning will get it working again in no time. With it on a level surface....drop in a dime and see where it gets hung-up, clean and try again!

The drum is also working properly, but you must have it loaded with bottles for it to complete it's revolution, because it works with gravity. So load it with 10 or 20 bottles starting at slot #1. A counterweight behind the drum compensates for bottles that have been dispensed.

Once you study the theory of your slug rejector/coin mech. and distribution system/(drum)  of this 39 (with no electronics on either), you will surely admire the engineering of our forefathers

Great homework for a college graduate like you.  happydrinkers

and a good practice machine at a reasonable price Cam    !!!!

« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 08:45:01 pm by MoonDawg » Logged

Glen
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 07:43:51 pm »

Cameron,
Like Glen said - without bottles in the machine, the drum will not advance through all 39. The weight of the bottles work in hand-in-hand with the counter-weights to rotate the drum.

Have you checked that the compressor cools yet? For some reason or another, most of the machines that I have owned with a bad compressor had that model compressor. Hope it is not the case for you!
Congrats on your second machine!

He's breeding guys!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 07:50:26 pm »

Nice find Cameron!
It's always nice to get a machine that is complete too!
Looks like it may have had an Empty Bottle Rack mounted on the right side...

My six cents,

Jim

rugrunner
10 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 08:39:33 pm »

That's some practice machine!

Nice find, good luck with it!
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 10:22:27 pm »

Nice find, although not as rare as your Pepsi 81, it is iconic, classic 50's. I am restoring a Vendo 39 myself. I love these machines and think they are so nostalgic.

Restoring a Coke machine is relatively easy. And as an old farmer friend of mine says, "you can fix anything if your throw enough money at it". Well I hope you don't have to throw to much at your new machine.

How's it feel to be hooked on this great ol hobby of our?

congrats.
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 10:36:05 pm »

39's are simple machines. You'll have it done in no time.

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
Cameron

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 11:32:33 pm »

Guys,

Thank you for the info. I will load the vending drum tomorrow and test it out. I will also attempt to free the slug rejector.

I love this machine. I'm amazed how intricate and delicate the slug rejector is. I'm tempted to take it apart, but I'm afraid of loosing or breaking the tiny parts.

Since the main cord (that plugs into the wall) was damaged, I did what Glen showed me and bypassed the system. I was able to get the compressor working and after about fifteen minutes the coils iced up beautifully.
Can I find a replacement for the main cord at a local Home Depot?

I'll start doing some research this week on getting the machine sand blasted and painted. Does anyone know if there is an official "Coke red" paint color? It appears that the machine may have fallen at some time. There is a significant dent about 1" deep at the top center of the door.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 11:34:06 pm by Cameron » Logged

Cameron
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 02:21:19 am »

Cameron

Well done on your find....

What I would do if I were you would be to invest in a wiring harness from one of the suppliers... You could make onyourself but it really does save all the agro. That way oyu know your wiring is new and safe. The main wire to the power outside the machine can be bought from your local store.

As for Coke colour... There are colour codes available on this site in the archive but what I would do would be pick a common car red that best fits your red you have at the moment and get them to spray it that colour. It will almost match and the good thing is that should you need to touch up in the future its readily availble to buy in touch up kits....

I've had a couple of 39's and they really are a great machine for the novice... If the compressor is working well then you are set. Just some body work and its done. The bonus is that you can vend the larger bottles too.

With regard to the slug rejector I have taken advice from this site and put it in the dishwasher... I had an anxious 2 hour wait but it came out fine. Allow it to dry and it worked like new. Tom, the resident coin mech expert can provide more advice in this area...

Those two machines of yours next to one another will look fantastic...

Good luck

Dave 
Cameron

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 04:25:46 pm »

Ok, soda machine experts I need help! I have spent several hours examining and learning all about the slug rejector.

It took me about an hour to figure out why the rejector was constantly rejecting my nickels.  The machine had been set to dimes only. I was able to figure out how to remove the plate and allow the rejector to accept both dimes and nickels.

My next major headache is trying to figure out why the scavenger arm keeps setting the rejector to reject all coins. When the rejector is removed from the coin mech I am able to get both dimes and nickels to be accepted and not rejected, at least most of the time.

Now, when I put the slug rejector back into the coin mech, the rejector accepts the coins for at least one vending cycle/turn of the crank handle.  For the next cycle the scavenger arm comes down, causing the top portion of the slug regector to be pushed out slightly, causing all coins to be rejected. Also, if I turn the crank handle just slightly, with no coins having been added, the scavenger arm comes down. The scavenger arm seems to be very tight, I can't get it to automatically retract and I have to manually lift it and close the swinging "door" on the top of the slug regector to reset the system.

I am also considering putting the slug rejector in the dishwasher per Dave's advice.

Any advice with the scavenger arm issue will be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 04:33:06 pm by Cameron » Logged

Cameron
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: